PTE Stream: 73532

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 7, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Looks like they're trying!
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

There is a line on what should be a mod and what shouldn't. To me this is like replacing the streaming economy through a classic one and saying "there is a mod to change it back".
    Yes, I feel this is as essential to the nostalgia spirit as anything else.
  3. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Classic Color's mod. The opposite for all the "Team [something] Color" mods. If they made what was previously a mod part of core then they either always wanted it to work that way or it was so good they implemented it.

While you could ask for the option to enabled/disable the team color setting, such an option already exists. In the form of Client Side Mods. They spend a ton of time on mod support. So it could fix issues like this one.

I found a odd bug that appears to be new. I started 3-4 Testgames on the PTS (10 absurd AI, Battlefiled, FFA; me as spectator; on PTE; just to watch how the Sim Speed behaves). I only finished one, because every time I hit the Chronocam button a large part of the UI just "froze up". I prewrote this during the game to post it now:

"Trying to enter Chrono Cam as spectator in a all AI game seems to "crash" half the UI. The game keeps running but most of the UI is just offline/stuck.
    Planet and Player lists won't expand. Planet list won't highlight on mouseover. Chrono Cam Button never goes back to default state. In the rare cases the chrono cam did open, it did not react to any clicks.
    The continued running of the game is not registered in the taskbar (time gametime stays stuck).
    In the commander list defeated commanders would not properly update.
    Notifications would no appear/disapear anymore.
    Switching the sound/command focus between PiP and main screen was "laggy". It would not react to mouse over/mouse leave (at least most of the time), but required a click before focus was properly shifted.
    Hovering the mouse over a game asset would no longer give details.
    FPS was terrible, not getting beyond 15 FPS anymore despite lowest graphics and regardless how much was on screen.
    Hitting Menu Button (Escape) would play the sound effect but not show the menu.
    Several Sound effects (Booster. Nuke on final approach alert) would not play at all. Other sounds (like booster reaching Obrital) would play.
    The paths of interplanetary nuclear missiles would not be displayed on the system map, but other interplanetary travel was shown.

The game was still running, double click on most planet icons in the minimised planet lists still shifted focus (propably only those I had looked at before using the planet list?)

Feels like whatever thread is responsible to processing those events was locked up/crashed. One of the CoherentUI isntances was stuck around a persitent 13% CPU load while the others were idling at 0-1%.

Interstingly some issues (like the nuke alert and to some degree the FPS) got better after a while.

Instead of the summary screen at the end I got a blue screen with cursor. I had to quit via Alt+F4.
    Trying to reload the UI via F5 reloaded the ingame world, but the UI did not appear.

Screen Shoots:
    2014-10-07_00001.jpg 2014-10-07_00002.jpg 2014-10-07_00003.jpg "

Lobby ID: 16947410168360045826

P.S.: The sim speed worked fine by the way. It stayed around 10 Sim-FPS average. With it never even dropping to 9.0 at the worst phases.
  4. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Watching the Replay I noticed another odditiy/bug:
    Interplanetary Nuclear missile/orbital unit paths can sometimes lead them straight through a planet along the way. Unlike halleys it is only half a bug, as the missiles just ingores deep space colissions.
    Lobby ID: 16947410168360045826

2014-10-07_00004.jpg 2014-10-07_00005.jpg
  5. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Can you post your system specs?
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

DxDiag attached to the post. The game is defintely using the better GPU (Nivida). I will test what happens if I run it on the weaker one instead.

Edit: Same results on the Intel HD Series GPU as on the Nvidia one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 7, 2014
  7. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Area attack remains pretty much broken - units stand still most of the time after giving an area attack order, sometimes firing once they are in range, and stop immediately after. Infernos won't even move into firing range 90% of the time.
    optimi likes this.
  8. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Will investigate. Was not aware of this being a problem.
    websterx01, ArchieBuld and ace63 like this.
  9. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

May I inquire as to what was done to the server mod filter of invisibility? Is it worth to go back to modding yet or do people still not see modded games unless they change the filter?
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Okay, made a cross check. Started a game with the Stable Client. No issues.
    Quit the game via Alt+F4. Patched to PTE. Rejoined the same game as spectator. Happened instantly.
    Attached the logs for both runs.

Attached Files:

11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

At least as an experiment Uber should enable modded games in the server browser. They can always have a hotchange build on standby if it proves an unwise decision, but they should at least try and see if it ends up a positive change before assuming that it's 100% going to be negative.
  12. masterdigital

I was able to reproduce the problem in the office. I believe it is related to available memory (both machines had 8GB). I will look into solutions to the problem.
    websterx01, Remy561 and ArchieBuld like this.
  13. stuart98

@masterdigital

Would you answer @zweistein000's question please?
  14. masterdigital

I have permission to change the default behavior to show modded games. It will still take awhile before the change makes it into the live version.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

You just made a lot of modders happy :)
    zweistein000 and stuart98 like this.
  16. stuart98

Happy?

You've made us ecstatic. Elated.

I can not overstate my satisfaction.
    zweistein000 and cptconundrum like this.
  17. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I noticed an odd amount of Disk activity (a single HDD) while trying to play the PTE version.
    I had asumed it was some rare background process (Windows Update? Not disabeled auto defrag? Background virus scan?) as the activity was not credited to the CoherentUI or PA processes. But the resources monitor also claims 0% disk activity while the uber launcher downloads and moves the new game files, so those figures might be misleading.
  18. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Can you please make it so that we can sort the columns, i.e. number of players, number of empty slots, number of planets. I prefer a sorting feature over filtering. Also give us the ability to save our default view for the lobby.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  19. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

One easily fixable oddity in the system editor it'd be nice to see fixed is the "water level" on lava planets... It DOES work for changing the amount of lava on the planet, but as soon as you change it, the slider grays out. You then have to generate the planet to make the slider movable again.

It should be movable at all times and the slider should be named "lava prevalence" or something instead.
    websterx01 likes this.
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Please consider doing so before the server release update pretty please with sugar on top?
    zweistein000 likes this.