PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Who can shoot through walls now actually?
    If I make a wall can I myself shoot through from all sides?
  2. skypheonix20

skypheonix20 Member

we still can and enemy's not.
  3. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Should be able to select walls and then control click a structure to build a circle of walls around it
    Uber pls
    iron71, warrenkc and destravous like this.
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I suppose it would force a little more strategic thought as to wall placement. "Do you expect to defend from the north or the west? Do you place the walls so that the defend best from the north or the west," and so on.
  5. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Yeah you are probably right, power management of wall segments would be too difficult. Although it does seem a little strange to have an energy barrier that doesn't drain energy...
    warrenkc likes this.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That's easy, just make the energy drain really low (e.g. 1) then the walls don't need managing, however they will still shut down in the event of e stall, would make targeted strikes against pgens interesting....
    warrenkc, Planktum and Tripod27 like this.
  7. Planktum

But that's the thing, by building early storage you are not wasting your early Eco so you actually have more early Eco at your disposal and are less likely to stall. You see once you get a couple fabbers out you can then start taking advantage of the stored Eco.
    warrenkc and Tripod27 like this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That would make energy stalls really really painful mistakes though.
    cptconundrum and cdrkf like this.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Would be awesome, for the case of walls, if when you go to build them overtop of an allied structure, the game could tell it's an allied structure so instead of making the structure red and unplaceable it simply builds them entirely around the perimeter of the thing that is blocking it.

That would be simple for the UI. No need to toggle, if you don't want built around building don't attempt to place it directly inside of a building, why else would anyone do that for?
    tommybananas and warrenkc like this.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

True, still energy is easier to manage now... It would also encourage newer players to make energy (or just spawn lots of 'my walls are broken' posts lol)... The point is though given the walls now block most things, but let friendly fire through, they really need a weakness imo, and this would be ideal :p
    towerbabbel, Tripod27 and Planktum like this.
  11. Planktum

Or alternatively we make walls have a reasonable energy drain but highest priority for energy draw. That means walls are always on and they have a constant affect on your build power, more walls (defense) means less energy for fabrication (building offense). Obviously if you don't have enough power even for your walls, then the walls start switching off automatically, but you would have to be pretty low on power and therefore your base already decimated by the enemy for this to actually happen.
    Last edited: February 17, 2015
    warrenkc likes this.
  12. Planktum

Yeah and this would stop people from turtling behind walls, I.e. you can turtle behind walls if you like but it will have a major effect on your energy management, I.e. you can't just turtle and keep massing a huge army behind your walls. If you start stalling due to overcommitting to build power then you risk your walls powering down. Risk reward
    warrenkc likes this.
  13. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

cd3.jpg
    I couldn't help it when I read "casuals." :)
  14. knub23

knub23 Active Member

In fact, the changes should buff the Pgens. If you assume the commander builds mostly factories, the build rate of these is now 2/3 slower than before. Meaning you need less Pgens. Also metal is now build slower than before, Pgens are built at the same rate (if you don't let the com build them), so now the energy income grows faster in relation to your metal income. And your production (usage) grows slower. This is all under the assumption the commander builds factories. What is the price for that? In the early stages of the game you need to establish a basic energy production to supply the commander and the first fabbers. After that, energy is now in a better position than before.

I agree that the energy storage should get a buff.

This is my modified 3 fabber build in the PTE (first try, no optimization!):
    http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=289871
    And this is my current build order in stable (which might not be perfect but at least got me into Uber/High Platinum (and I get to the 7:30 40k-50k metal spent in most of my games - not the one against Eshez -, which elodea used to evaluate a build order here on the forum)):
    http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=289881

When you click Build efficiency by metal and by energy you will see that both builds have a period of energy stalling (but I think it is acceptable). But for metal my build in stable has no stalling, in fact I am wasting a little (at the end because I am not fast enough at building another fabber), efficiency is always 1 for metal. In the PTE I have real problems with metal income with my 2 fabber metal expansion and commander building factories.

Also look at metal income gross. Even though I have a plateau in my stable build (which is a fabber idle or building laser tower/AA), I am sitting on 134 at this point (3:55). In the PTE I reach 138 at 6:00. My energy income doesn't have such a big difference...

It also shows something else: In stable I have 9 vehicle factories at the end, in PTE I have 7.

In conclusion:
    The game is slower, energy is easier to manage (as cdrkf said) and metal is harder to get.
    Last edited: February 17, 2015
  15. trialq

trialq Post Master General

The build rate has not changed. The commanders build rate is 30 metal, the metal production has been nerfed to 20. That's 5 people including myself who have made this mistake that I know of, so far :p
    knub23 and cdrkf like this.
  16. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I really like the change to the deep space radar. It makes me want an anti-celestial defense... Like a tact missile that launches from orbit to hit targets as they approach your planet.
  17. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Thanks! I am an idiot... So the solution is letting the commander rest for a bit to get to this slow-down ;) Or more serious: Building another mex in between all these factories.
  18. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Build early energy, start building energy immediately after first factory, I simply use too much energy to build storage first.
  19. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

The commander is no longer super energy efficient compared to fabbers, its basically just 3 fabbers combined into 1 (bar 200 energy) so with these changes you can use your commander for things other than building factories - we should see more varied builds
  20. Planktum

I build one factory first then one energy storage and by the time my first factory starts getting it's fabbers out there's plenty of energy to start building things.
    cdrkf likes this.