PTE Build 81029-pte is now up!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkrater, April 21, 2015.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Oh, I managed a local server crash. But I didn't get a crash report for the (local) server. It happened within ten seconds after my second save against an Absurd AI. I've attached the logs.

Saving always is accompanied by a 1-2 seconds freeze as the file is written and during the freeze of the last save an Ubercannon had gone off that destroyed a large chunk of my units. At least, I assume it was, since I obviously missed it during the freeze. Within ten seconds after that, the server crashed. So maybe it's related and maybe not of course.

And I couldn't reproduce after loading the save again. :(

Attached Files:

2. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

woah, talk about a ninja patch with the resume from anywhere, I was expecting a bit of hype beforehand...

gunna have to test this tomorrow.
    websterx01 and ArchieBuld like this.
  3. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Bugreport:

Resume related:
    Game did not end when I resumed the game from a previous point, don't know if that is what the statement in the op meant. I thought it meant that you cannot chronoresume when the game has ended already.

Here a dead AI commander seemed to be revived by the resume, according to the top left icon. This probably caused the victory screen not to pop up and thus resulting in a neverending game. He died before the resume happened and I resumed after his death. The commander didn't exist in the game though, the game just thought he wasn't dead yet. The undead commander icon is shown in the screenshot below. Radar and full patrol on both planets doesn't seem to detect him.

Rocket not destroyed after destroying its launcher.
    [​IMG]

At different angles it also seems to repaint itself to my team colour, guess it likes me :)
    [​IMG]

Not resume related:
    Grenadiers don't want the enemy to die, they missing. The commander was walking in small circles to avoid the bullets though, but their aim seems to be off a lot. So it could be a miss prediction due to the AI anoying me with his moves.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, I think combat fabbers should evenly distribute themselves evenly among armies, now the front rows were killed almost instantly because the combat fabbers couldn't reach them from the back. So combat fabbers and scouts should be distributed among the army so all units have fabbers and vision to support them.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    FSN1977, warrenkc, tesseracta and 6 others like this.
  4. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

This build wasn't pushed to steam ?
    Nevermind I am a silly person.
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I loaded it on Steam shortly after it was announced.

EDIT: perhaps you missed this is a PTE release, not a stable one.
  6. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

Haven't played in a while, some observations.

Absurd AI is way too easy, he doesn't expand much, doesn't build enough fabbers to use his resources, and doesn't fortify his base with enough static defences.
    Somewhere back in beta I remember the AI doing more like a total annihilation thing where he just kept building endless sprawling bases that took over the map if you let him, that was GREAT, do THAT !
    Are bigger planets like radius 800 considered at all in AI behaviour ? it's like he's blind to any resources too far away from his base.

Also is an annihilation gamemode ever coming ? the AI doesn't protect his commander much, I don't want to have to rely on him HAVING to to have a challenging battle.
    whisperr likes this.
  7. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Awesome! Great feature, will test it for you if I can.
  8. Quitch

I did a short rewind in an AI skirmish with Queller and it worked without issue. Should have used it in that Galactic War where I lost on the first planet :)
    Remy561 likes this.
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Played a PTE game @mkrater .

• It looks like factory spacement is working. Didn't tested it in cramped bases yet. There is one problem I found out though. Naval factory's can be a bitch to place on some maps. If the shore isn't steep enough then fabricators might not be able to build the naval factory far enough in the water (and thus can't build it). I recommend taking a more closer look at the naval factory placement. It seems like the spacing also applies on if there are csg's or heightmap obstacles.
    pa 2015-05-03 12-47-31-04.jpg
    • Remembers my AI difficulty which is something really nice. Even when closing down the game ( I like those details)
    • secondary colour fix works on my end too (which is another nice polish fix).
    • The chronocam economy tab still isn't working properly when I go back into chronocam. It won't update the economy digits.
    • Seems like naval is more accurate. I do kinda miss the speed of the projectiles but I'll happy trade it if it makes them more accurate.
    Also I got some more intel on the radar not showing all the enemy dots on the map. It seems like as long as the radar has power and funtioning it'll only show the enemy dots that were there when the radar was builded. You can get a really solid repro by starting a sandbox game with the AI and build a t2 radar with the avatar. You'll see like three dots of the enemy base until you scout em 2 minutes later. Suddenly there is a whole base with a nice army over there waiting to kill you. A pretty gnarly bug
    kayonsmit101 and elodea like this.
  10. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

What's the problem in this screenshot?
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The fabber is stuck on the factory, rather then driving around.
  12. Quitch

The fabber is stuck on the factory.
  13. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

I think the 1v1 screen should say "other players in queue" instead of "players in queue"
  14. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

In the current stable version, Absurd AI often seemed easier than Relentless AI.

However, I installed the QuellerAI mod and the Absurd AI label is much more appropriate imo. Granted I'm barely out of noob status, but where I used to win the naval battles routinely on Poseidon, games now last 40 minutes and I only win about 25% of the time.

Perhaps this mod (or it's concepts) can be incorporated into the vanilla version.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Considering that the AI has never been good at orbital play, the idea that the AI has ever been difficult is kind of a stretch.
  16. Quitch

One thing worth noting about the Pacific system is that the vanilla AI will do much better on the southern spawn than the northern one. Try making it player one instead of two. You will see similar behaviour on Forge where it plays better at the south (same with Queller).

I'm guessing it's due to how it searches for a place to put things.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

You know, it never occurred to me to try that. It would be good for me to practice that, because when I end up on the southern end of planets during ranked games, it throws me for a loop. Nothing looks as it should. Seems like AI and I have something in common. :)
    dom314 likes this.
  18. Cleverwater

Cleverwater New Member

PTE issue: I seem to be getting a "Can't connect to server" error when trying to start a Skirmish game after the Building Planets phase.

This doesn't happen on the stable version. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a function of it being PTE? I'm on OSX Yosemite, current point release.
  19. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It seems to work for me on the current PTE, albeit with Linux. Do you use the local server or do you play on Uber's server. If you have 8GB of RAM or more, you would be using the local server by default. You can switch behaviour by going to settings -> server and force the local server on or off. Does that make a difference?
  20. Cleverwater

Cleverwater New Member

I have the server setting as the same in both Stable and PTE as Auto and US Central. However, after a second attempt it got me into a game. Maybe it's just finicky in the lobby screen.

I tooled around with the Idle AI and tried loading some Prototype planets in the Skirmish but I continued getting the CCTS errors so I decided to not tinker with anything in the lobby besides colors and AI difficulty and it worked fine.

I noticed the System designer that I could spin the planet using the arrow keys but in the stable client where I have camera mapped to WASD I cannot spin the camera.

The other thing I was wondering about is more of a function question: what the heck does a move order of Roam do versus a normal move order? I could not see a difference unless it's in the AI's target aggressiveness because pathing looked the same when I tested two identical routes using both movement orders.