Planetary Zoom

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by DeadMG, May 5, 2013.

1. veta

veta Active Member

Putting a camera on a constant patrol/pan around a planet would be pretty useful.
  2. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

When I'm thinking of strategic zoom, I'm thinking of something that can bring me towards a strategic view.

For example, when I think of a strategic view of earth, I'm thinking of that :

[​IMG]

Not this :

[​IMG]

If the "strategic" view doesn't allow me to see the entire battlefield in a glimpse and plan all my actions from there, it's not a strategic view, it's just a view.

But maybe it's just me.

Maybe the game will not need any strategic view, but I'm not sure that's what I've imagined when backing PA.

I'm actually afraid it might turn into a giant hide & seek game.
  3. Gyle

Gyle New Member

Couldn't agree more Pilot...
  4. veta

veta Active Member

maybe that's a result of playing traditional flat map RTS. i imagine this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you also have to consider when your scope is more than a single playfield (e.g. an entire star system) it will never be possible to convey all strategic information in one perspective. even if you could see all the strategic information on a planet it doesn't address multiple planets, moons, asteroid belts, etc. Not to mention PA could employ MOVING perspectives on their camera windows, e.g. a camera that constantly orbits a planet to give you a full strategic perspective or a camera that pans the system for enemy rockets.

I would wait until alpha before complaining.

To Gyle: I imagine watching games in split screen, assessing what's going on and describing it isn't easy. When split screen is necessary to cast a match you know it's good though. Maybe you won't need to focus on multiple perspectives in PA, but it's also possible there will be so much action you will - that might not be a bad thing.