Planetary Biome Concept Art: April 5th, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 5, 2013.

1. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Surely someone can mod the lava planets to be more like this? I know it isn't their responsibility but hey!

Calling @aevs, SHOW US MASTER BIOME MOD MAN
  2. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I love the desert biome from the image, and the sandstone arch. Would be pretty cool if it looked like that in game.

here's a question for everyone....

If uber said we could make the game look like that, but it would mean much steeper gpu requirements, would that matter to people?

Personally it wouldn't bother me, i love upgrading, but I remember all to well the outcry about crysis's system requirements so Id be interested to here what people think.
  3. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Neither TA not Supcom were made for PCs of their time - modern computers at the times struggled with the games. I wouldn't really care if they repeated that: rather build an awesome game for the current and next generation hardware than a mediocre game for the dual core, 4GB ram guys.
    cola_colin, plink, tatsujb and 2 others like this.
  4. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

exactly..... it really tells a story in a way, that they were rushed perhaps to get the game finished so they massively dumbed down the terrain in order to make this game happen quicker. Which livestream was that one again? I always forget I need to archive it :D
  5. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

That's exactly how I feel, much prefer to have an awsome game even if it means I have to wait for technology to catch up!
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

exactly..... it really tells a story in a way, that they ran into some serious technical issues so they revised their ideas to ensure that lava planets worked without having to change the impact of the terrain on the gameplay allowing them to concentrate on other issues rather than butting their heads against one they could solve.
  7. vackillers

Technical issues was never a problem, if you watched the livestreams that followed this, they just changed the way lava planets looked and acted to the mess we have now simply because those 2 devs in the video felt it was "better" there was nothing technically difficult about it. They just simply thought it looks and feels better.... Which I strongly disagree with and so do a lot of other people.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I love how people with a complaint are never content to speak for themselves :)
  9. vackillers

i know what you mean Quitch, I'm just trying to push my point across that's all...
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

At some point i think many people would accept to hear, that yes, the technical challenge (combining pathing over a 3D map and implementing complex biomes) was really higher than expected, and that trade off had to be made for the initial release.
    Recognizing that the game does not yet match with the original vision is not a sign of weakness. And people are more likely to be patient. If you say to people "this is our vision", while obviously it can't be, then you create a gap in between yourself and your customers.
    vackillers likes this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

guys that stuff might still be on a shelf somewhere waiting to be completed and thrown into a patch.
    vackillers likes this.
  12. vackillers

One can hope.... one can only hope! my friend :D
    tatsujb and kayonsmit101 like this.
  13. tatsujb

I like my optimist self better.
    Devak and squishypon3 like this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I was truly going to, but then I got sidetracked, over and over and over... Haven't even played PA in a month or so, makes me sad. D:

I'll totally be playing when Offline is up though, every day, all day. :>

Me too! <3
  15. vackillers

Well seriously if anyone can mod that... I could not express my un holy joy at the prospect of still seeing the lava, the terrain, and the biomes like how they should be... to any modder that even attempts this, thank you, seriously....
  16. squishypon3

I might get back to it, I have a fall break so there will be a lot of free time to work on all the delayed projects I have.

(Lava biome, that commander mod, Statera, etc...)
    vackillers likes this.
  17. tatsujb

UGH AGAIN WITH THE SUBQUOTING. AND THIS TIME IT WAS FOR REALLY NOTHING AT ALL.
  18. squishypon3

Haha, sorry, I forgot to edit you out because your quote is a teeny little box. It'd make sense subquoting everyone else, other than you, because I'm sure they'd be interested in what I was talking about as well. :p
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Does Squishy even have a pessimistic side? I didn't think that that was possible.
    tatsujb and squishypon3 like this.
  20. vackillers

lol stuart :D
    stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.