PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I wouldn't call the orbital radar broken, I'd call the umbrella way to versatile!

A deep space radar and a separate orbital radar would be nice, but that might be adding unnecessary complexity. The current orbital radar show units in orbit around its planet and units currently in orbital transit. It should not give any more information than a regular radar, that's absolutely silly.
  2. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Yeah I'd be interested to know how the Deep Space Radar is going to work now. Can anyone explain? It's called the "Deep Space" radar so what of Deep Space does it now reveal?
    tunsel11 likes this.
  3. Planktum

Yeah that is still very important intel, but I think the notification system needs to come into play to make this useful because you are not always going to be looking at the system view to spot these dots moving between planets. I actually think it should still show the type of unit moving between planets too. If you disagree with showing unit icons please explain why.
    Last edited: February 24, 2015
  4. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

|^|^|^|^|Very much Yay-ness|^|^|^|^|

Wait, "system picker"? Does it generate a random system or just pick from a list of presets?
  5. CYBERgrim

CYBERgrim New Member

SXX's are going to become extremely OP if you cant see them coming? Thats my only concern with not see what type of unit is travelling between planets. As I have not played the PTE build perhaps someone who has can comment. Does the game still notify you when one is built?
  6. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

It does not show even the units from the unit cannons... hmmm...
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

They show up as dots. You'll see them.
    Two umbrellas will kill 3-4 SXX before they do serious damage.
  8. CYBERgrim

CYBERgrim New Member

so a friend and I sat down and did some testing.... We do note like it.
    IMHO :)
    So stuff that is good. I like the fact that when an enemy pops up his first orbital that does not give his position away. Like this and would like to keep it.
    But the the rest(the bad), and I am not sure if they are bugs, you dont see units from the unit cannon or nukes. No warnings of SXX's.
    We did a test I had my commander moving back and forth next to 8 umbrellas with 40- 50 fighters and 18 SXX's just kill him instantly. - it was over kill, 8-10 would have been enough.

So, I recommend that nukes and SXX's be seen in space as well as unit cannon units. The deep space radar could use an area boost as well, but at the very least a range (sight) ring so that I know how much of the planet they are covering as building multi able on a large planet is needed.
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

That's still 8-10 SXX. I would just recommend increasing the time after landing before they can do anything to, say, five seconds.
    mered4 likes this.
  10. Planktum

dionytadema likes this.
  11. trilioth

trilioth Member

I've been messing around with the PTE and I like all the changes. It's the best version of the game for me right now. I haven't noticed any bugs except for the occasional pathing glitch--like you told that fabber to do something and he still gets hung up, but it's been rare.
  12. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Right now it doesn´t even show units on it´s own planet as little dots... :(

(there has to be some solution for this!)
  13. sius

sius New Member

I'll add my suggestions - not sure useful they could be... but throw them out there.

Desert / Ice Planet Not Shown - I guess that's because they are more or less earth biomes with the temperature modified (?) so if you wanted one, it kind of luck based on the random generation.

maybe get them displayed graphically, so if generated earth planet with temperature < then X% = ice planet, > then Y% = desert planet. Shame to have these planet types and kind of hide them.

Aqua Planet - Similar to the above, if you have a earth planet with > Z% of water height then maybe have that as a naval heavy planet type. Just slap a new graphic down of a deep blue sphere and that'll make it easy to spot on generation.

Broken Metal planet - Ya gotta love the destroyed metal planets from the galactic war. Be nice to have husk metal planets in the skirmish as an option.

Re-generate System - Just echo what other say, yes, ideally a button to toggle that option to happen would be nice.

Set number of bodies in system - Drop down list near options at the bottom with number of planets to randomly generate with. Say its a 6 player game, I know that I want 3 planets to be made and setting the generation to set amount will speed clicking and hoping for that many with my lava and gas giant to show up.

High Metal Systems - A modifier, like with large planets to maybe up the metal in a system up 40% or something to make for more heavy action games?

Thanks for your hard work, hope this maybe of some use ^^

goofyz3 likes this.
  14. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

You really could just remove the assist command from them, then they won't stack unless someone mircos alot.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I assumed they all cluttered up even by selecting all and giving a series of move commands or even a single attack command.

It may be the wrong way to do it because it basically gives non-flak a flak type weapon. The best thing to do then, would just be make flak default t1 and missiles higher damage less sustainable t2 for sniping longrange or strong air targets.
  16. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

@tvinita @jables @masterdigital
    Bug with the placement of factory's. They'll still lock in with the oldspace which makes the commander not building the factory's because its too close. Would be lovely if this could be fixed. Thanks!

goofyz3 likes this.
  17. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

It really just feels like they added it to stop the air being stacked on one unit and not knowing how many might be there, seems uber just like to punish people like with jigs.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am agreeing though that it is a bad way to fix something, allowing but punishing where it could be accidental player misunderstanding, instead of preventing the game from allowing it.

Also, deepspace radar not being able to see nukes... idk... radar is too informing. IMHO, pods should possibly not be visible to celestial radar and just vision so just things with vision will catch them (and the bonus of invisibly transitioning planets), and the sxx snipe is a large investment along with nukes so not seeing those coming (besides a WAG radar blip) is pretty much acceptable risk.

Having to guess a little is what you are supposed to do, knowing everything all the time from a structure that costs a factory of metal and energy consumption, isn't exactly balanced. Old RTS were terrific about units like subs and distant units not being easily trackable. Land couldn't see subs, radar couldn't see an entire map, vision was limited by range, knowing what a unit was at a distance wasn't possible without an encounter and encounters weren't easy to get a unit through to it without dealing with frontline units.
  19. frobb

frobb New Member

If deepspace radar is limited to units on the way between planets, it may make sense to add a "orbital unit movement detected" notification, so the player is not required to watch the orbital view all the time (if he wants to see if someone leaves a planet).
  20. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I can agree with that.