PLANETARY ANNIHILATION COMMUNITY ACTIVATE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 20, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Even "astroids"?

;).
    squishypon3 likes this.
  2. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

Is the IGN wiki supposed to be a serious wiki?
    Because reading this it feels like reading a satire on both PA and wiki's in general.

IGN Wiki PA on planets
  3. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

tatsujb likes this.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

killerkiwijuice and tatsujb like this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Obvious. some form of seamless automatic update to an online UnitDB, preferably on that site
    haha shameless plug xD !
  6. cwarner7264

I am shameless, Tatsu, you know that ;) besides, he's already a member so it's not like I'm recruiting :p
    DeadStretch and tatsujb like this.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You should just beat out the official sites. I know you can :D I might even know how from my old SEO training heheheh
  8. cwarner7264

I went in to fix a typo and accidentally spent hours tweaking things. I should stay the hell away from wikis.
  9. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

if the wiki is editable by the public I feel like there will be a constant war over that name. Also, to share my stance, I still believe in calling the T1 tank the Ant
    mishtakashi likes this.
  10. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Sorry, but IGN fails to meet the 3rd and 4rd requirement.

And that is usability (crippled by the ridiculous amounts of unrelated garbage on the page), and the support for structured data (simply not present in the IGN Wiki since there is nothing similar to http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_MediaWiki installed).

Also note that it would be very much preferable if the "official" wiki would at least be reachable under an Uber hosted domain and not some 3rd party.

E.g. have a look at the official Guild Wars wikis to see how it can be done properly....
    tehtrekd likes this.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I did SEO for a year at one of my previous jobs and do it a lot for my current job.
    mered4 likes this.
  12. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Remy561 likes this.
  13. exterminans

You mean the temple in the jungle biome and the ruins in the desert biome? They never show up because they aren't included in the JSON files....

Besides, IGN wiki still remains a bad choice.
  14. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I personally prefer most wikis to be based off of the mediawiki standard. It is to me, the most accessible and readable. Wiki's with links that are huge images tend to be incredibly unreadable, especially on smaller devices.

IGN does not appear to be particularly messy to me. It's a solid site, though our game information is still obviously being fleshed out.
  15. cwarner7264

My one gripe with the IGN site is the copious use of Flash. So many browser freezes today.
    lokiCML and mered4 like this.
  16. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

HOW DO YOU MESS UP A TEXT EDITOR IGN? HOW DO YOU MAKE SOMETHING THIS AWFUL?
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. exterminans

Stock media wiki is fine for a pure knowledge database for mostly unstructured data. But it lacks support for structured data, which you have quite a lot from in PA. (e.g. all the unit stats!)

Thats the reason why most wikis related to more complex games choose at least the https://semantic-mediawiki.org/ extension for media wiki which allows to extend articles by structured data which can be queried for automated generation of comparison tables and alike.

Not a chance of getting this comfort in the IGN wiki.

Whether you are using textlinks or images is a purely cosmetic decision, and certainly not what I was referring to when I mentioned the GW wikis.
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Why not just have the wiki link to http://pa-db.com/ for stats?
  19. exterminans

Somewhat defeats the intention of having a central knowledge base, doesn't it? Also pa-db lacks support for unstructured data, like recommendations on usage or advantages / disadvantages and alike.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  20. wondible

wondible Post Master General

They actually are in the JSON. I've seen the ruins on occasion. I only saw the jungle temple once while terrain hacking, so it appears to have very unlikely conditions on it.
    aevs likes this.