Planetary Annihilation Inc - The Future of PA and Titans

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by panews, August 17, 2018.

1. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Turrets must have extremely short range compared to an airbase. Airbases would be one of the longest-range strategic assets you can have, outranged only by heavy artillery and strategic nukes. A turret is a ring around itself protecting its immediate vicinity only.

And more importantly, aircraft would still be stopped using anti-air, especially fighters. Unlike turrets they suffer force depletion.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the existence of numerous vulnerable support assets like airbases and artillery mean that it is more important to stop enemy units from reaching your rear echelon than it is to fight in a blob with maximum force concentration. Even a small enemy force in the right, sensitive spot, should be able to do severe damage to powerful units that can't really defend themselves effectively. And, by the same token, even a small force of your own can do a ton of damage to a larger enemy force by relying on the help of those same supporting strategic assets such as artillery and airbases. One scout bumping into a large enemy army can call in a rain of artillery just as well as a huge force, so overdeploying forces can in some contexts be just as bad as underdeploying.

The "line of battle" where you are controlling territory with a clear front line, with securely controlled territory behind your front line forces, no-man's-land, and then enemy front line forces and the enemy's rear echelon, is generally not how PA works. Generally in PA your forces fight at the highest possible density so as to win a fight against an enemy force doing the same.

The "blobs" become a gameplay problem when they become very large. A huge blob should be split into several pieces with each small group positioned in different places, each relying heavily on shared indirect support (artillery, air power, strategic weapons, etc.) which are likely grouped together to make them easier for troops to defend. Still, on huge planets, you are likely to need several such installations simply due to their range limitations.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Why not make air more expensive and adjust its strength and/or the strength of aa in accordance, air control leads to map control, if air is more expensive it pushes back the rate at which this can be achieved also meaning for air dominance you must have a greater portion of map under your control allowing the enemy to push back your economy and push you out of the air game to greater effect, this is assuming AA is balanced in with the change.
    As for Blobs, that's tr2 rushing for ya, its powerful and expensive, numbers are thin early on, one front of attack normally achieves sufficient enough damage to win a game and displacing that force can achieve a lot less as you don't have the numbers.
    tatsujb and aidanofvt like this.
  3. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Another thing id like to Add.
    We need a quick and easy way to navigate the field and multiple planets.
    Camera anchors are designed to do just that, but they can become confusing and rather annoying when it comes to keeping their set location as you tend to jump to one anchor change location of the camera then jump to another anchor, upon jumping back your anchor is at the set position and you loose time re adjusting to your position.
    What we need is a function to say Anchor 1 was used last, When jumping to anchor 2, Set position of last used anchor to current position then jump to anchor 2 and vice versa for all anchors. This will make navigating the field super easy and managing multiple fronts quicker when using anchors.
    Control Groups tend to change orientation when not using pole lock and that can be really detrimental.
    Anchors keep orientation and position which is good for speed, only problem being having to update every anchor manually, which leads to anchors being the slower option...….
    This could really increase the level of play and ease of play in both single and especially multiplanet games.
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. lulamae

lulamae Well-Known Member

@wpmarshall Aren't there hot keys for cycling forward and backwards through the planets? Don't they take you to your most recent position at that planet? Or do you strictly use anchors?
  5. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I believe you can quick cycle in order with comma, but yeah I prefer to use anchors as it takes me to exactly where I placed it each time.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. billthebluebot

billthebluebot Active Member

Aren't factories basically artillery when you think about it?

just throwing ideas around that don't involve adding completely new features

but what if air was even faster but more expensive? maybe a bit stronger but the cost increase makes it really hard if not impossible to cover all angles. I remember that was how air was described back in the day.

edit: lol i guess this discussion was already had..
  7. aidanofvt

aidanofvt New Member

As someone with a longtime but casual interest in PA, this excites me. This game always deserved more attention than it garnered. Thanks for not letting it die.
    grandhomie, nateious and DeathByDenim like this.
  8. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I tried to find info on the new company but can't find anything. Do we know who is still working on PA or anything else about this company? The Uber site is reduced to minimal info. Is this new company replacing Uber, a sister company or a whole new entity?
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Whole new entity.
  10. lulamae

11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Wow this is exciting and great! I clearly thought wrong about the status of the PA project.
    cdrkf and NikolaMX like this.
  12. vtxn

vtxn New Member

It's nice to see this game getting revitalized. What are future plans for new factions? I like RTS games because of the variety of strategies and counter-play that are available to the player like the civs in AOE2. I am put off from getting this game because as far as I am aware, there is only 1 faction.

Adding factions with their own unique units, titans and playstyles would add a lot of replayability and value to this game. Mods like Legion which adds a new faction with a completely different playstyle is a step in the right direction.

It'd be cool if we could get to see a bio-organic zerg/tyranid/flood inspired faction whose strategy is to swarm and infest planets with super cheap units and then build up biomass to construct bio-titans.
  13. lulamae

You can play a second faction, Legion, with 100+ new units, via the community-built Legion mod.

NikolaMX likes this.
  14. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

I'm unable to upgrade to Titans; it won't let me add to cart. Can anyone help?

Screenshot 2018-11-10 00.33.03.png
  15. lulamae

emarkus likes this.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the annihilaser is the absolute gameender if not dealt with ..
    so i rather take the option of asteroids doing variable damage to either a local big splash with maybe making the impactarea impathable, a surfacecleaner and the planetbuster we have ...

it would be actualy more intresting to have the ammount of halleys affect the smashintensity ... like build 3, 6 or 7 ... or 10 and have the afforementioned effects accordingly ...
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Seems like I came back just at the right moment! Also...

BRING BACK THE ANT!
    davostheblack likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

ftfy
  19. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

You are battle bear correct? Ancient general or Prometheus? Welcome back commander
  20. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

That is me!
    cdrkf likes this.