Playing The Realm's Balance Mod

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by brianpurkiss, June 4, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This match was the most fun I've had playing PA in a long time. I'd love to get y'all's feedback on the balance mod!

Here's the video explaining the changes in the realm balance mod!

Testing out air!

Last edited: June 8, 2014
    Clopse and drz1 like this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Liquius and liquius? lol
    mered4 likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

Lol. Whoops.

Not the first time I've made a mistake on the opening image, and won't be the last.
  4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Haven't got time to watch right now, care to give a brief overview of the changes and what you thought of them, or rather, how you think they improve balance?
  5. brianpurkiss

I thought the changes were amazing.

The health of all units has been doubled. So engagements last longer, require more strategy, some additional micro (in a good way), and are all around more fun. Attacking, pulling back, and attacking again actually matters. A lot of the units have been repurposed and changed. Bots are now slower than tanks, but have massive damage. Advanced is cheaper, and more viable. It's not critical that you go advanced, but if you do, it doesn't suck every bit of economy you have. And Advanced units are balanced a lot better since they're not so crazy over priced.

We didn't play with air in this match because it hasn't been balanced. But I participated in some of the air balance discussion after the match and it sounds pretty great.

The thing I liked the most was doubling the health of units. It made engagements last longer and strategy mattered during the engagements.

No matter what direction Uber goes with units, specialized, basic, whatever. The health of all units should be increased so it all lasts longer. It's just much more fun and more strategy and skill is involved.

I'll be posting a video tomorrow when I wake up that is more of an overview of what the balance changes are and how they alter gameplay.
    drz1 and Clopse like this.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah I had fun playing this last night. The land fights are so much better and is much better balanced as a whole all round. Units lasting longer just felt right from my first game. Reminded me of TA. Especially the commander v ant is very similar to commander v flash. Except the dgun was better.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  7. brianpurkiss

That's what a lot of people said when I was playing. "Reminds me a lot of TA"
  8. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

It will certainly be interesting to see if any Uber devs keep an eye on these sorts of videos when thinking about future balance.
    Still, this is how I see the game having longevity, seeing as players will almost be able to pick and choose whatever balance style they want!
  9. brianpurkiss

Here's the video explaining the changes in the realm balance mod!

drz1 likes this.
  10. brianpurkiss

Testing out air power!

11. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Oh wowowow those bomb bots explosions made me jump out of my chair. They are so awesome :D

From the first video, it was weird to see ground scouts destroy buildings. Other than that, it looks great.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  12. brianpurkiss

I know, right? Those bomb bots are awesome! I love how they explode when they're killed.

Yeah. I still think the skitter is overpowered. When used correctly, particularly on 1v1s, they absolutely shred.
  13. brianpurkiss

14. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Morals of the story:

1. Don't let Max on your team because he'll do useless vanguard drops.
    2. Educate Max on the deficiencies of vanguards.
    3. Educate Max on the strengths of the Scorcher.
  15. brianpurkiss

Eh. Max just needs to get used to the new changes. The hotdrop could have worked if y'all used all of your T2 vehicles instead of just one. Can't really blame him for not knowing all of the changes.
  16. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

After watching some of these, I'm actually excited about playing PA.

Seeing those pelters just tickle those t1 towers was just silly, though. I get they're more like supcom2 FLA now, but that severe damage falloff might be a little much...
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  17. brianpurkiss

The mod is a work in progress and the values are being constantly tweaked. The thing about pelters not having damage falloff is it means they are extremely effective at destroying in coming armies. It's a fine line between making the falloff too much or too little.
  18. brianpurkiss

19. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

That's pretty interesting there Purkiss
  20. brianpurkiss

Welcome to the week of the real balance mod! new gameplay videos from the rcbm every day this week. So be sure to subscribe!

Here's the first one!

(still processing at the time of this posting, just wait 10ish minutes for higher resolution)
    Last edited: July 14, 2014