please dont call it ..

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by syox, February 14, 2013.

1. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

That's what instantly came to my head. What is wrong with me? (Answer: The internet is corrupt. It must be dominated and corrected. +1 to anyone who gets the reference.)

I also went the thesaurus route:
    http://thesaurus.com/browse/builder?s=t

I'm a fan of "architects," though it might sound too formal . . .
  2. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Most certainly. I imagine that if they were called fabbers, the community would shorten it eve further to just "fabs". :p
    Architects is good. Makes them sound like they really know what they're going. Shortened to "archies". I like!
  3. dosbag

dosbag Member

It depends, I assume they are spraying Nanites?

Nanite Dispersal Unit, Nanite Construction Unit. Or any variant of that.

NDU

I think giving it a short acronym would be better. Fabbers doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but I am indifferent to this so do what you want. I am satisfied either way.

Hell just have its ingame name be "The Fabb".
  4. zachb

zachb Member

I have just been calling them engineers this whole time.
    builderator worky things what make them robot houses.
    Nanite money shot!
  5. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Damn, now we have to go with Erector to get all the dirty jokes.

Personally, I like architect, short archy or arc.
  6. taihus

taihus Member

Considering the possibilities offered by the thesaurus, I consider us lucky not to have been graced with "nanoerectors".

I was under the impression that engineers in TA used Nanolathes, which were basically matter-shaping devices (basically, lathes) which used nanites to do the matter shaping. A nano-thrower might be a better term than lathethrower. In case you haven't checked the dictionary,

Lathe: n. a machine for use in working wood, metal, etc., that holds the material and rotates it about a horizontal axis against a tool that shapes it.

A lathethrower would then be some kind of catapult.

Lathes aside, how about Nanosculptors? Somewhat poetic, but no more so than composer.
  7. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

Either 'worker', 'builder' or 'constructor' seems most appropriate. I'm leaning towards the former two. Robots would go with the most straightforward name, and it would be like the distilled essence of all RTS worker/builder units through the years.
  8. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I'm not BulletMagnet. (Nor would I want to be, as I am easily punctured.) ;)

I do think that sticking with plain old constructors is best, since it's nice and simple and in the TA tradition. When someone says it, you know exactly what they're talking about. Engineers is a good second for the same reasons. It's simple and easy to use. Fabricators/fabbers just sounds too forced/silly, and I'm not sure how well it would work out in the end. Architects certainly sounds exotic enough, and might work out, though I feel it may be a little too out there. (Then again, Starcraft had SCVs and Probes, and those worked out just fine.)
  9. madsurgery

madsurgery New Member

Erecting Fappers
  10. Degraine

Degraine New Member

Look, if I can't launch constructors onto a nearby moon to make a space-based unit-cannon to rain down paratroopers on my enemy base, throw up my hands and bellow 'ENGINEER IS CREDIT TO TEAM!' as I run over the enemy...then what's the bloody point?
  11. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Ha, my bad. I wasn't quite sure who said what from the code. :p

Perhaps each different type of "engineer" should get a different name. For example, the land "engineer" is called architect, the sea called a rig, and air contructor called... I dunno, a surveyor.

I still like architect the most though.
  12. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Welder seems appropriate, it sounds quite low-tech and brutish which seems to be an element of the aesthetic. Or nano-welder if it needs to be a juxtaposition of old and new tech.

Or Assembler, that sounds good to me. Or perhaps Synthesizer. Or even Rigger.

But not Fabber. That's just daft.
  13. syox

syox Member

Well my nerdiness tickels by Assembler :) i like that
  14. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I like Composers or Architects.

Fabbers sounds weird. I doubt there exist a german translation for that abbreviation.

But a very short word is a good thing, too. Don't know. :x
    Last edited: February 15, 2013
  15. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

How about. . . Lathelayer?
    I always liked the traditional TA Con (unit type here) designation.
    Adv. Construction Vehicle: I can't get there.
  16. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I could get used to fabber. Its definitely not been used in an rts game before. Will building things be considered fabbing? so then i could fab a radar station or fab tanks.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Can't we just go and call it a fabricator?

Leave 'fabber' as a quick way of saying it, almost like a nickname.
  18. taihus

taihus Member

he's got a point... :lol:

That aside, fabricator hasn't been seen before in an RTS. Maybe call them Nanofabs?
  19. larsethearse

larsethearse Member

Call them Nerds, because all the other robots like to bully them
  20. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

As you can see from this thread nobody seems to agree. I like fabricator with fabber for short.