PlayerName: should be Changed/Banned

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cumsume, December 8, 2013.

1. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Oh. I see.

I still don't think a user should be banned due to their username. That should be on Uber's part to not allow such usernames in the first place. Also if the pattern will continue from the way Uber moderated SMNC, which is a free to play game, "trollish" behavior shouldn't get you banned.
    jimosfear likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Normally I would agree, but this user basically used the displayname to endorse child molesting.
  3. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Even if uber starts putting in censor or other systems that stop certain words from making user names or saying certain things in chat there will always be ways to get around it just by spacing it out abit more adding numbers to replace letters and everything like that...

Its much better to have a reporting system in place to remind the person that is a game where people come to relax and have fun there is no reason to behave in such an immature manor sure they can do it in a private password locked game with friends because well if the friends enjoy it they won't report it will they.. but to pop into any public game and be that immature and disruptive then they in no way should have no consequence to their actions...
    LavaSnake, elwyn and drz1 like this.
  4. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

Absolutely. I really hope this game community does not become as limp-wristed as this thread would seem to indicate. A few trolls here and there can add a bit of spice to the proceedings. The guy used a name with obscene connotations and it wasn't to your taste? Ignore it, elect not to play with him, but don't impose your morality on everyone else.
  5. Murcanic

Is it fair to force everyone to start putting up private games and only invite in their friends to just get away from a few immature trolls who just want attention and probably don't care about this game? I mean sure perhaps a outright ban isn't the way to go about it but something along the lines of a day kick/ban from the game that keeps getting longer and longer until a ban if they keep doing it is not unreasonable... I'd much rather have a slightly smaller friendly and more civil community then one where you have to kick (when we get the function to) certain players out constantly for they will just troll and be annoying or we hide away in private games where we only play with the people we know.
    LavaSnake, elwyn and drz1 like this.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Again, I'll re-iterate - the name itself is not my main concern, it was the user's behaviour.

That it was coupled with the name(s) mentioned is simply proof of intent.
    Murcanic likes this.
  7. DeadStretch

So what a player was greifing? Not a big deal really. Greifing happens in every online multiplayer game I have ever played.
  8. Murcanic

So you think its better to ignore it and wait for kicking in the lobby to be put in?
  9. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

When the finished game is released there will probably be a ban mod like there was in WC3 Battlenet which lets players autoban unfriendly/politically incorrect players, or maybe even the devs will include such a autoban in the lobby. This will let players themself enforce civility and let the devs and community managers handle more important tasks than trolls.
    elwyn likes this.
  10. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

Harden up, ignore it. After all you have to deal with knobheads when you go out in public, it's going to happen here as well. Please, please keep political correctness away from this game; it has tainted just about every other aspect of our lives already.
    Gunman006 likes this.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Sadly, the excuse "its beta" works here too. It feels wrong to ban before its even a game yet.

That being said, force him to change his name, give us a kick feature in lobbies, and MAKE SURE to prevent the kicked from returning... as well as giving us a mute feature too.

Kicking, mute, report, and a generous verbal warning to stop before punishment follows, would be most useful. At least for mass moderation. For this guys specific case, her should get a single warning right now followed by banning next time, and i actually start to wonder if it isn't someone from smnc lol.

I can ignore most trash talk and even joking racism, after all why should i get banned from typing ingame the direct quotes from Chris Rock? But some intensively vulgar or disgusting stuff makes me want a ban because if it were real life at least i could **** stomp on them.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

He was not grieving, he was -hopefully only- trolling about sexually abusing children. Endorsing criminal acts is inacceptable thus he was banned.
    popededi likes this.
  13. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Im in full agreement with you here, the main reason i bought her a copy, is the fact that this is one of the best communitys ive been apart of for a long time, love you guys;)
    popededi and Murcanic like this.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Well it's the first instance of 'proper' griefing that I've seen in PA so far, and how we deal with it now sets a precedent for how it's dealt with going forward. I'd quite like to maintain the relatively pleasant atmosphere that we've enjoyed thusfar.
    elwyn and Murcanic like this.
  15. DeadStretch

Oh sorry. I didn't get that part from reading this thread.
  16. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I'm a supporter of freedom of information and opinion, and 100% against censorship, and generally I would agree with you, but this particular case is different, as I strongly believe the topic of child molestation is one of the few things that cannot be tolerated or even joked with, by anyone. Ever.

Edit: the quote went missing. Whoops.
    drz1 likes this.
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I don't expect to put up with racists, sexists or child molesters in real life, just as much as I don't want to have to be exposed to them online. Also, it doesn't make it a particularly pleasant environment for any young children playing the game.
    elwyn likes this.
  18. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Just because people CAN write something in the public domain, doesn't mean they SHOULD. Paying £30 doesn't give you the right to espouse child abuse. F*** them.
    Murcanic likes this.
  19. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

That being said I hope there will not be a law against protecting people from being offended in this game, people get offended by everything these days, wishing someone happy christmas/hanukkah is illegal in Americaland now I hear :eek:
    popededi likes this.
  20. DeadStretch

I know one thing is for sure. Uber needs to show us all where the line exactly is. They were a bit lenient with SMNC and a player a part of a private testing group was using a game hack during real matches all because he assumed it wasn't a big deal and once the devs. found out the hack worked they'll implement it into the game. It was a FoV hack and the user was banned. Up until that point the line in which we cannot cross was a bit blurry. On the other hand one of the most verbal abusers in the game went unbanned even after the community made countless threads pleading him to be banned.
    LavaSnake, cwarner7264 and drz1 like this.