Playstation 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by AraxisHT, June 11, 2013.

1. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Three of the better US Warsow players I've encountered were girls, and considering the size of the wsw community, that's an impressive number. (Plus I hear there are several female EU players as well.) And this isn't a new trend either. Quakeworld had a good number of female players, lots of girls I grew up with played NES, and my uncle has mentioned that girls tended to frequent arcades when he was growing up. (In fact, taking a girl out on a date to the arcade was a pretty popular option once up on a time.)

I think it's just a shift in the attitude of male gamers and the gaming industry that has made female gamers more reluctant to publicly make themselves known. As graphics have gained capability, the industry has put out more games that objectify women in a sexual manner because sex sells. And male gamers . . . I'm not really sure why they've gotten so sexist. (I see the same issue in the programming community too, and considering the importance of women in the birth of the industry, I'm not sure why it's come to be like that.)
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Go to twitch.tv > channels > plenty of Females playing some pretty "hardcore" games. Games like World of Tanks, Starcraft, LoL, DotA, Day Z, Smite, EVE Online. Then if you just keep looking you'll see there is not difference. Gamers are gamers. We play video games. Simple as that. Bottom Line.

"If a tree falls and no one is around to see does it still makes a sound?"

inb4 those aren't hardcore games. :D
  3. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Well to be completely fair, I know two kinds of gurl gamers. Girls who like to play video games and girls who like people to think they like to play video games. And in my experience, most of the latter category stick to CoD (and in rare cases LoL).
  4. sylvesterink

Those aren't hardcore games. REAL hardcore games would be something like Panzer Elite, Close Combat, HoN, More HoN, Arma 2, Smite'stoonoobsothere'snohardcorereplacement, and Microsoft Excel.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Oh I see what you did there. :lol:
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I only know one kind, individual people who happen to play games xD
  7. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Like starcraft, lol and especially EVE online arent hardcore games.
  8. arseface

arseface Post Master General

The second hardcorest hardcore game out there.
  9. sylvesterink

The first being Nethack.
  10. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Nah FEMAP is much more hardcore :). I doubt there will be many ppl even knowing what it is.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Starcraft? Eve online? Both generic and well known and even themed to a tolerable degree for women. The more i continue this conversation the more people use the universal stereotype card when im not being a total **** like some forum members are. I am just saying, from the outside in, i respect starcraft and would mores respect those who played it years ago. However, look at starcraft, made by blizzard may i add, and look at pa. Both strategic worthy games, those who play them are definitely suited for hardened games no handholding to play required. Now, out of the two themes and popularity of companies, which do you expect to have a higher ratio of female players? Of rts games and rpgs, which do you expect to have a higher ratio?

I would like to hope the ratios of guys who play social media and rpgs to be the same as women, and id hope for both of them to be low for social media and tolerant for rpgs, leaving more to strive for games that require more concepts to learn and practice like to then hope that would mean much more men and women instead play objective or strategy games. That would be terrific.

I played rpgs plenty before, i even play unconventional games as rpgs. So the statistics work both ways. I really wish people who textbook tryhard play nothing but high skill games would pick up a relax nontryhard game. That too would be terrific. If i ever take a long break from strategy games, its because of chains of players who are way too serious.