Races/Factions and story setting.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by commanderdaz, March 24, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's not about winning, but making sure that the other guy loses.

And that's how it ends for me, we don't give up until I will the pyrrhic victory.
  2. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

He is right though in that nihilism is boring, however for a multiplayer only game with only one faction it is very fitting.

If at some stage a campaign is written it would probably be a prequel that explains the fall so to speak.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Nihilism may be boring, but we already know that every Commander is fighting for an ideology. ITS Ideology. There might be one that's Nihilistic but you can be darn sure that there will be more esoteric goals that some of the Commanders are seeking.

Give Uber a chance to get a handle on the core functionality of the game, then we'll get some information about Commander Ideologies. Backstories for each Commander will exist.

Don't worry about your robot being faceless, because he simply wont be.
  4. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

For some reason I find this post quite reassuring, thanks nano. :)
  5. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You're most welcome. I'm just as excited about Commander Ideologies as anything else in the game, from the tiniest Peewee to the biggest Planet. Choosing a side in TA was part of the fun for me, and I was torn between the ARM playstyle and the CORE Ideology. I flip-flopped between the factions to listen to each story that the campaign offered and to imagine the process by which each unit was designed by my Commander. Loved the Necro... such a "machine" idea. Loved the Peewee and the Flash... felt very human to Rambo in with EMGs.

TA was so well designed.

PA will be too. I have no doubts
    (except about super units)
  6. RCIX

RCIX Member

I like how everyone is missing that A: the bit in the kickstarter trailer is just the setting, and B: Mavor has talked about having different lore factions and backstories.
  7. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

Just got TA back on my PC, oh the nostalgia, the overbearing and all-commanding imperial CORE it was fun to see how all their mission briefings ended with:

"DO SO NOW!!!"
  8. dreadnought808

dreadnought808 Member

Ah yes, I forgot about that. It's in the little things!

I still get emotional thinking about the first time I finished good old TA... with the (then) incredibly awesome outro cinematic, ending with stomping the opposing commander underfoot, then panning out to see the scorched landscape, devoid of all life... mmm.
  9. AustinMclEctro

AustinMclEctro New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but in terms of gamplay, not story: are there different unit trees or actual, different.. "races" planned? I haven't seen any definitive proof of such yet.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Single unit Pool, different Commanders.

Mike
  11. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

All commanders use the same units.