Possible Modding Competition

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by LavaSnake, December 8, 2013.

?

Please read first post and then answer accordingly.

1. I'd submit a mod

50.0%
  2. (Blank Answer)

50.0%
  1. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

With all these new modders I think it would be fun to have a little modding competition. But I need to know how many modders would participate and who would be willing to judge. If you think you would participate as a modder in an event like this then please select the mod option on the above poll so I can get a count. (Yes, that's the only reason for the poll.) I've written up an overview of what the competition would be like below (subject to change and suggestions) so you should read that before commenting or responding to the poll. For judges, I'd need three or five people who are good members of this community (I'd love to have @zaphodx ). It would be awesome to have some Uber employees as judges (@BradNicholson ) but I know you guys are busy.

Plans for the "Modwarz" competition:
    (Working name)​

When: I'm thinking of having a deadline of the end of 2013. (why not?)

Judging: The judges would then take a few days to discuss the mods on a PM thread and then give me the winners to post on the public thread.

Prize: Bragging rights as the best modder for PA. ;)

Categories: I'm thinking that this would be for UI mods only (since that's the only API currently available), with three categories:
    • All around best (1st place)
    • In-game (runner up)
    • Lobby/menu (runner up)
    Also, I'm planning on joining the competition so I will only serve as the coordinator. Anyway, please tell me what you think and if you'd be interested in such a competition!
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'd like to see how the in-game mod is judged, given we don't have access to anything useful in-game yet.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It might be best to get a modder who can understand the code to give awards based on technical merit. However if you just wanted me to judge on a category like most useful mod for the community I could do that.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Do we have to build a mod extra for this?
    I'd submit PA Stats in that case. I am pretty much putting all my modding time right now into it, so no more time for other mods from me.

The current API may be thin, but it's already enough to do basic helpful things, I don't see the problem.
  5. LavaSnake

No you wouldn't have to make a new mod, but it would be cool if you improved any mods that you're submitting.

I was thinking that the judges would look at the usefulness/coolness of the mod and not the tech behind it, but that is a good idea so I'd be happy to have a modder who won't be submitting as a judge too.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's pretty hard to compare disparate UI mods... it might be better to have a "goal" that people have to make a mod for (for example, a re-skin of the existing UI) - that makes it much easier to compare the entrants.
    cwarner7264 and gunshin like this.
  7. elitedanzel

elitedanzel Active Member

I don't think we have a need for a ui mod competition, especially within the current limitations of what is even possible.

On a semi-related note, It would be nice if there was a video from a prominent streamer (@zaphodx ?) showing people through their current mods, or the current popular mods, so new people have a good getting started place and to help raise awareness of uimods.
  8. LavaSnake

hm, good point. This was just a random idea so I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible or if it could be better done another way.
  9. drmac

drmac New Member

I would like to participate. Would it be okay if I did an effect like an explosion or something?
  10. LavaSnake

My current plan is to have this for UI mods only so I don't think so.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

We could potentially do this quite happily on the Realm channel if Zaphod doesn't want to for any reason. Showcasing each mod is quite time consuming for a single person but we could easily have several people each doing one or two.
  12. LavaSnake

or we could combine the ideas by doing a stream of the five best mods or something.
    Raevn likes this.
  13. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

That's a good idea! More people should be aware that there are fine UI-mods out there!
    LavaSnake likes this.