Planetary Annihilation as a competitive game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by FunkOff, March 4, 2013.

1. instantshadow

instantshadow New Member

mike just a question, how much will a basic turret cost? 2x infantry? 4x infantry?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

And now you're on the list of people who think I'm a Dev.

PS: I'm not.

As to the question, the answer is obviously whatever works best for gameplay, as Neutrino says, Nothing is Final until it is, Alpha and Beta testing will bring amount uncountable changes, even just when considering the balance.

Mike
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's a pretty hard thing to achieve indeed and probably revolves around a lot of luck.

Even a perfect matchingmaking system will fail if not enough players are playing. That's what you are seeing in many many RTS.

Yeah and I want to pwn people on tournaments and get rich by doing so. On another note I also want to grow wings. Flying has to be way more convenient than walking. ;)
  4. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

There are many similar threads...
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Micro in supcom is not required, but it definitely gives you that edge when playing against a similarly skilled player.

As for e-sports/competitive, I believe if you build a good 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 ladder system (that resets every week/month or something) then people will definitely utilize it. I don't really like 1v1's, but I love 2v2's and 3v3's so would play the hell out of a system with proper matchmaking for these tiers.

If you build it they will come, as they say. The reason FA never really took off (in my opinion) was because there was just no good replay system, no good observer system, and no really good ladder system in place. FAF fixed some of these problems but they are a fault of the game itself rather than an external tool. Make it streamlined and easy to use, but include hooks for many advanced features that casters could use to make mods to include these advanced features (no idea what these would be, just a general concept).

I would also like to see a feature that will swap players around on the teams to create the most balanced game (based on a persistent score/games played metric). I think FAF does this but I'm not sure. This would be for custom games that do not utilize the ladder system.
  6. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

DUDE I was just thinking the same! I wanted to fly since a few years ago when I realized wingsuits exist

On a semi serious note, its never bad to dream big, who knows maybe PA becomes the next starcraft :p
  7. jg325

jg325 New Member

Replays of devs vs. players, good way to attract players and make awsome vids

also, those of us who don't care about competitive play are generally in this FOR THE LOLZ
  8. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I call dibs on playing against Neutrino. It will result with the greatest and most humiliating destruction in PA. And on Youtube.

I take that back, give me time to prepare

But yes, I want this to be an e-sports magnet so I can finally get some friends to talk to!
  9. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

It does but as nobody uses it, I'm not sure it's working :)
    They prefer to check the balance quality index and swap people manually.
  10. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

I think this i because people like to control their starting positions.
  11. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Not to doubt Neutrino's abilities in the RTS genre too much, but it IS fairly common that devs are busy actually developing the game, rather than playing it competitively. You might win :)
  12. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

This is some reverse psychology trickery to get my guard down so he can crush me easily. I shall prepare as if he is the competitive god of PA.
    You shall never fool me.