Planetary Annihilation @steam 82.99 Euros

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by abidibladiduda, June 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hailmikhail

hailmikhail Member

Uhhh, guys I'm just asking. How much do you have to pay because it says on steam (which i have) that it is $89.99 (US dollars before anyone asks). This is similarly priced to the normal galactic edition. also the said $89.99 is equivalent to about 67 euros (give or take). so I'm a little confused as to why people are raging about it costing 82.99 Euros.
  2. kiviar

kiviar New Member

Because in general early access games on steam are sold at a 1/2-1/3 discount from their release price. The steam community views it as paying a discount for an unfinished product.

Disagree or agree with it as you like, that is how they think, and why this started.
  3. hailmikhail

hailmikhail Member

This is why i bought on the website. Honestly steam really annoys me sometime. Im not saying its terrible, but sometimes it's really annoying.
  4. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry man, you have clearly shown no one can do that better than you. I don't know if you are purposefully trolling or not but if you are you are Damn good at it! If I didn't have as much respect for the devs I would have taken your bait by page 2 of this thread. Since I do, I'll just hit your base 1st every time if I ever see you playing this game >:)
  5. Maruun

Maruun Member

I can understand the "rage" from the steam useres that saw the game only recently.

Especially when you saw all the other Early Access games taking the lower to higher route like Notch did with his Minecraft. But most of those games are being funded through the Early Access pricing model.

PA did go the Kickstarter Route. The more infulence you want to have, the higher the pricing. How much worth it is you decide for yourself.

As somebody already said its more like a Gamerculture conflict.
    Complaining about it is allright and understandable because for a Outsider it is a point for compaining but noone is forcing you to buy it, you can just wait for its price to go down.

Raging? Not so much, if Uber had set the pricing for Early-Alpha access lower then the initial pricing for Kickstarter then we had a bunch of raging Backers here. Those guys that kept trackd of this game, saw every Stream of this game until now.
    Its like bringing your investors to hate you...
  6. mrunderstanding

mrunderstanding New Member

7. kiviar

kiviar New Member

Honestly it isn't early access or the steam community's fault. They do things in a certain way and expect those things to be done that way. Uber has tried to do something a different way and it is proving to not be conductive for the platform. It's as simple as that. Either they didn't do the research on how things were done in early access or they just ignored any advice they got otherwise.

Is this the end of the world? Hardly. Does this give Uber and PA a lasting black-eye? Maybe. The public is fickle, and sometimes have a short memory, other times they don't. It is hard to say which one this will be.
  8. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

Lol I truly wasn't trolling, although I almost take your praise sincerely, haha. I really do mean that it's insulting to my intelligence -- I guess, more specifically, to the intelligence of gamers at large. Whether you think my points are or aren't well made, I'm simply not so gullible that I will spend $90 on any video game for any reason. That's just insane, and the fact that Uber even thinks I would be so gullible is, yes, insulting to my intelligence.
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Developer Response:
    viewtopic.php?p=742970#p742970
  10. hasha

hasha New Member

Why not just buy from the uber website? If you're on a tight budget, just choose the $40 option. It's bare bones and you don't get access to alpha and beta but you are saving money and you don't have to pay a price you don't wish to pay. The trade off is you just need to wait till December for a full release
  11. kalabalana

kalabalana New Member

I was hoping those of us SMNCers who dropped a lot of cash might get at least a hint of love from the devs regarding the new game.

...shut out. :(

I want to support the new endeavor, but $90 for an RTS game (I don't play the genre), is a bit of apprehensive stretch for me.
  12. felipec

felipec Active Member

Jesus...... again?
    Lets put this way: I have a product and you want this product. I'm the only one that have this product, you can't find it anywhere else... so, you have the money and I have the product... I can charge the price i want, you decide if you want to pay or not.. simple as that! If you wanna pay, cool.. if you don't wanna pay, that is also cool..
    The problem here is that we have people who want the product BUT they don't wanna pay... in this case, or they just stay quiet or they come here and start complaining saying things like: I'm very disapointed and blablabla..
  13. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

It's not that I can't afford it; it's that I don't think it's worth it, and that I believe the developers should know that (I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels this way). My main goal in writing the criticism I have is simply to alert the developers of this game, and perhaps game developers in general, that at least one consumer doesn't tolerate the implication that the release on Steam at investment-level pricing seems to make. I am not a die-hard fan of the series, but just someone who was mildly interested in this concept and someone who had been considering purchasing the game when it made it's way to Steam. Whereas before I at least didn't have any reasons not to buy the game, now the fact that the developers seem to not understand what customer perceptions are all about, and the fact that they perhaps don't even have respect for me as a casual consumer, kind of turns me off. I guess I'll re-evaluate after the game is released. Until then, I'm tuning out.
  14. DeadStretch

Then wait for the game's FULL RELEASE in December that will be only $40. Is that so hard to understand?
  15. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

I think we're just talking past each other at this point, as you don't seem to get the point.
  16. DeadStretch

What point? That people assume things?

Did you miss this post?
    Developer Response:
    viewtopic.php?p=742970#p742970
  17. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Well, I don't get your point neither.
  18. DeadStretch

Another Developer Response:
    viewtopic.php?p=743041#p743041
  19. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

The funniest thing I have seen so far is people requesting the 90 dollar tier from the Kickstarter to be the same tier in the Steam release.

What does that make the backers who backed the game before it even existed look like? Blinding giving money to a non-existent project and now people who can see what the game is like to get the same features for the same amount of money.

It sucks when you're dealing with illogical people.
  20. stormcloud23

stormcloud23 New Member

I backed this game with $115, and I do not regret a cent. I have followed this project every step of the way. I have been active in the alpha and I have had a ton of fun with it. That being said, I do think Uber have made a bit of a faux pas here by putting it on Steam early access, the purpose of which is very different from Kickstarter.

The world is full of reactionaries who are quick to anger and quicker to judge. They don't read the explanation, and even if they do, they won't consider it. They see the price, and then do whatever they can to trash the game because they feel like Uber is trying to cheat them (as the metacritic page sadly displays), when in fact they are keeping the same pricing model they had before. When the project started, people paid more to get early access to the game, support a cause they believe in, and get other bonuses. The way Steam is presented, people see the $90 price tag and assume that you are overcharging for an unfinished product, not considering that you are in fact charging for a premium feature, early access to the final product in it's current unfinished state.

When the Kickstarter was going, I donated a larger sum than necessary because I wanted to play this game the second it was available, and I wanted to help development in any way I could. Jon Mavor is my all time favorite programmer. I could not count the hours I have spent playing Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. I want nothing more that for this game to succeed, and for it to be as amazing as I know it can be. Unfortunately, Steam early access is currently hindering that goal by spreading bile and bad publicity. As suggestions and "bug fixing" are the point of an Alpha release, I see fit to make a suggestion.

Remove Planetary Annihilation from Steam, until such a time when you feel it is appropriate to put it up as a pre-order at the final retail price. Continue accepting early access sales on your website, making it BLATANTLY obvious that the pricing has to do with Kickstarter, that nobody is expected to pay that price, and in doing so they are showing that they believe in the product and wish to pay a little extra in order to play it sooner. And that this is early access to a finished product, including other rewards like the soundtrack and whatever else. Provide those who buy it from the site with a Steam key that allows them to run it through Steam.

Planetary Annihilation does not, and should not cost $90. The early access should be thought of as the $40 for the game, plus an addition $50 showing that you believe in this project, you want to see it reach its ultimate potential, that you want access to the game as soon as possible, and that you place a certain amount of value on the preceding.

In our society, value is exchanged for value. The alpha is reserved for those that see the value in being able to play the game immediately. It is not meant for people who would pay $20/$40 or what have you for it, play it once, and forget it in the annals of their Steam library. We who have paid for alpha access are doing our damnedest to help this game be as good as it can. If you aren't willing to pay the early access price, then wait as you would for any other game, and when it is released, enjoy the fruits of our labors, and the labors of the developers that did everything they possibly could to accomplish two simple goals: To make the game they envisioned, and to do so as well as they possibly can and to the best of their ability.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.