Poll on control scheme

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by neutrino, August 13, 2010.

?

Which controller scheme do you use?

1. Standard

230 vote(s)
    69.5%
  2. Tactical

43 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Would use SouthPaw

8 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Would like another alternate

50 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Nitro288

Nitro288 New Member

I use standard, since the skills are conveniently colored exactly like the buttons on the controller, and I like it that way.
    Though, now that I know that Y is to switch weapons, and X is to reload, I might give Tactical a second try.

Strange, since I usually switch to other control schemes in action games.
    Bumper Jumper for Halo 3, Tactical for Call of Duty 4, and Alternate for Gears of War 2.
  2. Entropy

Entropy New Member

While I would really like to see fully customizable controls, and don't totally understand why its a Q/A nightmare, it is really really cool to hear this explanation from an actual xbox developer. I've never understood why games on Xbox don't offer this feature when just about all PC games do (I guess I still don't understand, but at least now I know that its because its a pain in the ***).

Also, I love the brutal honesty that there is no lefty control scheme because no one thought of it.
  3. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Because of the certification nature of consoles. We need to guarantee that every single configuration works. So, the typical controller has 21 buttons and two sticks, that's a lot of permutations of control schemes that we would have to make sure that they all work.
  4. Entropy

Entropy New Member

Cool, thanks. Its too bad the certification can't just be "Button mapping works" rather than 21 factorial permutations. Or maybe I just don't know anything at all about certification... (<- this is true).
  5. DR0KZ

DR0KZ New Member

Ok i always wondered why we had to suffer bad control schemes on 360, thanks alot for that!

EDIT: Not saying they are bad on this game btw, controls are great on MNC.
  6. Devilturnip

Devilturnip New Member

Okay. I hope you add it soon. I'm not sure your poll here will be of much use, because most of the lefties I know would've seen that there was no left-handed control and promptly forgotten about the game. I doubt many would come here to mention it.
  7. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes New Member

i like tactical better since i don't have to give up my right thumb to press the face buttons
  8. Dystopia

Dystopia New Member

I actually prefer standard to tactical. I used bumper jumper in Halo 3 because it put all of my offensive (most used) functions on the shoulders (R/L fire, grenades, melee, jump) and tactical (automatic or after-battle) functions on the face buttons (R/L reload, grenade swap, weapon swap, etc) which kept my thumbs on the sticks and my index and middle fingers on the kill controls during combat.

Since I play Assassin most often in MNC, I prefer having my weapon and grapple (most used) functions on the shoulders (fire/sword, reload/lunge, switch weapon, grapple) and my utility functions on the face buttons. Cloak is sustained and so doesn't need to be pressed while aiming too often, I don't need to aim while smokebombing, and sprint is also mapped to the left stick.

Long story short, I like my most-pressed buttons to have their own fingers. Standard gives me exactly what I like, which is more than I can say for the default controls in most other games.
  9. cazoofoo

cazoofoo New Member

I'm sorry but Freedom =/= America, the only true "free" country in the world is the south pole as it isn't ruled by any country :| , america still has the right to force conscription into the forces, you'r not allowed to do many things that aren't really bad or wrong such as keeping a pet skunk is illegal in most states. I won't live in the cruel skunk-hatin' tryranny that is America!

...off-topic much?
  10. Ghostdog 360

Ghostdog 360 New Member

ANY SCHEME THAT DOES NOT HAVE JUMP AND AIM USING THE SAME THUMB (RIGHT)!!!

Both of these configs atm are ok and legacy/southpaw need to be made available. But please please please make one that gives more freedom like other shooters out there.

The gunner and assault class need this the most. Gunner especially, because floating up (holding A) and aiming is not possible atm.

Peace.
    And god bless you in advanced if something is done about this subject.

MAYBE HAVE A SEPERATE SETUP FOR FLOATERS(JET PACK DUDES THAT NEED TO AIM AT SAME TIME).

Also maybe have a layout where jump is left stick button and have option to switch to left bumper (for those that constantly press left thumbtick accidently).
    Last edited: August 26, 2010
  11. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

I was a default player for quite a while, but then I got used to Tactical, and man. It's awesome. I love it.
  12. UberSoldat 247

UberSoldat 247 New Member

I think the Standard control scheme is great.
  13. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

Standard because I like Reload where it is, I cant even think off the top of my head what LB does on Standard.

Skill colours I find easier to understand in a panic and as Assault my thumb isn't really missed by not being on the thumbstick when using Bomb, Fly, or Dash. Other classes might suffer there however so Skills being bumpers I would understand in those situations. I tired Tactical out first and got annoyed, as the 'Tactical' option for controls is usually the one I prefer in other games.
  14. jaysofacton

jaysofacton Active Member

I came here just for that very reason. My son plays with the Regular control scheme & having tried it - I just can't play it without South-paw. I would love to buy this game
    but at the moment it would be a waste of time. Button layout doesn't bother me but I must have left-stick to look / right stick to walk.
    If you update the game - PLEASE add South-paw!!
  15. Ahlen

Ahlen New Member

First patch notes posted and no southpaw, sad.
  16. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We purposefully created a strong similarity between the button colors and the skill colors for exactly this reason. The default control scheme is meant to be easy to pick up and play with. Tactical is a lot more confusing but I personally like the way it plays better.
  17. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Note that this doesn't mean it's never coming. It's just not in the first update. We only have a limited amount of manpower so we have to prioritize pretty heavily.
  18. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

Now that I have a bit more play time with the game I might revisit it and see if I can get a long with it. Although I still think that, on paper, having Reload and Change Weapon as 'letters' will be a hindrance to my play style.

By the way, thanks for creating a game that's so easy to pick up and play. Being used to COD, BF:BC, and Halo as shooters on the console this was quite refreshing. One of the major selling points of the game is it's ease to get to grips with.
  19. BoltAktion

BoltAktion New Member

Tactic all the way man

Which btw, on the screen if im not mistaken it says that

Y will be reload and x will be change wep, actualy that is reversed in game
    And rightly so, you should fix the error on the control layout page

and as many have pointed out PLEASE put lunge mapped to the left bumper .....please?
    ........seriously

please?
  20. jaysofacton

jaysofacton Active Member

Seeing as only about 10% of us are left handed & only 4% voted for south-paw I guess
    I'm going to spend a lot more time looking at my feet when I want to move forward. :lol:

It's still a great game though & it's nice that you actually spend time to read these threads.