PlayerName: should be Changed/Banned

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cumsume, December 8, 2013.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

AHAHAHAHA. yeehhhhhNO
  2. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Eh, s/he's not explicitly using gay as a derogatory term so it doesn't really bother me.

It's a reference to a youtube video which isn't homophobic.
    Manwolf likes this.
  3. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

This. Luckily he really sucks at the game, so he wasn't a problem long. Really hope kickbutton is in next build.
  4. lapsedpacifist

He tried to build a swastika out of energy plants in the game I played against him :/

It was a FFA though and every other player made a non-aggression pact in the lobby until he was annihilated, so he wasn't around for long.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

This user has been dealt with. However, a couple things:
    - This is a good opportunity to point out that inappropriate names can result in accounts being permanently banned. The OP of this thread should think about that if they're determined to use that name.
    - If you notice someone with a very inappropriate name, the most useful things we can have are: the full display name of the user in question, and the time (including your time zone) when the game was played and on what day. This makes it faster to track down for us.

In the case of display names, it's an easy fix. For people who choose inappropriate user names, that's harder to fix, and we usually don't. We generally just turn those accounts off.
    drz1, warrenkc, ace63 and 5 others like this.
  6. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Actions Have Consequences.
  7. Manwolf

Manwolf Member

okay fair enough, I wasn't aware of that...!
  8. lapsedpacifist

Thank you for the clarification. I wonder if there will be an in game report tool added at some point? I don't know what kind of resources are required to back up such a service but from the point of view of a conscientious player it makes things a lot easier.

EDIT: also, thanks for dealing with this within a day, for such a small team with such a big job it's impressive that you still dedicate time to watching your forums and keeping the playerbase clean.
    Last edited: December 9, 2013
    cwarner7264 and drz1 like this.
  9. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

please just ban him....you will know who i´m meaning when you see the picture

Attached Files:

10. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

so he paid for the game to get banned

Players sometimes amaze me.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I wonder how many will claim to have been hacked or a friend found their account and changed there name on them xD ether way this is almost sad about the people that do this regardless... if they just came on here to do that then why would they not do it on normal forums or somewhere why making accounts are free compared to spending money here just to do that....
  12. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Oh the stories I could tell you when I worked Technical Support/Customer Support for one of the big consoles...

It was almost a daily requirement that someone would call in saying something like that...
  13. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

We should make and post a behavioral guideline that's easily found in both the forums and games so that it doesn't come as such a slap to the face when and if people do get banned for conduct issues. I think it's pretty obvious when somebody is intentionally trying to ban hammer themselves to death like in this case, but just in case somebody does get into a cafuffule and makes the very valid point that they payed good money for a product that should be theres to do with as they please, we should have it in writing that what they did was out of line.
  14. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

15. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

If people are planning to break the rules, I don't think a few paragraphs of rules is going to persuade them otherwise.

Honestly, this whole thread should've taken place as private messages with moderators. Creating a thread like this only draws attention to the person who was seeking it. He even linked to this thread to get more attention in the chat screenshot you linked. I'm actually surprised the thread name hasn't been changed even though it is censored.
    drz1 and zaphodx like this.
  16. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

The thread name was changed. It was playername: [playername=something] should be changed/banned. And that was changed to playername: should be changed/banned.
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I kind of agree, but in a way, it's a very public method of saying that the community won't put up with this sort of behaviour. Not that I recommend creating a thread for EVERY inappropriate username out there!!
    popededi likes this.
  18. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I agree, until there are other measures of reporting in place, it would be good to have a dedicated thread to report abuse so it can be dealt with efficiently.

The downside is these things are usually troll-magnets and would generate further abuse.
    drz1 likes this.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

He'll be able to play in offline mode, but if people refuse to abide by the TOS (and indeed minimum levels of human decency) I see no reason why we should be expected to tolerate their presence online.
    popededi likes this.
  20. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

+1

Why degrade the experience of the entire community for one.. Yay for his banning..
    one could say that Democracy is working is our "Mavor".... They were doing puns in the update thread.. blame brianpurkiss's lack of discipline
    popededi likes this.