PTE Build 76412-pte now live (updated with new build 12/16/14)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, December 5, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

[​IMG]

I've tried finding that key on my keyboard but I really can't find it :D

Also: How does one actually tell the editor to make a clean brush free planet to start with?

EDIT 2:
    Also that brush selection... damn I can see this editor will become quite popular once it is a bit more polished. The preview is also really nice. That's just like I thought it should be.
    Little nitpick: When I have a brush selected as preview I can't control the height at which it will be added. I have to add it first and then change it's position. Kinda weird.
    Last edited: December 13, 2014
    killerkiwijuice and Remy561 like this.
  2. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

3. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Guys, guys, look at this screenshot.

It's a 4-way AI skirmish FFA in latest PTE.

[​IMG]

Upd: apparently, one of the white commanders was official yellow, yet they were still a team, and not attacking each other. I repeat, it's FFA.
    Last edited: December 14, 2014
    websterx01 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  4. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

Maybe the AI hates you?
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Clearly the AI is developing a higher intelligence, it starts to consider working together with its peers to get rid of us.
  6. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

BUG: In the system editor, I cannot remove spawns already placed before beginning my advanced edits.
  8. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Unfortunately this is the worst build I've seen in a long while; under Linux it was sluggish, UI bugs galore- would repeatedly tell units to build factories and they would ignore the orders, units weirdly floating along with the current view of the planet, ugh. Not a pleasant experience, this one.
  9. superouman

superouman Post Master General

76262 PTE bugs in the editor.

After placing the csg the way i want, i placed metal spots.

PA 2014-12-14 19-29-07-88.jpg

But some metal spots disappear. In previous times, a lot more spots disappeared than on my pics.

PA 2014-12-14 19-29-15-38.jpg

I wanted to try the map anyway. But nothing got saved. I set metal to 0 at the beginning so i don't know where this metal comes from.

PA 2014-12-14 19-30-28-52.jpg

I reloaded the planet in the editor.

PA 2014-12-14 19-33-42-99.jpg

I saved the system and the planet multiple times. But it actually didn't.

Did i do something wrong or is it a bug from pa?
    Last edited: December 14, 2014
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

This is to be expected based on the new way Uber are using the PTE, to take a snippet from @jables post in the OP:

It sounds like there are some Linux specific problems as no one else has mentioned anything like you've mentioned. If you could first ensure your not attempting to run any mods (as these builds are coming out quickly and no mods are likely to be updated to suit the various changes so could break anything) then give feedback on specific issues that are new so that Uber can correct them that'd be really helpful :)

The plan is to test out all this crazy stuff on the PTE, then arrive at a working reliable version for the next major stable update so things like this need ironing out!
    killerkiwijuice and Remy561 like this.
  11. wondible

wondible Post Master General

A couple times the compact player list got messed up. I was trying non-shared team games with myself and AI on planets with only two defined landing zones. Didn't occur every time.

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 09.17.41 .png

Probably not exclusive to PTE, but spectator view doesn't show updates for an AI with the same name as a player ;^) I think my over/under-metal was always zero as well.

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 12.36.31 .png

Also, I don't think it's possible to change the landing-zone size after switching to advanced mode.
  12. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I haven't done a lot of editing in the PTE yet, but I can tell you that in my experience saving a planet with both custom CSG and custom metal requires a very specific series of actions to prepare the system.

For instance, if you want to import a system from .pas:
    1. Open system in editor.
    2. Preview all.
      • Wait until loading bar vanishes. You should now see the CSG, but no metal
    3. Enter CSG edit mode on your planet.
      • Wait until loading bar vanishes. You should now see green metal points and CSG wireframes.
    4. Enter mex edit mode.
    5. Exit CSG edit mode.
      • Wait until loading bar vanishes. You should now see the loaded CSG and cyan metal points.
    6. Exit mex edit mode.
    7. Save system.
    For a system you've been making in the editor, just follow steps 3-6 for every planet before saving and you should be fine.

It's really kind of crazy that this kind of process is necessary, but it's the only reliable way to save everything.

Also, after editing your planet, don't change any of the parameters. The terrain, metal and spawns will all reset if, for instance, you change the name of the planet. :mad:
  13. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Is there a way to turn off top ranked players? :)
  14. jables

jables Uber Employee

If anyone has a reliable repro on this one, it would be appreciated.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

16. jvickers

jvickers Member

It may also involve the situation where a different fabber (presumably one's own but I'm not sure) has been given an area build command that covers that metal spot. There are also cases (I think near factory doors and other buildings) where it's not possible to build a metal extractor the normal way, but it is possible by doing an area mex build that covers that spot, as well as a normally valid spot.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  17. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

In response to you jvickers, I cannot say for certain the entirety of the problem, however I've tried both 'single placement' of metal extractors, and 'area command'.
    '
    In the situations where metal extractors couldn't be placed, both methods failed.
  18. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Still no reliable reproduction, but here is something from the console output:

Code:
    2014-12-15 20:24:37.021 server[63321:1973677] ERROR Script error: states/playing:433:45: TypeError: Cannot read property 'planet_index' of undefined
        at states/playing:433:46
        at Function.forEach (thirdparty/lodash:3297:15)
        at states/playing:432:11
        at Function.forEach (thirdparty/lodash:3297:15)
        at Object.exports.enter (states/playing:427:7)
        at Object.setState (main:58:33)
        at countdownToPlaying (states/landing:51:18)
        at thirdparty/lodash:5519:43

I was, of course, hacking on things. An only slightly modified metal planet came out much smaller than expected; I had some player-list errors as well, but I want to double check my color mods on that.

I've also been had it get hung up on the cinematic a few times and not progress the game view. Haven't caught anything on that yet.

Attached Files:

19. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

As for 1v1. I'm torn over whether to permit advanced stuff (T2) in a single planet.

But I would have to concede that more variety is important, so probably will have to scale down cost of advanced factory?

In balance though, maybe increase t2 units, or also scale down advanced units but keep advanced fabricator expensive, or maybe make it more expensive? Also increase cost of advanced buildings made by advanced fabricators?

I'm simply sharing my thoughts here, as much as I want a single 1v1 matchup to have more than basic units, and more variety, I still want there to be some limitation to justify large scale multi planet games. I want there to be things that are only viable once you complete own 2-3 planets. Otherwise every single planet game would have everything and in a multi planet game it'd be dull because there isn't anything to strive for.

/endbrainstorm
  20. jables

jables Uber Employee

Thanks for the followup on this. We believe we have it fixed for next build. Keep an eye out once you get a chance to play it :)