Planetary Biome Concept Art: April 5th, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 5, 2013.

1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Is there any reason why we wouldn't be able to have ice-asteroids?

[EDIT:] Yes. They'd probably melt when entering the atmosphere. You'd smash some flaming engines into the enemy, then promptly drown out the fires with a gigalitre of water.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Everything melts when entering the atmosphere. If a 5 inch thick layer of ablative heat shielding can survive, so can a 50 ton ball of ice.
  3. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

And a big enough drop of water can cause some serious damages.
    Maybe not to the ground, but certainly to everything standing on it...
    Check this !
  4. itishappy

itishappy New Member

I have a question for any devs out there.
    Is anything in these biomes going to be moving?

Wouldn't even have to be terrain, just textures. I saw the lava swirl in the lava planet and I can't shake the image of a large slow whirlpool of lava spinning around in a lake.
  5. parge

parge Member

I hope so, it would make the Biomes feel very much alive.
  6. ravener96

ravener96 Member

can we have halos? like in the background of the metal planet. pls. pls.
  7. monte93

monte93 Active Member

how about planets "abandoned" from past planetary Annihilations maybe with some recoverable tech or sidle full of rubble craters and rouge robots
    cmdandy, popededi and bradaz85 like this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Holy mother necro
    [​IMG]
    Pendaelose, aevs, ozonexo3 and 2 others like this.
  9. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, thank you for using the search function. I like you already.
  10. monte93

monte93 Active Member

thank you I'm new at forums but I'm a neat and tidy kind of guy jajajaja
    well i thought it would be a good idea since the premise is that this repicants have been at it for years. it also adds a bit more edge to the map as you need to consider more variables.
    and on that subject i think it would be beneficial that ice planets slowed units down whilst lava hurt them if they get too close to the pools (but maybe more metal to make it worth while). like that prime locations are scarce and fighting begins on more levels.
    Last edited: June 27, 2014
    DeadStretch likes this.
  11. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this... We always say "you should search", but then we also have a culture of avoiding thread necromancy. Which is the worse faux pas?

A ruined civilization biome is one that comes up fairly often. I think the only explanation for not having one would be that the war was so long ago that the tectonic plates have fully subducted more than once leaving and that the typology of the planets doesn't even resemble what it did when progenitors lived there... but that explanation only works on planets with active plates.
    Jaedrik likes this.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Actually, I think this is a useful necro. We've had a few threads about Biomes and this is The Biome thread. And I, for one, am curious about if they plan to change up the biomes so that they look more like the concept art.
  13. popededi

I think necromancy > completely new thread.

I do think we need more terrain variety to make things a bit more exciting, but environmental effects are confirmed to be not happening in vanilla PA.

I'd also love to see dead cities, big smash craters, and just generally more verticality.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  14. monte93

monte93 Active Member

excuse me but may i ask what is this "thread necromancy" you speak of?
    and i agree with you but if you consider that replicants "reproduce" exponentially it would only be natural (probabilistically speaking) that they land on a planet before the millions of years necessary for the process you describe to occur. but now we are over thinking the issue. I JUST LIKE MY GAMES WITH A LOT OF THINKING AND CALLENGE!! jajajaj
  15. popededi

It's resurrecting a very old thread. And it's still better than starting a new one. :)
  16. monte93

monte93 Active Member

sweet... even planet fragments in orbit would be nice
  17. monte93

monte93 Active Member

sorry bout that i just thought it would be awesome to see it in the final game and this might be the best way to make it happen :D (if ppl like the idea)
    popededi likes this.
  18. monte93

monte93 Active Member

sorry mis-read, that sucks! i love doing micro ant taking advantage of terrain! ajjajaaj still feel the same way about the planet fragments.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

we said to only use old treads if we have something worth to say to that topic ... so i don´t see an issue in that ...
    Last edited: June 27, 2014
    Pendaelose and monte93 like this.
  20. monte93

monte93 Active Member

what did the past discussion about the topic achieve? if i may ask..