PvP vs Coop

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Gruenerapfel, January 28, 2013.

?

PvP or PvE

1. PvP

76 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. PvE

94 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. Morsealworth

Morsealworth Member

Oh yes, experimenting with the AI just for fun... It brings your S out...
  2. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Playing with my friends against AI is most fun for me.
  3. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

I like coop, but it's easy to find the hole in the AI and abuse it.
    So then can become a speedrun to abuse the AI as quickly as possible.

But from the long run, PvP is the only way to go :)
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

exactly, if you play quite a lot, and you want to improve, and you want a challenge, without any ridiculous cheats or anything, you have to play pvp
  5. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

Sorry, I don't trust cruddy Collectible card games.
  6. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

PvP is like the bacon for breakfast. RTS cannot be complete without it.
  7. yagle

yagle New Member

PvE (I assume OP ment playing vs. computer?) usually needs a good AI to be fun. Supreme Commander 1 was imho quite boring (even on hard level), because the AI never did any true attempts to invade my base. All I had to do was building a huge army, defend my base from little attacks, and crush the enemy.
    Multiplayer on the other side was definetly nice.
  8. thorneel

thorneel Member

PvP is like the bacon for breakfast. For some people, it's mandatory, but most people would never think about it.
    I personally like bacon from time to time, though I cook it quite crisp and people say that I'm burning it, while they generally take it nearly raw. And bacon isn't meant to go with anything, there are only so many things that make sense with bacon.
    And there is the problem that not everyone call "bacon" the same thing, depending on where you live.

Oh, and why isn't there the option "both" in the poll?
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

UP!

and the guy who wants to translate the game to german should be ashamed of pledging money to a game advertised as multiplayer only and wanting a vs AI more afterwards
  10. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

I assumed PvE just meant 'not' PvP.

Playing coop, against the ai, and missions.

I prefer PvE over PvP because it doesn't punish me for being a fool, something I don't often get a chance to do in real life :p

I've got no issue with PvP though, just not my cup of tea.
  11. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

There is no 'one is better than the other'

PVP is for when I've got an hour to concentrate. PVE is for those days where I have 10 minutes of spare time here and there throughout the day... or just feel like mucking about with no pressure.

It would be cool if I could start a massive game against the AI, and then invite a friend to help me mash the AI.. and then I can leave and he takes over for a bit.. until he leaves and I come back to continue the game.. hopping in & out of the same game when we have time
  12. Nukesnipe

Nukesnipe Member

Depends on the game, I personally find Starcraft players to be offensive and flamboyantly homosexual, so I'll play bot games.
    However I find Dota 2 bots to be laughably stupid/annoyingly co-ordinated*, so I'll play only real games there.

*One difficulty setting will have then run in and out of the Roshpit until they're all almost dead, the next will have then have perfect last hits and work as a hivemind with perfect synergy.
  13. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

PvP definitely. There is never any opportunity to Psyche! the AI...

and nobody is sneakier, underhand and more deceitful than those damned humans... no competition
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Lol, I think most people I met in ranked there were pretty nice.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Only takes one person to start a stereotype sadly...

Mike
  16. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

Such people who can't take that kind of human spontaniety over the internet need to unplug their modem forever, frankly.
  17. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

LOL me to. Play League of Legends and u know what real bm is.
  18. verklartenacht

verklartenacht New Member

I prefer 1v1 and in SupCom vanilla I also loved to play FFA with friends. We'd play big games with Pink, Sir Loui, TheLittleOne and the whole gang. Incredible fun! I find it incredibly boring to play against the computer.
  19. asgo

asgo Member

for me, it's the usual answer as with many polls:"it depends"
    I like coop in PvE situations, if it is done well in terms of AI and Scenario setup (independent of the game type RTS,RPG,FPS)
    PvP has its own attractions, but since I often play games only with half attention while watching tv or so, it isn't always my favorite. ;)

Another aspect is, that in recent years I observed a trend (at least in the games I played) that the AI stuff gets neglected more and more towards online multiplayer modes since they cost less dev time, work as a feature and double up as copy protection via accounts.
  20. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

My group of friends definitely prefer comp stomp. Once in a while I'll convince them to do a vs, but my team always wins and then it's back to comp stomp. Sorian's cheating SupCom AIs were a godsend for us.