PSA: Mod Purge (X-Post Classic Mod Discussions)

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by stuart98, August 22, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

There are a massive number of broken mods out there, both for classic and for Titans.

Mods which are not updated either to support the updated vanilla, to support titans, or both or that lack clarification as to which they are supported will be purged two weeks from now, or September 4th. Please update your mods to support the updated game, and clarify in the mod description which version you support.

Thanks,

-Stuart98
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Eh... might be done by then ;^)

Perhaps we should agree on on category tags for mods that matter which version they are played under? "titans" is obvious, but I've variously heard original, opa, pa, or classic for the other.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

4. stuart98

Let's roll with Classic.
    tracert likes this.
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

There's a whole range of UI mods that don't particularly care if you run Classic of Titans. You are going to indiscriminately delete those too? I don't think that is such a good idea. If a mod is broken, just report it to the author and disable it. Sure, there are a lot of mods, but we can divide them amongst us for testing. I'd help test mods.

On the topic of distinguishing between classic and titans, we might even want to consider a new separate field for the modinfo.json to indicate which version of PA it runs on. The categories are kind of unwieldy as it is. There are almost a hundred different categories now? That will require an modification to PAMM of course. In any case, putting it in the description seems messy to me.
  6. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

*shrug* we already have a version number field in modinfo.json, most mods will work with both, most people will have Titans anyway.

My secondary colour selection icons mod will undoubtedly work with both, I guess it wouldn't be too much effort to update the version number. Boom Bot Wars and any other crap I still have on PAMM (minus obviously the stuff maintained by others like Proeleert doing Anchor Buttons because he's amazing and I'm a lazy bastard) should probably be removed.
  7. mysticalfists

mysticalfists Member

Hey Stuart,
    Was curious if you could remove a mod for me in advance? Uber says MysticalFists AI Skirmish Titans Cheats is a no go! Will also post in the PAMM thread.
  8. stuart98

Bump, y'all have six days to get your mods updated.

For now please put it in your mod description using the terms "Titans Only", "Classic Only", and "Universal". Having a category for them would also be great, as would putting it in your mod name. Hopefully eventually @Mereth and @mikeyh will have PAMM updated to have a tidier way of sorting them.
  9. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I've gone with PA:T vs PA:C in the title for now. What do you guys think of that naming scheme? I am on the fence. I like PA:T, not so much the other
    Quitch likes this.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I don't want to clutter the titles unless a mod has two versions, otherwise tags should be fine.

The entire tag setup on PAMM could do with a refresh and some standardisation tbh.
    dom314 likes this.
  11. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Indeed. Half my mods don't even use tags, there is just too much clutter and tags are hard to maintain if there aren't sensible conventions in place.
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It would probably already help to hide the "categories" that have only one mod.
    (Though clearly you need a separate category for ICON and ICONS, and of course MAP, PACK, MAPS, SYSTEM, PLANETS, PLANET and SYSTEMS. :))

Anyway, I'm still not sure if it's a good idea to just remove mods on the basis of that they *might* not work. My Favourite Colour mod works perfectly fine for instance, as does my UI Enhancements mod and Notes mods. There's really no update necessary there, since they are just UI mods. They don't care about Classic or Titans at all.

The only mod of mine that might care is the Lines as Strips mods, which I think has the potential to upset Galactic War with the different balance for mines for Titans and Classic.

(So, don't touch my mods, @stuart98 . They really all work fine. :))