PLANETARY ANNIHILATION COMMUNITY ACTIVATE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 20, 2014.

1. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Honestly it doesn't feel like that at all, I fail to see the logic. A site like ign will likely have a wiki and/or forum for all popular games anyway. Turning it into pseudo-news by giving it the "official" tag is just an obvious but harmless PR thing right?
    cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I feel like that gif has lost it's meaning, and that we have ruined it. </3

#thanksObama?
    Last edited: August 20, 2014
    mered4 and stuart98 like this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Anyone can contribute to the PA Matches wiki.

Very few people do, as is evident by the old official wiki.

I've been meaning to get around to adding the public editing functionality in, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm gonna make it a higher priority now.

So expect an update to the PA Matches wiki.
  4. squishypon3

Well what I meant to say is that you having your own privately created wiki doesn't mean Uber shouldn't make an official wiki. Many, many games do the same... Oh and guess what? The fan wikis are nearly always better.
  5. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

God Bless
    igncom1 likes this.
  6. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

turn your drama lasers elsewhere. like I said, the intent here is to spread the word about PA and this is a great way to do that. Do you want us to sell more copies and make new players feel at ease? I sure do.

This isn't stepping on anyone's toes, nor do I plan to ensure this is a one-stop shop for all wiki needs. Folks have created some wonderful wikis and we'll (me) support them with vigor moving forward.

Like was suggested, this is a general thing for new players and I want to support that. Your guys' wikis will be the resource-intensive places where good players go for significant insight.

What do you say? Let's build this thing.
    gerii, nlaush, Remy561 and 1 other person like this.
  7. brianpurkiss

Aah. Yeah. I do agree. Just because I have a wiki, doesn't mean that Uber shouldn't have one.

I still have more stuff I want to do with my wiki, but haven't gotten around to.

I still feel the UI could be improved. I want to add a unit comparison tool and integrate in the gallery so you can browse images of that unit/building for starters.
  8. squishypon3

Eep, sorry if I caused drama, was not my intent. o.o
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

UNLEASH IN THE "brian"!
  10. portable

portable Active Member

@BradNicholson, @brianpurkiss As an alpha member at $90 KS level, I have loved brian's casting of PA replays and his wiki has been pretty damn useful too. I understand that IGN will provide better exposure for PA, and I don't want to see PA Matches ripped off.

Please consider licensing the content from PA Matches for use on IGN. Let's make everyone happy, and enable a stellar community member to continue creating all of this awesome content for this awesome game.
    mered4 likes this.
  11. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

I'd just like to point out that IGN's wikis are really awful, and usually have the least content of all community or official ones.
    mered4 likes this.
  12. squishypon3

But why should he have to stop though? Uber has said they want their wiki to be simple and be the first stepping stone for players. PA matches is more than just a wiki site, it contains well... matches, mod information, etc... His site at least for the moment is much more versatile and has a separate reason to exits. His wiki will most likely also be further in depth than Uber's allowing more experienced player to take a look whilst newcomers take a look at the official wiki first for ease of understanding and such.
  13. brianpurkiss

While I appreciate the support, something like this isn't going to happen for a variety of reasons. Mainly, once the content is copied and pasted over once, it'll then be edited and any licensing would be moot.

I'm not hurt or offended at all. There's bound to be an official wiki for any game. I always knew I would have to compete with an official wiki. I for one think I have the official wiki beat, not just in content, but in quality. Mainly because the IGN wikis are slathered in ads and are all around... not pleasing to browse. I also have a variety of additional features I plan on adding that the IGN wiki won't be able to.

I'm fine with competition. It's not the first time I've had to square off against a competing site.

Competition drives innovation.

My biggest gripe with them is all the ads.
    ooshr32 likes this.
  14. BradNicholson

Oh! Not you! I was referring to the Brian comment you responded to so well.
  15. BradNicholson

I sincerely hope that no-one copy and pastes your content, for the record. That'd blow.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

Very much so.

I've put way too many stinkin hours into that dang website.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. portable

portable Active Member

You could structure the deal as a one time fee for use of the PA Matches content as starter filler for the IGN site.

But, it's ultimately none of my business. I'm sure you can advocate for yourself. Just one favor: please keep those casts coming. Ok two: give me a shout out if you cast a game I'm in.
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That's exciting news! I just hope that everyone can work to help improve thee game. Sometimes it does seem like some of the fan sites are competing with Uber for attention instead of working to really improve the community. It's fine that fan sites have a lot of information collected, but let's try not to assume that every fan site wants to compete with Uber.
  19. brianpurkiss

Give me something to cast and I can totally do that! :-D
    cptconundrum likes this.
  20. sodusentinelx

sodusentinelx Member

Developper Wiki:
    * General Game info and overview
    * Where can i buy/aquire the game
    * Simple how-to play instructions
    * Newbie Friendly
    * General FAQ and developper information

User and Community Wiki:
    * Vast information about:
    - Units
    - Buildings
    - Rescources and Eco set-ups
    * Latest meta-game
    * Vast library of:
    - Build orders
    - Unit counters and compositions
    * How-to's about:
    - Scouting
    - Unit and production effeciency
    - Setting up for long term or rush-based games
    - Preventing and countering the aforementioned situations
    * Info about:
    - Clans
    - Pro Players
    - VOD's and streams

see the difference here ;)

Example: TeamLiquid vs Official Blizzard sites :)

EDIT: added some better readability...
    Remy561 likes this.