Please dont simplify the game (tech levels, building types)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pureriffs, October 23, 2012.

1. dalante

dalante Member

Re: Please dont simplify the game (tech levels, building typ

So was Red Alert 3, and Red Alert 3 was terrible.

A nickel is worth more than a penny, but that doesn't make it a lot of money.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

*Offtopic*Vanilla RA3? Feels like a attempt to make the 'next' starcraft, but there a number of mods that make it into its own fun game.*Offtopic*
  3. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

But no other RTS out there plays on the scale of Supcom, which is the point I'm trying to make.
  4. dalante

dalante Member

You'll notice that that's what Supcom2 wanted to do as well, and with similar results.
    You seem to have an affinity for such games.

My point is that SupCom 2 is just a bad game, especially when compared to TA and SupCom1 and FA. In my mind, any move whatsoever towards supcom 2 is a step in the wrong direction, and indeed we should keep it as an example of what not to do.
  5. igncom1

In terms of the economy and research, I agree.
  6. dalante

dalante Member

Then I'm really confused as to what your stance is. You seem to be trumpeting movement towards SC2 style simplification

7. igncom1

I am personally a fan of the supcom2 economy, but I am also fine with the TA one.

Streamlining is good, especially as we are upping the scale to a system wide conflict when before you wouldn't even fight over an entire planet, just a continent.

I think that even with peoples opinions of the game being rather bad we can still learn from it, being a bad game doesn't mean it was completely terrible unlike what the forum trolls would have you believe.

Simplification of certain elements may be necessary just to keep the player focused on the main goal, over having to micromanage every little thing, and leaving players who do all of the micro a large advantage.
  8. megas

megas New Member

there are some features from supcom 2 i loved and most others i hated.

*the economy: i hated this in supcom 2 it made the game feel more too generic (like every other rts out there) TA and supcom 1 economy gave a feshness feel to rts games, but most people didnt take the time to learn and gave up and just say its terrible.

*research: i loved this feature as it adds a way to make lower tier units a bit more useful and a pretty good way to lockout tech levels and more powerful units. In supcom1 / FA i could rush build up to tech 3 within 20 mins (my usual no-rush timer setting) so i totally bypass tech 1 units all together and only touching on tech 2 so using a research tree to lock out tech levels and more powerful units is a good idea

supcom 2 had alot better AI and pathing system the AI would even know to use units and buildings from mods as if they were in the actual base game, but supcom 2 lacked the scale and number of maps as supcom 1/ fa and inability to make custom maps. Supcom 2 also lacked the number of unit and building options as supcom 1 / fa limiting unit choices to 4 or 5 units (not including experimentals)

on another note i dont like the idea of only having one faction atleast in the sense of aesthetics so 2 factions (maybe more) with the exact same tech unit types buildings etc but with a different look to them would be a good idea
  9. thapear

thapear Member

This increases the work needed for the units by 95% and has already been downvoted by the majority of the forum in several threads. It's not going to happen for the initial release.
  10. igncom1

Are not the different commanders different factions?

As the units are all the max of what the universes technology will allow.
  11. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

My dogs **** smells a bit better than my **** but in the end we still are sniffing a pile of ****. The fact that we need to compare to a below subpar game to find any merit in supcom 2 is hilarious.

Anyways, I don't see where the current accepted streaming economy could be seen as difficult. If anything, its much more forgiving because the game doesn't deny you from adjusting your economy on the fly should you make a mistake.

I prefered the tech tree from TA. And I wasn't a huge fan of the upgrade system other than the commander upgrades. I do hope tech2 plants can built tech1 units though. So you have the option to use the better nanolathes on smaller units.
  12. igncom1

Yeah, both of these games are great, even CNC 4 is a great game. If what you determine a game is good by is comparison then you most likely don't have many games.
  13. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I'm going to be as polite as I can here. 20NR is not how the game is meant to be played. With not being unnecessarily rude in mind, I'll concede that it's a game type that some people want to play. But it is not how the game is meant to be played, it is not how the game should be played, and playing that mode will if anything make you worse at playing the game proper.

Against an equal opponent in SCFA, teching up is not a viable option until you have managed some sort of infrastructure-damaging raid to give yourself some breathing room. The more equal, the less viable it is. Against an equal opponent it is possible to be at T1 25 minutes in.
  14. igncom1

Hopefully with a system of basic and advanced tiers, teching wont be as necessarily important to a player who is prepared to take some losses, as both tiers will have the appropriate responses to any tactic, but they will be implemented in different ways.
  15. PKC

PKC New Member

Yes, idiots.
  16. sokolek

sokolek Member

SINCE THE GAME IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC, PLEASE DO SIMPLIFY IT!
  17. zordon

zordon Member

All caps and red text, your argument sure is compelling.
  18. thapear

thapear Member

That post consists of two statements that have nothing to do with one another.
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Well, yes.
  20. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

Is there an Ignore feature on this forum? Cant fix this one... CnC 4 a great game..... Good lord.