Possible workaround for AMD proprietary and *possible* Optimus

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by SXX, October 17, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I made simple test on FOSS drivers and I see that game perfectly work on this way:
    • Game running on real video card with R600 driver.
    • Coherent running on LLVMPipe just by adding "export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1"
    As I see this might be key to fix problems of AMD proprietary drivers (Coherent GPU process crash here) and probably Nvdia optimus owners. Actually I don't see any reason why LLVMPipe wouldn't work with proprietary drivers, there need to be done just very few changes to make everything work.

I'll post here if I'm find out how to do that properly, but I'm just don't have enough time on it.
    So if you have some skills you can try it on your own, might be you can do that faster than me.
  2. tylerseacrest

tylerseacrest Member

With the latest build, 56516, if I run with the --software-ui flag PA seems to work except that re-sizing the window crashes coherent.

AMD 5870m with 13.11 beta6 catalyst drivers

Could others verify this?

Thanks,
    Tyler Seacrest
    Last edited: November 7, 2013
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, for me this flag don't change anything. I tried it with latest Beta driver on HD6950. Also after some testing checked even with this flag Coherent still open AMD video card.
  4. tylerseacrest

tylerseacrest Member

In that case Ill post as much as I can about my system and my PA logs in hope that it will help somebody figure this out.

Hardware: Asus G73-JH
    1.6 ghz intel core i7 720QM
    radeon 5870m w/ 1 GB of vram
    12 GB of ram

Software:
    Linux mint 15 KDE
    Linux Kernel 3.12.0-031200rc7-generic
    using Xorg-edgers PPA
    Radeon 13.11 beta6 catalyst driver

An unmodified PA starts successfully with the --software-ui flag and generates the attached log.

If there is anything else I can look up to assist please tell me.

Thanks,
    Tyler Seacrest

Attached Files:

5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thanks for the info.
    Probably i'm not tried it with latest 3.12 yet.

Also you use mostly same software as me, what can you say about current system stability with Catalyst? When I checked beta6 two days ago it's had tons of glitches and crash Xorg few times. :(
  6. tylerseacrest

tylerseacrest Member

So far beta6 has been doing great for me. Only had one problem where xorg-edgers broke a link while updating mesa. Although I haven't had time to really put it through the paces yet it seems remarkably stable and runs Blender like a dream. Major step up from beta2 which wouldn't work at all for me. Seems I got lucky with the install or something.

Tyler Seacrest