Population increasing ideas?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Lyrae, April 15, 2011.

1. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Lol, I mentioned something not too long ago about custom taunts. Sound familiar?

They listen. Sometimes, quietly. Sometimes, they are bugged enough to post. Sometimes, they actually have something to say about it and post freely on it.

In this case, I say it will be the second idea.

BTW, didn't they have an entire weekend to get new players? Updates catered to new players learning something quickly, new players getting a free weekend to play it too, and an attempt at ranking so pubstomping would reduce at least a little.

This is your own example of them listening without replying. They listened to the old thread with this topic, they didn't reply to it, but they followed the advice in it.
  2. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

Google "Tribes Revengeance" for great justice. :D

Not in the least. I'd love a new way to customize characters. "Prestige" in this game is worthless. It literally equates to "minimum time spent playing this game", which already exists in steam. Protags are occasionally worthwhile ("Gazillionare" and "Uber Streak", anyone?), but they're the only way to dump extra cash into bragging rights/customization once you've bought the all-but-necessary custom class slots.

Join the club. I have an f5 compl-THATONETURNEDORANGEAGAIN :O
  3. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Lol, I tought that this game was dead.
  4. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

Assuming you mean Tribes: Vengeance? No, it's not.

Ironically enough, it was left to die a painful death after Vivendi decided to cancel a major bugfix/anticheat patch. Some time later, the community picked the game up, dusted it off, patched it, and released a Multiplayer-Only version of it. Even better, the company the master server (the server that holds the list of running servers) is owned by has decided that they'll keep the MS up at no charge, along with CD-Key checking turned off. No lawsuits have been filed, and there's a SP-addon that can be patched in to give you the full game.

The community took a dead game and revived it - only to the current size of MNC or so, but I mean a literally DEAD game.
  5. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

If uber will it release the modding tools I think (who wants obliviously) we can revive it :D
    Anyway, I saw Tribes Vengeance on a store near house but never got to buy it, I just had the opportunity to read about it on the internet, anyway I am downloading Tribes right now. :p

EDIT : Yes I ment Tribes.
  6. amandis

amandis New Member

he breaks your heart on purpose so that he spares your spirit/hope for this game ? [​IMG]

srry im in a troll mood, ignore me [​IMG]
  7. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

8. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

Potentially, a ladder would probably be popular enough to get at least a handful of teams involved.

EDIT: DUH - TEAM SUPPORT. The ability to form a 6-player team directly through MNC could be interesting, especially if team stats were implemented. L4D has team versus, similar concept + stats would be nice.
  9. DEPLOY

DEPLOY New Member

I started playing TF2 yesterday and I say I prefer it over MNC even with all the hats and stupid stuff purely because there is no competition between players or opponents, it's all about the objective. This game punishes the objective players and rewards those who whore kill streaks with bigger e-peens. It's also much more fluid and more variety. If this game had that (+ much slower load times) then maybe I'll play once more but for now there is no reason to.
  10. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

Eww, I looked at TF2, but I prefer MNC over that.
  11. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

lol?
  12. Gozuu

Gozuu New Member

I think he means that by pushing lanes & destroying turrets you aren't rewarded Star Rating wise as much as with getting a good kill death ratio.
  13. [Knovocaine]

[Knovocaine] New Member

You guys care about your star ratings? :shock:
  14. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

I don't but god do some people.

I have a star rating of 2.12 because I push lanes, kill turrets and prioritize good players.
  15. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

Ikr, playing Sin is not good for the star rating (if you are actually nub enough to care about that).
  16. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Guys, guys. Star rating is not a definitive measurement of how good you are. It's to prevent one team from getting utterly smashed and quitting the game because they died so much.
    Last edited: April 20, 2011
  17. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

I know that but new people might not take that away from the star system. I wish it were tweaked to reflect turret kills, bot kills, Player kills and MB damage(More than likely via cash per interval).

That or removed.
  18. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

what might happen with the star rating is either:
    new players jump in and lose a lot and are not willing to learn how to play the game and have their star ratings dropped and rage quit
    or
    new players jump into the game and see their star rating drop and decide to get it back up as a goal for the game

the latter is unlikely since most players would rather just jump into another game which would let them do well a lot easier

but i doubt the star rating is anything big in making players quit
  19. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

I think most people will understand how borked the star system is for the time being and either ignore it or try to raise theirs, not just get mad at it and quit.
  20. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

This game needs iwnet implementation.

notice the sarcasm?

How do you force a population increase? There's just honestly wayyy too many fun games to play. Population is split so much as it is. Some people are willing to try new games, and then there's the few that don't like change and are happy with the games that they are currently playing.