PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

It uses energy to power the Holkins but no energy is required to power these Plasma "walls".
  2. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Honestly I would love for walls to shut down when the other guy stalls power, but that's mostly because they have way too much health

I don't want them to do that though because the giant pile of people who think that "wall that takes energy equals supcom shields" would freak out for ages
  3. Planktum

I just find it ridiculous that something which obviously requires power doesn't have any affect on your Eco. You could put solar panels on the top maybe? But then at night time they would have to switch off or maybe have half HP, I.e run in low power reserves over night. Can someone please explain to me how the Solar Array generates energy while on the night time side of the planet?
    Last edited: February 18, 2015
  4. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Collision groups.
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I vote make the walls cost energy (just a bit) but also increase overall energy availability. Energy should be cheap and easy to build, but also cheap and easy to raid. Lets move away from the energy limited economy.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I do not like the idea of primary defensive structures costing energy unless they have some sort of inherent awesomeness that we do not understand. Walls are not that broken. To get some perspective, go ask a player of FaF or TA if walls should cost energy to run upon being constructed.

Or even a Starcraft player.

I do agree we need to move on from the energy limited economy.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

My wild *** guess on energy, was besides doubling t1 radar consumption, to lower cost of pgens to 280, lower health to 750. Me and stuart both hates factory arms taking 675 energy, he made pgens produce the 75 while I made factory arms use 75 less. I also think it great to make fabbers use factory arm metal at a proportionate energy so they use 900 energy for 15 metal. They build that turret and whatnot faster now and that encourages both expansion and not stalling energy.
    What. In a game where planets are thrusted by ignition engines, units are shot by a cannon from one planet to another, giant planets can be made into lasers to destroy other planets, there are teleporter portals, and you transfer orbits to another planet by first traveling tightly close around the sun before actually going to the other planet?

the ENERGY WALLS is the thing that bothers you about all that.

Tsk... you know, I had an acid trip once, art teacher gave me some spiked Koolaid, I was riding a white snake, it was eating elephants, it was pooping rainbow colored flowers, the flowers roots were crumbling the ground behind us into the dark void below. I only realized it was a hallucination, when I saw the rainbow colored flowers didn't follow the color order ROYGBIV... o_O
    stuart98 and Tripod27 like this.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Idle selection needs to cycle through the idles and centre the view on them without changing zoom or viewing angle.
  9. darkagentx

darkagentx Member

I've been using 'T' combined with the idle fabricator selection buttons to find my idle fabricators. It's the default for zoom to selected unit, if I remember right. Very useful. Of course I was more use to the "next idle worker" you'd find in other games, but I don't mind this.
  10. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

I cant see new games under replays "my games" , it only shows replays from build 77443 and below

Engineers and commander getting stuck on building.

Enabling sli hurts fps performance big time.
  11. Planktum

Yes
  12. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Regardless whatever has gone before, I think if done properly it could be a fine and interesting mechanic. Energy needs to be fixed first however. Walls should basically never be down or unaffordable unless you've totally F***d up your economy or if someone just dropped a fleet of infernos in the middle of your power strip. In that case it makes (gameplay) sense for your walls to flicker and go off until you get it under control. Basically the mechanic would be something you don't usually even think about except when **** hits the fan. It would clearly not work with the current energy balance.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's things like this that is keeping me from discussing such changes.

So many, so fast.

Im just going to wait for the end result.

EDIT: also

[​IMG]

Arrow slits, allowing you to shoot through your own walls and your enemy can't.
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

So the model needs to change to having firing slits instead of a shield effect.
  15. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The idea of being able to fire out of your own shield while enemies can't fire in is so well established in sci-fi that I don't think anything more needs to be done there.
    drboggles, Sleeser, igncom1 and 2 others like this.
  16. wondible

Mod idea: walls have lower health, but a very short range auto-repair tool. That way they only draw power while under fire and don't require so much micromanagement.
    Tripod27 and mayhemster like this.
  17. wondible

I wasn't able to get the rotate-crash after queuing several times as much stuff as I did before.

Import/Export dialogs are still bugged, I don't know if that is tied to Coherent or not.
  18. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Would walls still stall if they produced 1 energy and consumed 1 energy?
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*facepalm*

They are walls.

WALLS.

What's next, eh?
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Many buildings and units have lights and do not draw power outside of their intended function. Units, for example, have lights and take 0 power to run.

Realism is subordinate to gameplay. If you want entirely realistic mechanics, then this may not be the game for you.

Edit: @Corang : Yes. it could only work if they were in their own individual power system.
    drboggles likes this.