Pre-Faction 3 Reveal Faction Name Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, December 5, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Isn't that the point? :D
  2. angryweaponx

angryweaponx New Member

Nano something?

Can't find a word that follows it.
  3. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

Much of the mathematics that the science fiction concept of self replicating robots is based on was put forth by a fellow named John Von Neumann. I want to work that into the name some how, like Bismuth Von Neumann! The concept often goes by the name of "grey goo", and ice-9 like collective of nanobots that turn all existing matter into extensions of themselves. The bots in this game aren't really "nano", but i like the imagery of a silver cloud of death, possible faction name, The Gathering Storm
  4. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

The Forces of the Seventh Sanctum

Cosmic Marauders

The Inevitable ______.
  5. dallonf

dallonf Active Member

They should be called the Reapers. The leader should be named Harbinger.

Wait a minute...
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

7. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I've seen a ton of names, and quite frankly, i think they suck.

I am not overly fond of drawing on more mythology and the old world. #1 does that. #2 draws on more current technology with the 1/0 symbol.

I think that a germanic name is good. German to me still sounds like what an army general should speak. It's quite frankly a language that's not beautiful, it's not nice or pretty or good on your ears, but pragmatic, utilistic, dark, sharp.

and quite frankly, i think there's only one name fit for this faction:

The Götterdammerung.
    (that or i watched too much Iron Sky).

Alaric as the name for the commander would be good.
    (means "ruler of all")

Adalbrand (means Noble Fire)

Ermendrud (Universal Strength)
    Ermenrich (Universal Rule)

Machifrida (Frida means "peace" making this an invented "machine peace"

My new favorite:

Berahtric (Bright Rule)
    or:
    Ermenric (Universal Rule)

Other possbilities:
    Wacar (Vigilant)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I really like the Scourge.

Or perhaps the Iron Plague.
  9. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Faction: OmniMech / OmniTech
    Leader: Kernel Nix
    Last edited: December 7, 2013
  10. doctorfiet

doctorfiet Member

Faction: Dodecanites
  11. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

after thinking a bit about it, i have to admit most names proposed suck.

well, to be more constructive and less troll-ish, i think they are way too cliché, or sometimes they doesn't even closely relate to the faction description.

what we have here is machines that tries to wipe out every life form, it's literally metal versus flesh, i think we should dig in that way.

the idea of using an element in their name is nice, for example bismuth for its corrosion resistance is nice, but the "vs flesh" part is kind of missing as life doesn't really care about that, or doesn't care about metal at all as long as it isn't toxic. Asbestos is toxic, that's a good thing, but asbestos is regarded as being mineral (stone-like) rather than metallic.

as far as toxic metals go, i'm pretty sure mercury is the worst most people know about.

and from the description we have on the faction, they are pouring some chemical everywhere, before making themselves home.

so what if these chemical where actually mercury ? they are literally paving their way with that just as we use asphalt, it's so great at poisoning the soil for decades that it can't not be their symbol. i think that's what we need.

this initially gave me an idea like "the path of mercury" or something, but it feels awkward, so i believe the "army of mercury" feels right. actually from this point the symbol would be quite straightforward : here is what i managed to put together in a few minutes (it's a bit pixilated, but well)
    [​IMG]
    not sure if we're supposed to propose faction logos, but well :rolleyes:
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. CrazyVulcan

CrazyVulcan Active Member

Faction Name >> Solvent
    Leader>>Chlor

A solvent in chemistry; a substance that dissolves all other materials by binding to them and breaking matter down at the molecular level. As described by the blurb I think this fits the tone of the faction as the developers see it while its simplicity has nice ring to it. Solvent is the main reason we wear safety glasses in a lab setting as they are particularly good at dissolving organic matter, ie the stuff we fleshy things are made of.

I even quickly doodled out a logo, let me show you first and then I will tell you something neat about it.

-Edit- So new users can not have links? Sorry you will need to look up my handle CrazyVulcan in Devient Art, SolventHost

No, this is not some glasses form Lady Ga Ga's it is a interspersion of a molecule ( Tetrachlorobipheny), also know as PCB. This is a excerpt form a white paper on organic chemistry

"There are three primary types of chlorinated hydrocarbons that are of special
    interest for their toxicity in humans. (First) PCBs were first recognized as
    environmental pollutants with ecological effects in the 1970s. These poly
    chlorinated biphenyl (PCB) compounds can have a many as 10 chlorine atoms
    attached to the two connected biphenyl rings that make up these compounds.
    There can be as many of 209 different PCB isomers depending on how many
    Cl atoms are attached and which carbon atoms they are attached two. The
    3,3’,4,4’-tetrachlorobiphenyl compound is a planar (flat) compound that is one
    of the most active of the PCB compounds."

This is a mechanical esq mock up of that isomer you have gears for the Chlorine atoms and the hex shapes are the bipheny rings. Simple yes but I believe that it will fit in with the other logos with some more love put into it. That is a open invite to take this idea and make it better. And it is important to note in the article how PCB are notably poisones to humans. Who most likely are the Progenitors that are being reffed to.

Finally the Leaders name Chlor is just simply short hand for Chlorine. >She< If the mechanisms have a concept of sexes. Is someone I picture as a reverse play on the mother nature concept that would have her feel that she is the ultimate giver, and taker of life. On one hand she is the nurturer of her new vision on the tree of life while also deals death to all that remains of the knotted old one.

-Edit- Could someone post my picture in the thread for me? Would be much obliged just give me the credit please.
  13. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

The Iron Concord, or some variant thereof (machine, steel etc.).

con·cord
    [konkawrd, kong]
    1. agreement between persons, groups, nations, etc.; concurrence in attitudes, feelings, etc.;unanimity; accord: There was complete concord among the delegates.
    2. agreement between things; mutual fitness; harmony.
  14. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Faction Name: 1100 (that's 12 in binary, a reference to the original reactivated commanders)

Faction Leader: 0000 (typically, computers start counting from 0)
  15. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

@CrazyVulcan : you mean this one ?
    [​IMG]
    i don't think it's a matter of being new or not, it's a matter of finding the option to do it :D

and i don't especially like it, it seems too complicated and i barely see the relation with solvents, chlorine or anything, yet i have some knowledge about chemistry. Well ok, i can grasp the diphenylether part, and i know phenol can melt your skin (and whatever's under it), but i bet most people won't catch that and see only some weird wrench-cogs :confused:

i still like mine better for now :p
  16. CrazyVulcan

CrazyVulcan Active Member

Thank you, I like the name Solvent but am trying to find a good graphical way to convey that. I was originally going to do something based on a solvents warning label but I cannot seem to find one. Then I came across the molecular structure for them and PCB just was the most interesting looking to me. As far as a way to translate that into PA I am open to suggestions.

"The following error occurred:
    You are not allowed to use more than 0 link(s) in your post as a new user."

That is the messag I get when my post has a link in it, weird eh?
    dangoofed and lapantouflemagic like this.
  17. arsene

arsene Active Member

18. arsene

arsene Active Member

When considering self-replicating, highly efficient, mechanisms of war, you can't go wrong with German names.
    Devak likes this.
  19. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

I hate it to but it's a bot and spam filter, try posting a little bit more, it should go away around post number 10. Kind of acts as a deterent against lurkers or backers who aren't active in the forum as well but what are you gonna do
  20. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Maybe bland is better than cryptic.

Utopian Directive
    Utopian Collective
    Utopian Destiny
    Utopia of Planets
    Utopia of Metal
    Utopia of Cores
    Cores of the Utopian
    Directive of the Utopian