PTE Stream: 68772-main (Read before playing or posting)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, July 11, 2014.

1. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Scrolling in this build is getting worse and worse as the game progress, Nukes travel time is very long compared to other builds, orbital units travel time seems to be fine. Engineers still dont build mex if there is a wreck close to the mex spot.

If you select "game stats" in the endgame menu, there is no way to return to the "endgame" menu, to review the game.
    Last edited: July 12, 2014
  2. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I agree with what you are suggesting. I just don't think it is that big of a deal at the moment, since things are in flux so much. Finish major features, then fix the UI.

The people that were confused most likely have already left, the ones that care will figure it out. If the game had been "Officially" released as a finished product then this would be completely unacceptable.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

And the ones who read Steam forums might not have bought it at all since it doesn't have skirmish, according to people who own it.
    fajitas23, SXX, aevs and 1 other person like this.
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Strongly disagree with that sentiment, it's a safe bet that there are people playing GW exclusively now, moaning that there is no normal skirmish. The fix involves renaming a button. It takes 30 seconds to find the button in the html, and another minute to find the localisations.

TBH I think skirmish should be the first thing new players play. Galactic war tech play only makes sense if you know the tree. Ideally, clicking on GW for the first time should pop up a window explaining how and why to do a skirmish.
    fajitas23 and aevs like this.
  5. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I can confirm, opening the pathing view works fine, but when closing it a client crash occurs

EDIT: Also in my case I didn't have an option to reconnect after the crash, which leads me to believe it also causes a server crash
  6. crazymario

crazymario New Member

Seems like backwards design to me. Seems like Galactic War should be the main single player experience and where new players start in order to LEARN the tech tree. Y'know, starting off with only a few basic options and then expanding the tree so you're gradually learning everything the game has to offer. I don't like the idea that Galactic War is only for the guys that already know the game.
  7. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

So, I made a system with one planet slowly chasing another. And in reality, what I got was painfully slow chase. And the collision was supposed to be gentle. Like, really really light. You know, like a handshake opposed to punch in the face (moon smash with halley). And when they finally got close, It seemed that they won't even collide and I missed. But. After waiting for few more minutes, both planets touched each other gentle with what seemed like a few square meters of their surfaces at the speed of snails making love. And life on both planets got annihilated. I guess impact force and planet sizes will be accounted later, right?

But. That is not the point. Since I spent too much time creating this, naturally I'd want to watch it over and over. So I used chrono and got back. Oh yeah here they touch again. Then I got back again and.... explosion effect won't go away! I was scrolling time back and forth, to the very beggining and end, no help. Huge white cloud of sprites covering half of both planets during entire match replay.

BTW, it's entirely possible to synchronize planets and make them be like two meters apart all the time. I wonder if: a) land units on one planet will get vision on stuff on second planet b) in case they can, will they be able to attack?
  8. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

To be fair, idk say that. slight misqoute
  9. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Think of planets as squishy liquid balls with a very thin, very sensitive layer of film on the outside. any collision between two similar sized objects on a planetary level is going to completely ruin that outer layer, by sending ripples through the liquid center (the mantle).
    tollman likes this.
  10. trialq

trialq Post Master General

That would be fine if the galactic war was a tutorial, that guided the player through the tech expansion and didn't include buffs. It plays very differently to a normal game or a tutorial. I just think the buffs and tech reduction work best when you come from a stance of knowing the core game, so you adapt from a normal style of play instead of initially learning an abnormal style of play.
    fajitas23 likes this.
  11. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Had a few games crash in the game lobby generating random planes, the game just stop responding.
  12. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Yes I had a few crashes when I selected the "land anywhere" option. That seems to be bugged as it will crash 100% of the time when I try it.

Running with --nomods too.
  13. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I believe @garat said that would happen. You have to make custom systems.
  14. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Okay but it seems kinda random, its not all the time it crash.
  15. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Oh, just a warning that if you want to do a flyby, you should make sure your planets are doing it traveling in opposite directions. having 2 planets approach one another and skim by slowly causes the smash particle effect and sound to play continuously (constant high pitched note, stacking particle effects), and the game to lag out a lot. Not sure about crater formation though, since the stacked particle effects were so extreme I couldn't make out any of the planet surface.
  16. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

this update in PTE....it's smashing!
  17. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

18. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I figured I'd do some easy games on a metal planet, since there was so much trouble with units falling off ledges.

First one only had one issue, ordered com to build some stuff on the other side of a trench (and bunch of boom bots), and he walked in circles for while. 9507086233310014352, around 8:40

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 13.47.12 .png

Second game (6831383102868008841) had lots of issues

A good point: large groups of bomb bots used to push each other over the ledge.
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 13.56.54 .png

However, this guy took a long walk off a short ledge. You'll also notice it's quite dark, FOW cuts out when I zoom in. That point needs some more testing - it didn't occur when I watched the replay.

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 14.06.08 .png

These scouts are also quite lost (4:20, 4:35)

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 13.57.08 .png

And this guy is stuck in a corner (4:40) looking at the replay, he drove on the raised section, and then fell off the edge. I saw a couple others in similar situations, they didn't have the platform excuse.

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 13.57.14 .png

Orthogonal obstacles pose a serious issue (not just for bomb bots) (13:05)

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 14.03.39 .png

And bomb bots just don't work (9:30) It almost looked like they were pushing the commander, but not doing any noticeable damage.

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 14.34.11 .png

A bot fabber tried to hide in a trench (8:50) It worked quite well for him - the tank I sent to kill him couldn't hit him until I moved much closer (11:30)

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 14.36.06 .png
    aevs and SXX like this.
  19. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

With regards to pathing, air fabbers trying to build a T2 air factory struggled, circling around the center of the building at high speed:

Attached Files:

20. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

How do I see pathing view on my client?