PTE Stream: 65240

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, May 2, 2014.

1. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Thanks, I seem to have disabled updates some time ago, probably because it was downloading and eating my bandwidth or something. Anyway this is the new dxdiag.

Attached Files:

2. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Just did a PTE game (although I don't think it's related to PTE) and noticed, on a small planet (radius 200) having some metal spot really close to each other, than T1 (yellow) / T2 (blue) mex's were not aligned correctly (supposed to fit one into the other):
    [​IMG]
    So I ended with mutant structures :D
    On the below one, T2 was build straight over the T1.
    On the top one, I reclaimed the T1 (hence the ground stain) to be able to build T2 (not possible otherwise), then T1 back.
    I don't think it is supposed to happen, right ? (tried to find a recent similar bug on tracking bug website and forum, but none found)
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Not sure which build this showed up in. I think I remember a comment about "anti nuke got it's own icon" but all I could think of was the build bar icon.

Nukes and anti-nukes now appear as independent strategic icons, and when you are close enough, you can distinguish both the launcher from the missile, as well as their independent health bars. The random layering interferes with use at the strategic level, plus the icon is there while under construction, so it doesn't tell you whether it's ready to fire.

Anti-nuke launcher shows it's metal/energy on hover, but nuke launcher does not. Nuke has been that way for a while, but I'd never looked at anti-nuke before.

Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 08.58.44 .png Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 09.01.20 .png Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 09.01.59 .png

API: jumping to a unit close in now gives a slight side perspective instead of straight down.

Side note: testing missile command is going to be kind of painful with these costs. Hopefully the same forces will make it less necessary.
    burntcustard likes this.
  4. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I found another one.

Unit icons seem to be flying out of a teleporter when a unit enters it. Let me know if I should upload a video of it.

It's very fast, so it only flashes up once, but it's still visible.

Also, this happened for me, units now seem to be reluctant to carry out move orders. Sometimes half of a group stops not far from where they started, or half way to their destination.
  5. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

That has always been there ever since the teleporter was added. I honestly like the idea that units are going through a wormhole to the next teleporter, so seeing the icon for a split second makes sense to me. It is still probably a bug though.
  6. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

This build have big issues with move order , sometimes only a few of the units move, other times they only travel half the distance.
    burntcustard and popededi like this.
  7. popededi

Really interesting how this is the first time I spotted it :) To be fair this was the first sandbox game I played on the PTE for the sake of testing, usually I just play against the ai.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I have not tested myself, but from what other described in the irc that may be the result of move orders turning into "attack that tree" instead. Once the tree dies they will just stop doing anything. The order has been completed after all.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Interesting theory. I did have some issues on a moon, but I tried a game on a heavily forested planet this morning and it was barely playable. Area attack seemed to have better success than move.
  10. popededi

Unfortunately it happens to me on planets with no trees at all.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Can also happen with wreckage and enemy units, but obviously it's by far the worst on 100% tree planets.
    wondible likes this.
  12. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I've had a few problems with pathing in this PTE. One time on a moon when I ordered a big block of bots to move, literally the left half started walking and the other half just stood there.
  13. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

The game I played was on a lava planet.
  14. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I am loving this build. I like all the changes to orbital. Obviously still some balancing to do, but over the progress is awesome.
  15. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

There are known pathing issues in he PTE build.
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

There are known pathing issues EVERYWHERE. I run into walls sometimes and start spinning in circles when I go to the sink.

curse the Dox and their clumsy walking algorithms.... :D

It's starting to rub off :D

In other news, I sent a quad of engineers to a peninsula by clicking in the middle of it. They had to travel through rough terrain, around a lake, and through a very tight bottleneck - and they got there. Right as I sent my air fab over to start T2 air. A pleasant surprise, I must say.
    emraldis likes this.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Not to be too cynical or anything, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why anyone would use dox or slammers in the PTE, either in place of or to complement other units. I think there are more cost effective alternatives to both.

It seems genadiers are much better than dox at almost everything (4 times higher DPS, longer range, and very similar projectile arc and speed). I can't really think of a reason to build dox over grenadiers. Does anyone else agree on that? Should dox be given some other change, such as a speed increase, to compensate? Should grenadiers have some aspect nerfed to make them less effective than their current iteration? (I would suggest a health decrease to punish incorrect use of grenadiers and/or a decreased firing rate).

As for slammers, they're just not very cost effective. You get much more bang for your buck with a swarm of grenadiers in most situations, of course. I don't know if I have any problems with this, since T1 units are supposed to be the bread and butter of combat (I think), but then I'm not sure what the role of the slammer is supposed to be. In those situations where slammers perform better than grenadiers (when range is more important), snipers excel far better than slammers do.
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

As T1 spam is more common on this build I typically mass produce slammers instead of Gil-Es to lessen the overkill, although after looking at the numbers that appears to be a mistake given how much more efficient Grenadiers are than Slammers...

I'd say do one of the following to grenadiers:

A. Lower their speed
    B. Lower their RoF
    C. Increase their arc.

The last one makes the most sense, but increases micro.
    aevs likes this.
  19. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Grenadiers are very deadly, yeah. 12 times the DPS for the same metal cost as slammers (although with a lower range). Back them up with a handful of snipers and combat fabbers, and they're downright terrifying.
  20. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I just want to remind everyone that the current T2 prices and strengths relative to T1 units is currently in flux. They are literally changing things twice a day (at least, according to my download frequency....) and nothing is final. Take this time to further flesh out orbital, and especially T1 balance. NOTE TO EVERYONE:

It takes approximately 60 T1 bombers to kill a commander right out. Try it on someone. It is really funny. :p