PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

A problem with Kestrels its a hard problem of PA air vs AA balance and air units in general.
    I still think that PA need in t2 mobile flak units. 1 mobile flak from t2 bot(or veh) factory and flak guns for Stingray.
    So we could make Kestrels hard for kill for t1 AA units then. It will change air balance. No more kestrels as alternative to t1 bombers. Units should have a different role!

T2 bombers.Oh.. I don't like how it works. Yes, they can outrange AA units. Seems good but only in theory.In real game player should waste a much time with micro even for kill some Narwhals. They should get at least 200 weapon range.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Or we should change them to strat bombers, which makes more sense and is more exciting. :)
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  3. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

And what would a strat bomber be by your means?

The T1 bomber already is a hard hitter. Make that even more "strategical" and it becomes the weapon of choice for com sniping.

I don't see T2 strategic bomber working, at all. What could work however, is making the T2 bomber combined in arms, giving him both (weak) anti air flak canon and anti ground weapon, giving him the means to defend against halfbaked intercept attempts.
  4. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I envisioned a strat bomber as a bomber that moves slower than the T1 bomber (but not as slow as the T2 bomber now) and drops 1 bomb that is low (or no) AOE and does decent damage. Making it slower would give you a chance to respond with fighters and would give AA a chance to kill it before it can drop its bombs.

Just my random thoughts.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You mean like the Core T2 bomber from TA? :D
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Interesting idea, although it sounds difficult to balance. It'd either be cannon fodder, or unbelievably OP (or it would have to have a special weapon type that's deliberately weak against commanders, although I think that kind of balancing should be avoided if possible)....
  7. Schemya

Schemya New Member

I don't know if T2 bombers are that bad. I don't use them mostly because they are bugged : they won't stay at range and will suicide themselves when given an attack command. They're certainly not worth that amount of APM and it's not enjoyable anyway.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  8. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Yes. Its not a popular idea for players.But "special weapon damage vs commanders" already used in some TA mods.It's working well for balance. So people should not scare changes like this.If some units too dangerous and useful for comm snipe, just add "special damage". No problem.
  9. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

It may not be a problem, but personally I think this is really inelegant and horrible design.
  10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

It's a very hack-y method and makes the actual mechanic feel half-baked. In fact, armor values in general are meant to be the hack-y approach since doing it properly takes longer and achieves just about the same effect. There isn't really anything wrong with special damage stuff, but it makes it unclear as to how much actual damage happens.

One thing I don't like about the armor values is that they adjust DPS on a per unit basis, so the DPS indicator only applies to units which retain 100% damage.
  11. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

When combining the save feature with completely custom maps (even ones similar to @guest1's masterpieces) , and the cheat feature that (should) be on/off toggle when you 'save' a game with cheats enabled, I expect fan-made campaigns with custom-made bases that the AI takes over when you load the game. This kind of thing can only happen with save/load games, and I cannot wait to see this spring to life. Even I'd jump on that boat if I knew a damn thing about why the map editor hates me or how the cheat thing works.

IE :
    Make custom map & design
    Create AI base w/ cheats enabled
    Save map while disabling cheats
    Load map and play with X objective.

Now objectives and all of that.. meh, I'm guessing that may eventually be a thing. The only thing I wish were possible would be that one mission in C&C Red Alert where you had to clear the map for a convoy with only buildable infantry. When you finished the mission and went to the next one, your base was still there, it was the same map, but bigger, and you had more tech you could use. That would be glorious with extra planets in the later missions, and/or an AI infestation that you apparently never caught or something.. I always liked the extended map continuation missions, but was that just the limitations of RA back then? Or was it a feature that never caught on? Either way, I'm not expecting to see anything like this.. probably ever.
  12. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Vanguards should get a some buffs like it got Levelers.They are slow and most expensive t2 land unit. They are problem for groups of t1, but not too hard for kill when enemy has another t2 units.Maybe increase their HP from 5000 to 6000..

Yes, T2 veh could be a little stronger after Leveler's and Vanguard's buff.So i have idea "cost difference". 4300-4400 for t2 bot factory,4500-4600 for t2 veh,4500 for t2 air and 5000 for t2 naval(cuz its already powerful).
  13. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Make it so Sorian. I hate everything about the T2 Bomber to the point i wont use it.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

then don't i happily continue to snipe turrets and stuff from range with it
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The hornet was originally that. Then, they switched and t1 bombers became "strike" bombers and hornets became carpet. Then, t1 became carpet bombers again and hornets got LAGMs. Personally, the game could use variety, and a "strike" flavor bomber as well as a "carpet" bomber would be nice. As long as the carpet does more efficient damage per metal but is unable to focus it in one spot, or more damage per second in general compared to the strike bomber dropping one at a time.

Then again, if it is t2, slow, costly, and fragile, it can be significantly stronger than the carpet bomber just because risk reward.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Wasn't this a bug btw? Speaking of bugs, can sea mines weapon be set to be able to target "underwater" and "seafloor" layer, as well as have a 5 radius underwater layer radar? Because the commander and subs currently walk through them if they are placed in water, while commanders set them off if it were on land.
  17. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

So how long until there's a PA tower defence map?
    Remy561 and tunsel11 like this.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

for that we need:

a) a simple hooking system for server mods so they can modify the gameplay via a transient server mod without custom servers
    b) control over the AI ("unit X follow that path, just do it")

and preferably a non hacky way to get info "player X just killed unit Y"
    Remy561 and tunsel11 like this.
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

What do you think of the FAF strat bomber, with large AOE and damage? I personally am not a huge fan (so OP) but it's a good place to start.

Giving anything at T2 no AOE seems kind of pointless tbh. Dox and Booms are currently the most potent weapons in the game because nothing kills them fast enough.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

no
    Tripod27 likes this.