Planetary Annihilation LiveStream: March 22nd, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, March 22, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Going on as I post this here: http://www.twitch.tv/uberchannel

YouTube Archive: http://youtu.be/5Qyl7h7D1Q8

First Segment: Jon and Kevin Francis talk planet generation, deferred rendering engine, lighting, and asteroids.

Second Segment: Jon and Elijah Emerson talk navigation, flow fields, and other cool game pathing topics. (Starts at 24 minutes, 20 seconds)
  2. gunsnbutter

gunsnbutter New Member

when will it be up on youtube?
  3. r1zoTo

r1zoTo Member

Keep up Uber Work !
  4. felipec

felipec Active Member

Best LiveScreen ever!
    The flowfield is definitely a huge step forward!
  5. zt107

zt107 New Member

Nice job on the live steam. I really liked the tech demo of pathfinding, I just think you need to clear up a little more what's going to be user controlled vs. dev side to avoid the "Can I add cost?" questions.

Edit: Does anyone have a link to the book that was mentioned?
    Last edited: March 22, 2013
  6. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

The flow-fields and planet generation were amazing. If this is just the basic stuff, I can't wait to see what the game looks like in its final form!
  7. gunsnbutter

gunsnbutter New Member

8. pudeldestodes

pudeldestodes Member

was a great stream and i definetley loved the tech stuff you showed!!! keep itlike that,was great.

for further livestreams it could be an idea to open a specific question thread where we could write down some questions and you may pick some of those and answer them at the end of the stream?could add a better overview instead of the chat
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

very interesting tech-stuff
  10. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Love the Tech! Don't let the philistines get you down!
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But reading some of the questions/assumptions in the chat was kinda frustrating.

Mike
  12. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

Love seeing the debug stuff, please don't confuse the enthusiastic questions about game play with not understand the tech stuff. I think most people got it, they just want more more more! I for one am enjoying the sense of being with the game as it's being developed - never seen this stuff before and it's great.
  13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

You can see why I get torn about going into that much detail.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

As much as I love the techstuff live in movement I think techstuff is probably better explained in blogposts for the most part. A written text can go explain stuff better than spoken words.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Definitely, but it'll happen regardless in the end, all you can do is state the intentions and explain as fully as you can.

Mike
  16. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

I must say it.

You guys are going to change the world of RTS :D

Terrain generation seems to offer Gigantic possibilities (the demo seems to be based on the "Lava seed", and there are 8 more choices !) and the things showed were awsome.

Add the FlowField tech in it, and waow (extremly interesting part, the dynamic cost will add a lot of movement flexibility, and i loved when Elijah (sorry if it's wrongly spelled) explained how he "cut" the world into pieces for his work)).

I'm not sure something similar as been done before.

Next Generation RTS ? Yes please.
    Last edited: March 22, 2013
  17. lynxnz

lynxnz Member

please dont be disheartened from making future technical updates. i loved it and i'm sure alot of other people did as well. I was too awestruck by awesomeness to make any comments.

great work guys. fantastic update. :geek:
  18. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

personally I love tech stuff, so I was loving the stream. This game really looks like its going to revolutionise the RTS genre.
  19. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

That would be the goal.
  20. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

(This is under the assumption their is matchmaking)

You said their can be hand made planet editors modded into the game, if these are modded in they wont affect normal connection to servers? Like you wont need to host a completely different server right? Because some games get unit mods to host their own severs for their mods so the vanilla matchmaking and balance isn't affected, but a planet editor wouldn't affect that right? Normal matchmaking and the vanilla game could still happen?