Poll. Will you admire the game without experimental units?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bodzio97, July 6, 2013.

?

Will you enjoy playing game without Supcom style experimentals?

1. I will enjoy the game

148 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. I will not enjoy the game

27 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. kskrisor123

kskrisor123 New Member

My main point is that with more tiers players wont get the possability to build the most advanced building too early on in the game. I dont know what everybody else thinks, but if i am playing with 39 other players, i want the game to last long, and that even when the game is about to end, there are still things which are not avaliable to me.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Re: Poll. Will you admire the game without experimental unit

Then make some things cost more resources?.. Again I ask, Why do you need T3? What would units in T3's role be?

If anything "T3" will exist as "Combination" units, like the multiple engines that turn an asteroid into a KEW, or the reactivated, Fully Armed and Operational Battle-Stations.
  3. kskrisor123

kskrisor123 New Member

Now adding a third tier is only a theoretical(may be spelled wrong) solution to making some more advanced buildings harder to get(since there wont be a tech tree) so that they wont be too easy to get. As you said it is possible to just make them cost more, but then some things would just cost so much they would just be standing there getting built. Another possibility is to make it staged?
  4. nanolathe

So like building engines on an asteroid or arming a Battle-Station?
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Technically TA actually did have a Tier 3. Basic Factory -> Basic Fabber -> Advanced Factory -> Advanced Fabber -> Advanced buildings. But those buildings are also arguably Tier 2.

The issue with T1 vs. T2 is that T3 will do one of two things. It will either A: Completely overshadow the previous two tiers or B: Be a $14.99 addon to T2, full price shipping and handling.

T1 = Generic
    T2 = Specialized
    T3 = Wat? Super Generic? That makes no sense.
  6. nanolathe

T3 = Weapons of Planetary Destruction?

Still arguably T2.
  7. kskrisor123

kskrisor123 New Member

As nano said asteroid engines are very advanced and can end the game instantly(as shown by UBER) so it shouldn't really be possible to get them in the first 20 minutes of the game. And if there is no tech tree then mayby making them even more advanced then t2 buildings would make sure that they were not aquired too early.
  8. nanolathe

You realise that one engine wont move anything more than a tiny asteroid, right?

To move the big ones... the ones that destroy planets, you need more than one engine, and that takes time, even with them staying firmly in T2.

You can get access to the tech as soon as you like. Access doesn't mean it's within your means to build it efficiently. If you lack the means to build it without crippling your economy then... you crash.
    You'll be overrun by the enemy who didn't try to build engines on asteroids in the first 5 mins.

Having access to the technology doesn't mean jack unless you've got the Econ to back it up.
  9. kskrisor123

kskrisor123 New Member

Okey i realize that t3 may be a bad description of what i am trying to get to. The same with the engines, but what i am trying to get to is that some things just need to take longer time. UBER showed in the reveal video is a building shooting a unit to the moon like a rocket, if that had(just as an idea) 3 stages it would take longer time to aquire.
  10. kskrisor123

kskrisor123 New Member

Btw this is getting off topic, ill check if it already is a thread for something like this and if not make a new one :D
  11. nanolathe

There has already been a "We need T3" thread. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=39786

In fact there's probably been more than one... please don't start a new one.
    :(
  12. kskrisor123

kskrisor123 New Member

Kk ill not make a new one(and i would have called it something like "do we need a more advanced tier") :mrgreen:
  13. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Did you not see how much junk had to be slapped onto those asteroids in the trailer, it's hardly something that youll be able to build in 20 mins
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Which is all the more reason to have them available earlier. Thanks to the flow economy it's easy to START these kinds of projects, but in the end, you still need the economy to support it long term.

Also kskrisor123, don't forget about situations like starting on different planets, you don't want to spend 30 minutes gettign to all the space tech stuff, you want access to that stuff quick, so you can get on with the player interaction!

Mike
  15. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

even without experimental mega units, i will like the game.
    i mean...we can smack asteroids with thousand times the power of a nuke into the enemy planet, if i have understand it correctly it is also possible to turn them into weapon platforms...
    Experimentals were always...weird units in my opinion, they were fun, but yeah, the game was too focused on them...they have removed the tactic out of the game.
    one GC could kill hundreds of units with a single swipe of his laser :s
    feels just wrong.
    if the game was not about 1V1 rush, it was about "who builds the first experimental"

the planetary "map" design here offers a lot of possible uses, even if they are not that big (for now). SuoCom? cover in a corner with lots of shields and artillery and stuff.
    PA? what corner?

that's why i think i will love it, more strategical uses. the enemy can come from everywhere, even from the moon.
  16. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I would like to see a tech 3 tier.. which I guess could also be experimental.. but I am more than happy to wait for it in an update or mod.
  17. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

^This
    To be simple.
  18. angelusofdarkness

angelusofdarkness New Member

I would love to see some kind of experimental units (call it the way you prefer) I don't think they can really break a game as you have stated cause it's cost normally are balanced and when you lose only one of them you're losing a lot of Resources.
  19. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

This thread was bumped.

Again.

*rifles through cabinet for cyanide pills*
  20. bongologist

bongologist Member

I'll still love the game even if it doesn't have them in it, I'd like to see powerful units past t-2 though, maybe not on a grand hitpoint scale like SC+FA, something that packs a punch and costs a lot to make, basically another way to try and win by taking risks.