PTE Build 80155-pte is now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkrater, March 25, 2015.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

On the previous PTE the chronocam was working fine for me post-game. I was only spectating though, the behaviour might be different as a player.
  2. earth75

earth75 Member

I do think that AOE is a good thing but with these things in mind :
    - AOE must be small enough to damage only units that are visually clipping with the dying unit
    - It affecting both allies and enemies seems fine to me
    - The most important : only AIR units should be affected by this. It should not be possible to kill comms with this
    - Last thing but It may not be possible in te current state of the engine, it to trigger it upon destruction of the uni, but not in the case of a deletion
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

There should be visible feedback on structure bounds while placing. Now it feels like factories being placed slide and pop around somewhat arbitrarily.
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

and there really should be some notification while placing them if they block a metal spot or not...
    Zaphys, tenaciousc and earth75 like this.
  5. earth75

earth75 Member

so much yes. Maybe the build preview turn orange, to say that its not RED, but its not WHITE either.
  6. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Have the metal spot icon (the green hexagon) turn orange if a wireframe is over it and red if a building is over it.
    Last edited: March 31, 2015
    perfectdark likes this.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Why the differentiation?
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

The wireframes already change color of they cannot be placed. I suppose both work basically the same, but the metal spot indicator changing color popped into my head first.
  9. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Serious question: Why did AOE death weapons EVER affect anything but air units?
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

something i like to be added to pte
    is giving the t2 combatfabber more defenses i suggest the pelter, umbrella radar and eventualy catapult giving the invading player a chance to build a forward firebase and option to secure his teleporter more ...
    also regarding reclaim fabbers should use at minimum less than half energy for reclaim they would use for building
    and reclaiming needs its own effect as well ...

also hornetmovement needs to be changed .. it behaves too much like a gunship than bomber ...
    Last edited: March 31, 2015
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Prototype map feedback:
    System 1:
    [​IMG]

Cons:
    • This map will be very dox heavy because of large terrain barriers and water.
    • Navy is likely not going to be as important as it could be since there is little mex in the water.
    • The moon has too much metal. It should probably have around 5-10 mex as a bonus to anyone who bothers to go there.
    Pros
    • The mex count is decent. I always like to see more though :p
    • CSG is nice. The cracks are very...... obstructive. I like how you removed hampering land in the water with craters :p
    System 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cons
    • Too many cracks
    • A little boring since there is no kind of exciting terrain feature like a mountain range, etc. It's the kind of thing people talk about when they say the "planets are boring". Some additions to the system editor would be great.............
    • Pathing might be bad with all of the random little CSGs scattered
    • Is going to probably be dox heavy. The lack of terrain for vehicles to pass over is fairly severe. Again, i don't like the raiding niche of dox. It makes them the only useful unit on large maps because raiding metal is the only way to weaken your opponent; dox are fast enough to do that easily.
    Pros
    • Looks like a smiley face
    • The metal is near perfect
    • The water is near perfect... but there is no mex in the water. It's likely going to be very turtle-y since there are some HEAVY choke points.
    • proxies are going to be easy since metal is so abundant.

System 3:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cons
    • The smaller crack at the spawn ruins the flow of head-on battles. There's already enough chokes on the equator. If it was smaller it might be very interesting to see. One could put pelters up to defend incoming attacks.
    • The moon is a copy from Cerburus from Styx.
    Pros
    • I really like the back area with the craters and spread out metal.
    • Metal placement is near perfect. There should probably be some metal surrounding the 4 way ramp though.
    • CSG is near perfect
    • not boring
    This looks like the most promising map.

Overall, pretty nice looking for all maps. I guess this list came in order of least favorite to most favorite.
    I still would like to see a gas giant maybe, orbital might need more units for that to be fun though. The thing that makes an RTS map best is flow and excitement; flow = how does each game play out? Is it concentrated on one front, or spread out between everything? Excitement = CSGs. It's so important to make a map that's not boring, because then the other half of fun is taken away.
    Alpha2546, Zaphys and earth75 like this.
  12. Quitch

If you could please add UNITTYPE_Bomb to the Booms, or anything which allows me to differentiate them from Dox, that'd be lovely :)
    cdrkf, stuart98 and igncom1 like this.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You could give them unittype_custom1 since what you're doing is a server mod anyway?
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  14. truthtaco

truthtaco New Member

Recently played a game where my avenger wouldn't attack my opponents avenger and his wouldn't attack mine. We weren't allies. Also played a game where my pelter wouldn't an opponents pelter, despite being hit directly by it. I kept repairing it and it just wouldn't attack. This is the stable build on windows 8. I haven't completely disabled all mods yet but if I do and still experience the problem in the future I'll make another post...

This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of problems I've had.
  15. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

And also astraeus and plane-astraeus doesn't want to pick stuff up, or even if they did, they dont want to drop stuff down
    Last edited: April 1, 2015
  16. Quitch

Then I have to maintain the file which I'd rather avoid if necessary, it also means I break any mod which wants to modify the Boom Bot. Since unit types appear to be a way to allow things like the AI to differentiate units it seems the Booms should have something to tell it apart from the Dox.
    Last edited: April 1, 2015
  17. cola_colin

It seems commanders cannot support the construction of subs, can anybody confirm that?
    warrenkc likes this.
  18. truthtaco

truthtaco New Member

I have had that problem. I also seem to remember level 1 construction ships having trouble assisting the level 1 ship factory.
    warrenkc likes this.
  19. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

I was thinking, should there be a space bar function similar to SupCom were you got to see the base from an angled view? I know there is the camera that is already in the game, which is awesome too, but it would be cool to see your base like you can in SupCom.

I can't remember if the space bar does anything.:confused:

anyways, Love PA!!
  20. cola_colin

check the settings there are some free camera functions, but I keep forgetting the hotkeys for them.