PTE build 85104-pte is now live!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, July 16, 2015.

1. pinbender

pinbender Active Member

The history curve schema is static. It is actually so static that it is defined in a json file that is read by a python script that generates C++ code for both the client and server. Adding dynamic behavior even for the native layer would be a significant undertaking, even without exposing it to client or server script code.
    wondible likes this.
  2. pinbender

pinbender Active Member

We actually did that to make it easier on our end to manage the commander list when we add custom commanders.
  3. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Sadly commander_list.json cannot be shadowed or modified by a server mod so it's still not possible to add custom commanders into a game without hijacking any existing commander.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

:(

Well here's to hoping that the new commander API changes are extended just a little more :)
  5. Greendolph

Greendolph Active Member

[​IMG]
    reptarking, xanoxis, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Concerning the whole mod discussion which is going on in this thread:
    I think it is pretty safe to assume that extending mod support is your best bet to increase the longevity of PA at this point (that is if there is any further feature development planned).
    Lets face it: Modding in PA is not in a great state, bearing all kinds of limitations, and there are plenty of people who aren't really happy with the balance/unit roster/concepts/etc.. of the base game.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

I kind of expected that. Hence the suggestion to add tags as a values in the data domain.

That would mean user specified data isn't compacted in any user specified schema, instead you are solely acting as a fixed schema key-value storage. Internally, that only means as many new static(!) schemata as there are different curves, each schema serving as key-value storage for one specific type.

Building models on top of the key-value-storage already belongs into the user domain - have trust in the community, they will develop an abstraction fast enough once the API is available.

So you don't actually need any dynamic behavior on the native layer. Virtually nothing needs to change on that end, there's really only little more than the API, both in client and server version.
    ace63 likes this.
  8. cruzzfishthereal

cruzzfishthereal New Member

For a recommendation, could planets hitting planets just go back to the beta-era "kill everything but leave the planet more or less intact" and have asteroids do the current cratering system rather than have the planets completely destroyed? I feel like these should be used as a strategic method in larger(say 4 or more teams) matches for taking over planets easily to gain an advantage over another player, and the metal planet as the only means of outright destroying a planet other than using it as ammunition. Destroying planets should only be used as a last resort sort of thing, or to make sure that another player doesn't get it.
    kayonsmit101 and ace63 like this.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Craters have never worked well in PA. There was not one build where they affected pathing. The ground they obliterated either always stayed where it was, with stuff floating on top of it, or it instakilled anything that went near it. The crater system was simply bad.

On the other hand, I think halleys should have the following changes.

Halley cost should be reduced to 25k.
    A minimum of 3 halleys are required to smash anything, asteroids inclusive.
    Reeduce halley size by 35%.

Now not only do they look more like they did in the ks trailer, but they're better balanced with the annihilaser!
    ace63 likes this.
  10. veep

veep Member

I noticed that it's pretty hard to load/unload anything with an Astreus on an asteroid, I think because of the low radius.
  11. killerkiwijuice

Why?

If we want to see asteroids become useful on 1v1 maps then I agree with the cost decrease only.
    xankar likes this.
  12. stuart98

No no no no no!

Previously halleys were balanced around one halley permanently destroyed planets that only left craters versus annihilasers that destroyed whole planets.

Now both destroy whole planets, but an annihilaser costs five times as much as an asteroid.

Annihilasers are, more or less, useless now.

Balancing end game weapons around a 1v1 is silly. It's just like any other game mode. Unless it's a low metal system, eventually they'll afford it, all you can change is when.
    ace63 likes this.
  13. killerkiwijuice

You can use the annihilaser on multiple planets.

Anyway, that's why I wish asteroids didn't destroy the entire planet. I wish that planets destroy the entire planet, and asteroids leave a crater.

But unfortunately that presents some technical issues.
    xankar, rivii, kayonsmit101 and 2 others like this.
  14. stuart98

What you wish for isn't happening, so we need to make balance changes to accomodate what is.

An annihilaser takes five times as long to build as an asteroid currently. It destroying multiple targets is irrelevant when it's going to be destroyed long before it can shoot anything.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  15. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks bud ! Will test this as soon as i'm back from m'y summer holidays :)
  16. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Hey. Is or will at any point be the asteroid smashing mechanic modable? I really hate the lazy it just destroys everything implementation and would rather see the old system with craters removed and have asteroids leave a permanent black scorch mark. We really don't need another copy of annihilaser in the game.
    rivii, kayonsmit101, ace63 and 3 others like this.
  17. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I would love to be able to watch my "large" games in the Replay section :) Are you guys looking at the issue?
    warrenkc likes this.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I think Faster Server Browser increases the timeout which should allow you to watch them. Uber could change it, though it would mean replays which aren't loading right will look like the game has hung.
    FSN1977 and warrenkc like this.
  19. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I Will give it a try, thanks :)
  20. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I love the extra polish on area placement. Really nice. The only thing I'd add to that is an arrow to the teleporter blueprint. That way players can easily see how they should place the tele. The design can give you some tell but for new players its really hard ( I struggled as well).

I've also got some bugs but I'll post those later.
    Remy561 likes this.