Planetary Annihilation @steam 82.99 Euros

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by abidibladiduda, June 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I must say, us fan-boys compared to other forums I know, were pretty nice and explanatory to you... actually trying to have a nice conversation... your comments on the other side make it clear that you are the one not wanting to have one. You are just upset that you cannot or want not to afford the game. Am done.
    If you want to address Uber directly, than I would send them an email and not use a forum infiltrated by fan-boys.

Support@uberent.com
    Help@uberent.com
    Dudewhereismyalpha@uberent.com
  2. kiviar

kiviar New Member

Steam early-access and steam betas are swiftly becoming the actual releases of games, no matter what disclaimers are put on the storefront. The people who think this may be wrong to think it, but they do.

You can denounce them until you are blue in the face, but you won't change their minds.
  3. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Perhaps I am. But... What is the problem? For you, I mean, not for Uber, nor from a marketing perspective. If 90 is too much for a buggy, unfinished, unoptimised, and all-around crappy game (relatively speaking), well, wait half a year and pay 40?

And, oh, I'm a fanboy? Mhm... Maybe... But, nah, that implies irrationality. :p
  4. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

This is precisely my point. Even Minecraft, which basically single-handedly started this whole trend, was essentially a fully functional game when its "alpha" version was released for sale.

And I'll say it again, it's a matter of perception. Specifically the perception of how a developer values me as a consumer.
  5. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

Well, thanks for the suggestion but that is already my plan -- as well as what I have already stated should be the case for all games.

Again, for the 100th time, *PERCEPTION*. Kickstarter and volunteer "testers" and all that is fine and well...until you release an unfinished game on Steam at a crazy price and actually insult me by implying that i MUST engage in those activities for your company's behest. I'm sorry, but that's just not how a customer relationship should be framed.
  6. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

The problem is that it's insulting to my intelligence.
  7. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Right but you sit in with a focus group at Kellogg's to taste early samples of Apple Jacks and give feedback that further improves the taste of the Apple Jacks?
  8. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Busted!

Sorry, you have to be more careful next time with trolling. Here you got a bit overboard which blew your cover. Not enough subtleness.

Trolling only works as long as people don't suspect you of it. But by saying that you HAVE to buy the game and MUST engage in certain activities and at the same time complaining that its insulting to your intelligence you've shown that you're just making stuff up to enrage other people.

Oh well, you had a pretty good run 'till now and I wish you good luck next time. But pretty please, do it on some other forum, yes? :lol:
  9. garibaldi5

garibaldi5 New Member

Yes knight is rigth , if someone is stupid enough to pay 90 € for an alpha then let him.
    We other player profit by this kind of behavior , because we can play the game when its done and without this alpha buyer we would propably not be able to play this game when its done because they would earn less money over kickstarter.Or at least some features would not be in it.

If they want to throw their money out of the window , why do you care?
    Last edited: June 13, 2013
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well, I don't know where you concluded that was their aim, but Uber was more than likely probably probing for what ideas they have for game development would make a good investment to develop. They did this through a kickstarter, which if not funded would simply mean no money is taken and they will have a number on how "popular" that idea was.

It just so happens this idea took off so rapidly. The alpha price isn't there as some new marketing model. The alpha price is there to set a frame for this game to be developed from alpha to beta to fully functioning release. You are looking for a fully functioning release of a cheap game. This game is only $40, and will be released in less than 6 months. Come back and look in 6 months, then you will find nothing to complain about.

Also, the game was kickstarted with 90 being the CHEAPEST alpha tester package. If they WERE to go any lower, the customer they would be ripping off is the customer that made this possible in the first place, the kickstarter backer. That being said, this is only the price for people who would have backed the game earlier, sort of a "late backer" program. You still get to back the game sort of like kickstarter if you want to. If you would not have then, and have no intent to now, then again, the fruits of the kickstarter campaign is a finished game is december. That is aimed torwards everyone, please come back with feedback then if something doesn't strike your tastes.
    Last edited: June 13, 2013
  11. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

I'm not trolling, and I have no idea how you drew that conclusion.

I will leave this forum alone...I said what I have to say, and hopefully it's communicated to the developers.

FYI, however, I'm not the only one immediately enraged by this. Just check out the comments on the PC Gamer article about it:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/13/plane ... -to-alpha/
  12. DeadStretch

Then guess what? Make the decision yourself to pay that kid once he is finished raking your lawn. Don't get mad that your neighbors are paying the kid prior to raking their lawns.
  13. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

Why? Because there's something wrong in your view with pointing out the difference to said imaginary neighbors between what's right and wrong? Or explaining to them that when they do that they set a precedent that affects others beyond themselves?
  14. DeadStretch

Well then I shall direct you the Uber's Youtube Channel. Why you ask? This is where they have archived their various live streams all during kickstarter and many stages of development thus far. See if you follow their development cycle currently you will learn this game is VERY MUCH NOT a "actual releases of games, no matter what disclaimers are put on the storefront."

So who's fault is it that a buyer didn't do their research before making a purchase?

http://www.youtube.com/user/UberEntChannel/
  15. DeadStretch

Imaginary neighbors? In this context these neighbors are the KS Backers and those willing to pay the price for the current terms of the "package." There is no right or wrong in this context. There is just a Now or Later. Neither decision is forced.
  16. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I have access to the alpha and I'll tell you guys this, I'm not a rich man at the time I backed I had a job earning £16k a year. I paid $95 for this kickstarter, because I wanted this game to be made so much. I'm now unemployed due to the recession at the moment. I'm playing the game as well as finding bugs and reporting them. Because I want to do my bit to help this game be as best as possible so everyone enjoys the game.
    Do I care about the extras? Not really besides the t-shirt but I'll take them but I don't think Uber is gonna make the commander models for various backers different. It might just be a skin change and thats it and you know what I'm cool with that as it wouldn't be fair.
    The alpha is so early yet the fact is it's functional is amazing, you can play a decent game on it. I've played so many games that were finished with so many bugs.
    If you don't want access to the alpha due to price thats a fair thing, you paid for the game when it's polished. Please lets not give the stereotype of nerd rage a place here.
    When the game is finished I look forward to being in a game with you.
    Lets not have rage when Uber is working really hard to deliver a great for us all it just makes us all look ungrateful.
  17. kiviar

kiviar New Member

The fact that these people failed to do research isn't really relevant. You can blame whatever you want for early-access being the way it is, but thats the way it is.
  18. tyrokiller

tyrokiller New Member

First of all I would like to make clear I still plan to buy this game on release (Although I personally dislike the price and from a steam users perspective hate the direction they took) Furthermore, I also understand why the game is priced this way and as a kickstarter user I understand your views on this subject as well.

However I must admit that the community here seems out of touch with a steam users perspective. Please if you plan to have a discussion at least try to understand their view before ignoring it and labelling them as stupid. (In fact that goes for both sides)

First of all as I said earlier steam users and kickstarter users have an inherent difference in how they view Alpha/beta/s. Kickerstarter users see Alphas as a privileged position and something which they believe should be paid for as it allows them to help make the game good. (This would also be considered a fan view too)

Steam users on the other hand see this game as a product of enjoyment, they have little to no fan attachment to the series and have little wish to help create the product. (Or at the very least far less interest than a fan) As such they would require an incentive to buy an unfinished product. (This is a ingrained belief, as early access games are cheaper than the final product (There maybe be one of two besides PA that are higher, so correct me if I'm wrong here) on steam)

The views of each community, kickstarter and steam are polar opposites. Ergo as someone said earlier steam isn't kickstarter. Now many of the community here are currently in the "Oh how silly steam users, don't worry your opinion doesn't matter it doesn't effect us". Oh and how damn wrong you would be, this is a dangerous opinion founded on little foresight.

As this game has reached a very admirable kickstarter goal it (At its goal) will most likely not die out and the game itself will easily reach completion and with the extra; a damn good completion too. However if you ever wish for this game (And as fans you better) to become a massive RTS hit, having a steam community that is pissed is one of the worst possible outcomes you could hope for.

Steam (As you pc gamers know) is THE biggest pc market available and any developer worth his salt would walk on their hands and knees to get an opportunity to have their game available on it. However if their entire community is this peeved off I'm sorry but having a massive hit game is now much less likely. And if there is anyone here who still doesn't care; remember the better received the game, the better and longer support by the developers you receive. (Generally)

Still as a final note, this should NEVER have been released on steam, the developers should have waited and just put the final complete version of the game on steam.

It depends on the person but if a lot of people start buying this games then steam and other developers would be more likely to have early access for more games charging a higher price for Alpha/Beta. He has an invested interest in seeing this doesn't happen as it affects his own wish of cheaper Alpha/Betas. (This would also work for the others as well)
  19. mpmumau

mpmumau New Member

This is a much nicer way of saying what I wanted to convey, and I do apologize for my rage. I hope the developers of this game, and developers/publishers in general, understand your points, as I feel they are very important.

I do think Kickstarter is a great thing, and I'm thankful for those who fund games through it. I simply just find it insulting when a developer/publisher seems to imply that we, as gamers, MUST fund their ventures.
  20. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Nicely written post tyrokiller.

Just one thing I'd disagree with. :)

I don't want PA to become a massive RTS hit (I'm not a dev and my livelyhood doesn't depend on it, so I just want an enjoyable game for myself. One is allowed to be so egoistical as a consumer. ;) )

The steam community is a cesspit in general so I wouldn't even want to have them in my random multiplayer games, but anyway, be it as it may: It is highly unlikely that this will influence the long term success of PA. While the old addage of "only no PR is bad PR" is probably not true, the chances of people remembering this issue once the game is available at release for 40$ is slim. As have other controversional games shown, issues during development don't have that much of an influence on the final outcome of game sales as much as one would believe. (My favourite example is Modern Warfare 2 with its infamous steam boycott user group.)

Also, PA is by design a niche product. Its something that can and I hope, will thrive in its niche of gamers that like this gameplay. And I don't expect those people to be thrown off by its pricetag. Hey, I pay more for my usual fix of grognard games then that.

And finally, one doesn't piss of a group as large as the steam user group. Its a very heterogen group (yes, calling it a cesspit above was obviously hypocritical of me ;) ) and even a thousand angry posters in its subforum doesn't make for a scandal. 95% of all steam users still won't have heard about PA tomorrow, even with how much noise angry steamers will make when they boil. (Yes I consider myself witty for this terrible pun. :p )

Though I agree with you totally on your last point, it shouldn't have been made available on steam until release. (But then I don't like steam so maybe... hm... it makes steam users angry so, its a good thing? I'm confused now...)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.