Planetary Annihilation Now Coming When It's Done

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, December 6, 2013.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

that doest need to have anything to do with that
    people seem to forget that the devs still could continue working on it post release basic balance and optimisation or not ... why is there this obsecion with full finished games this isnt 1994 sega or nintendo console era were catriges had to be used anymore ... best current example KI 3 ... if you want a fully done game then wait ... others want to get in sooner and can tolerate a few flaws or missing stuff here and there
    Last edited: December 10, 2013
  2. camycamera

camycamera Member

great decision guys. i couldn't imagine you guys releasing the game in this state at this month.

good luck in the future :D
  3. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

But it's being judged by the critics when it's released.
    And good reviews = more players buying the game = larger community
  4. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

Good news but not very suprising.

Moreover, as all backers and precommand has a key to play, it's only wording here.
    The game is kind of already released but in a true beta state.

(Don't get me wrong I really think keeping the beta state is important, I do not want see bad test in press for example)
  5. unconsumable

unconsumable New Member

Games sell the most upon their release, if its in a bad shape and people are quick to leave then the game will have a bad taint forever. Also this game is multiplayer only, and if there arent enough players (and matchmaking features) to give most of them fair games then it will only go down further.
    Surely you could get some fresh juice with a couple sales, but a botched launch would be still a pretty horrible thing.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This is especially true for an RTS.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

look i am not saying in any way that they should have released the game now or anything ...
    to me the delay was rather obvious as alpha and beta got delayed before aswell so i was not worried at all about that ... i also trust uber to know when to present the game to the public as they see it fit ...
    therefore i actualy don´t expect PA having a botched release ...

lets talk a bit about reviews ...

what i dont like about most current reviews are the ratingsystems and the summery style articles/videos that are often put in ... it is such a lazy way to look up if a game is worth for someone or not ...
    i especialy hate sites like metacritic considering the Initial bash this game got because of it´s pricetag months ago ... the gary´s incident scenariory also showed the other extreme quite well of how it can be abused ... by BOTH sides !!

many people do often not seem to actualy reading into what some games are about what they are and why things are they way they currently are with them ...
    yes currently the mindset is: if it isn´t good the Moment i look at it it wont be never good for ever ...
    and those summerystyle reviews and ratings are what even further supports that mindset imo ...
    and more often then not only some headlines are readen, stuff gets rather judged by grafical fidelity from a video or some pictures then the actual worth and further potential of the current content and gameplay ... quality seems to get overlooked in favor of quantity and/or eyewashing grafics
    this is at least how i currently look at the situation
    but what i would like to see from reviewers be it videos or articles is that they should more focus on detailed Information, tell and show me if a game is good or bad with your words and/or a proper presentation ... not with some arbitrary numbers ...

additionaly what i would like from costumers is to get as much Information as possible and not just take
    one or 2 reviews as golden but look at like 10+ Reviews from magazines maybe 20+ or so Reviews and/or diskussions from costumers and try not to focus just on the positives or negatives but both ...
    if you are realy intrested in a specific concept, genre or game then this is what you do

i also wish that people would tolerate the concept of "building upon a platform" more
    as double Helix f.e. does currently with killer intinkt 3
    because lets be honest devs kind of did that with many games before already
    as they released one game with content and added further through expansions or as it is now downloadable Content ... weither you go that route or realy release a full feature and content complete game it has all its own ammount of risks with different weight ...
    Last edited: December 9, 2013
  8. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Come on guys, we finally got the doom and gloom thread locked down, lets not rekindle it here. Personally, i dont listen to critics, i judge for myself. Delayed or not, this is and is going to be a great rts.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  9. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

Every stretch goal added time needed this is the right thing to do.
  10. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Great Decision.
    Said it some Months ago and finaly they agreed.
  11. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Only question I have is - does this mean we will have to continue to wait until 'early 2014' to get our hands on the server? Is there any plans to throw the modders a bone or two in the meantime?
    syox likes this.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Doesn't look like it.

Mike
  13. plink

plink Active Member

Definitely the best decision. Take your time. Do it right. Profit.
  14. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

Its too late for me now, my wife will not let me use geeky t-shirts in public :(
    drz1 likes this.
  15. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for this news! If they had released the game how it is now, it wouldn't have been as good as it (hopefully) will be. I haven't played it yet (haven't even bought it :[) but there are some features at least I would have done differently. Hopefully this game will be a good sequel for TA.

Peace! .. eh I mean Annihilation!
  16. myrosan001

myrosan001 New Member

Owner of cosmic limited YEAHHH!

A huge fan of total annihilation so im werry exited of the game

will something from core or arm be in the game?
    Maybe like ruins or something that would be cool
  17. SinProtocol

SinProtocol New Member

THANK YOU!​
    I'm tired of developers releasing to the public games that are bug ridden and generally not ready. So long as it's within the budget, the more time invested in a game up front is worth ten times as much spent post release, just in terms of being a responsible team. I'm most inclined to mention battlefield 4's release, and all the issues it's been having up to this date (absurd numbers of game crashes for xbox360, consistently terrible client-server lag and general netcode issues, graphical tearing, maps being incomplete, etc). A soft release date, in my opinion, is amazing. Even if a game is delayed for a month or two or more, if the devs say they think they need it, I'm happier with a game that works. Right behind you guys, glad to be supporting!!
  18. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

My wife let's me wear my 1UP mushroom shirt that says "get a life"...can't tell if that's a good thing, or her trying to tell me something...
    P.S. I can happily wait for a delayed release, with the constant stream of updates we already get!
    stormingkiwi, LavaSnake and Gunman006 like this.
  19. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

:(
    LavaSnake and Gunman006 like this.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

My partner has matching geeky shirts. I hereby declare victory!