Please no further (expensive) expansions

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by iamassassin, August 20, 2015.

1. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

I really really want an expansion which has a scripted campaign! :D
  2. tanksy

tanksy Member

It's literally added units. What drastic engine changes have been made that prohibit it from being an update to the base game?
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

multilayered terrain i think but not sure
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

THIS POST LITERALLY CONFIRMS HALF-LIFE 3.

Multi-layered procedural terrain generation.

Presumably, the changes to the orbital layer.

I've seen people state that the Titan units were impossible to mod into the game. By "people" I mean "actual modders who understand the limits of modding PA". Ergo, Titan units must have required engine changes.

You seem to think that adding new units means no other changes were made. This can be the case - and often was, especially in older games when engine changes required programmer resources that couldn't be allocated. But this isn't always true.

Changes to Galactic War may have required engine updates as well. Not sure, not an area I'm familiar with.

tl;dr: quite a few engine changes.
    Geers likes this.
  5. tanksy

tanksy Member

Right, see this makes more sense why they'd release it on a separate build of the engine. These kind of updates would possibly require an update of the entire game files, something which users wouldn't like to see (For some reason) because they'd essentially need to re-download the game. I can almost understand them charging for it, if the engine changes are substantial to warrant it.

Is there a comprehensive change-list somewhere? I feel it should of been made clear on release what TITANS changes, and why it would need to be a separate game. It would certainly mean there'd be more understanding of Uber's move.
  6. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

"Yay more free ****"

Asking if there's going to be more cheap expandalones (or whatever Titans is called) is reasonable, but I doubt even Uber knows until more sales figures and decent feedback comes in.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The eXodus article goes into the most detail that I'm aware of, but Uber haven't gotten up a dedicated changelog as far as I'm aware. I think a comprehensive list would include far too many boring technical bits and pieces, but a player-friendly changelog would be a good ask.

Certainly, I was happy reading the eXodus article alone. But I also have an appreciation of the engine tech powering PA, and which features likely rely on said engine. Not everyone has a technical background, I understand that.
  8. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Nicb1 and MrTBSC like this.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So PAT is like £30 for PA + PAT, or if you own PA already, it's like £10?

Right?

(so long as uber refreshes the discount to PA buyers that is?)
  10. amphok

amphok Member

i would suggest to add races to this game if you want it to stay long, and make them different enough
  11. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Pssst. Don't spoil it.
    That's what PA: Revolutions in 2016 will be about.

Uhmm....
    cola_colin likes this.
  12. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Nit neccesary... In supcom fa I felt like those were gimmicky differences with little more than an aspect differenciation. Pa has lived well without them and this will also. Also it is far more interesting to develop strategies withl a large fixed unit rooster rather than trowing the equivalent of one another in a fight...

Also for your info, look into the mod section of pa. There is a pretty large mod being developed called Imperial Legion that will eventually add a new faction. It was predicted to be ready on september but will probably release further ahead.

That is all you will probably see of new factions:)
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Things like units that are orbital teleporters or hover units in general were impossible before.

Not to mention that the work that goes into designed 21 new units, even if they would not require any engine updates alone, is quite substantial.
    Nicb1 and Geers like this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It was a different dev team who'd be working on that game, all of which were laid off.

It was Uber trying to expand, it wouldn't have hurt PA's development at all.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  15. squishypon3

Yep, a hover layer being added was always said to be a lot of work, Stuart and I had been asking for one for one of our mods but the deva always said it wasn't worth all the effort at the time.
  16. squishypon3

Ooh another example @tanksy you forgot about all the new CSG and generation changes added to the game, the new CSG means maps can be so much more divers with the addition of platforms and walls and such for every map. I'd say at leeeeast 40 (I cant remember the exact number) new CSG items were added. All personally crafted.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  17. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Heard somewhere 150 new csg but I may be thinking of the wrong thing. Jables made a post about it somewhere.
    philoscience likes this.
  18. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Someone on the forums said that Uber does not listen to the community. Well, guess what. the whole PA:T shows how Uber had listen to us:
    * The hover layer was added, besides it was told that it is to much work.
    * We now have Titans, as experimentals that was always asked for.
    * Ships that can walk move on land, almost like SupCom.
    * A teleporter that can be operated from space, which was suggested I guess a thousand times.
    * An complete overhaul for orbital warfare, with the mechanic that was discussed here in the forums several times.
    * More pronounced multi level terrain
    * Some smaller things like a draw condition, better UI events, etc. .. and I guess a lot of other things that I forgot

All the time we discussed it back and forth, they knew it, and they didn't tell us!
  19. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Youre paying for product, not service. Its not Iphone that you get 1 year guarantee and you can actually expect something. Anything that Uber gives for free is something extra, not something you DESERVE. Get your head out of your ***.
    philoscience and Nicb1 like this.
  20. amphok

amphok Member

can we have at least tough units like the can and sumo in further expansions, i love those two hard to beat, units

i want something that play as intermediary until you have experimentals units