PTE Steam: 65407

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, May 7, 2014.

1. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Has this always been possible ?
    Terrain.jpg

Or do we see the first hints of some more sophisticated terrain features ? :p
  2. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I have to retry it.. I just realized that for some reason PAMM didn't turn off my transparent strategic icons mod.

EDIT: Turned off mods, Still no metal icons. A bit annoying, but at least it's playable now.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  3. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Raevn's post had been edited to list the units and unit types affected well before clopse posted (it was edited before I posted as well).
    I have a feeling he was probably referring to Scathis' approach to balancing, which reminds me a bit of this:

As an example from the PTE, the grenadier has almost 20% more range than the dox, quadruple the damage output, has splash damage, and costs the same as a dox (which is otherwise very similar). It's very clear that these two units are not balanced yet relative to oneanother.

This is of course the PTE build, experiments are to be expected and Scathis' approach can definitely work, but for an impatient player it might seem like the balance bus is swerving out of control instead of gradually turning toward the right direction.
  4. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Yes, you can build on plateaus with ramps. Try building on rampless plateaus.

Anyway, that feature will be added one day. (Soon™)
  5. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Hmm..I am still hoping for more diversified brushes that play a larger role in gameplay (don't simply act as randomly placed obstacles).
  6. zweistein000

I did. First thing.
  7. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Something else going on then, because this bug was one of the things we held it up til the afternoon for, because we noticed the fix hadn't been integrated. Or it's a new bug showing up in a similar manner. Mods will definitely mess with this. Other than that, double check your UI settings. PLay around with them, and if you find one being on/off is making it behave this way, let us know what it is. There's only one option that should be controlling this now, and it should be fully decoupled from the normal strat icons selection.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  8. zweistein000

OK, will do. I'll report back the findings.
  9. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Where are you getting this info from? Pics or it didn't happen.

EDIT: aevs was right and I assume this is Uber being silly and breaking something, not purposefully making the dox terribad.

EDIT again: I think I overreacted but I'm still confused.

Pretty obvious the Dox / Grenadier aren't "finished" yet though, they're way too similar as it is.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  10. aevs

aevs Post Master General

http://pa-db.com/unit/assault_bot?version=65407 (PTE)
    http://pa-db.com/unit/bot_grenadier?version=65407 (PTE)

Dox: 2 weapons, 10 damage shots every 1 second each, 80 range
    Grenadier: 2 weapons, 80 damage shots (40 splash damage) every 2 seconds each, 95 range

There are of course a few things the dox has a leg up on (muzzle velocity), but I can't imagine the difference there is significant enough to make up for that damage and range difference.
    burntcustard likes this.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

the grenadier was too weak. now too strong perhaps but this really is balance testing. you have too see both what too little and too much is.
  12. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Back before PTE? If it had the same stats as the dox, then I wouldn't be surprised. The grenadier may be overpowered, but the dox (and slammer) are pretty ineffective as well. They occupy the opposite extremes.

There's an interesting entry on PA DB though; another dox, but an amphibious dox with twice the damage output. I would love to see something like that make the PTE, see if it gives the dox more utility than the grenadier in some situations.
  13. zweistein000

After extensive testing and fiddling with the settings this came up:

sadface.png

Whole lot of nothing. I tried turning on/off all the settings, I tried different quality settings, different sample rates and I tried pressing ALL the buttons on my keyboard, to no avail. Well... you guys still have 2 and a half days left.
  14. garat

Windows, Mac or Linux? Just want to make sure we're looking at the right thing.

While it shouldn't matter, if on windows, try to temporarily remove your localstore (just rename it to see if it helps without losing it):

BootDrive:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\ -> Renamed the localstore directory to localstore.old or some such. Don't delete it unless you don't care about any saved settings or systems. This is purely to see if there might be corruption in your localstore.

If you're not on windows, we'll need to run some tests internally on Mac and Linux to see what we can find.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  15. zweistein000

Still nothing. I'm on windows.

Attached Files:

16. garat

Well, you're still using that April 2013 driver, but that honestly shouldn't the problem. I'd expect it to just crash outright. I thought you said you had updated to the latest driver recently?
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Here's a planet that demonstrates some more weird pathing behaviour:
    Units given move orders across an obstruction will sometimes take the much longer route around it. This should be reproducible. (descriptions in album)

That misquote seriously confused and startled me for a few seconds. :confused:
  18. garat

Whoops, sorry about that, man. :)
  19. zweistein000

Yea, I did. Strange... I downloaded and used this. I updated my driver by uninstalling the old one and reinstalling the "new" one. Also my CCC says that my driver IS version 13.9.

EDIT: It does say on their webpage though that the card is no longer getting optimised and that updates are only there to deal with specific software problems.
  20. garat

Ahh, that would explain the driver date then. They can continue to fix OpenGL issues as they come up without making significant changes to the core driver set.

Like I said, that's new enough, I wouldn't have it expected to matter anyway. I'll see if we can track down the 4600 in the office to try this out with.