Planetary Annihilation Alpha Information

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, April 19, 2013.

1. Kraqen

Kraqen New Member

When I updated my order through Uber store form a 40$ pledge to a Galactic Tier, I got this:
    [​IMG]
    So... Being a early backer means that I will get the 2 kickstarter commanders? :?
  2. Moranic

Moranic Member

Thanks Nano. I couldn't find any confirmation, so I'm happy that you did.
  3. shandlar

shandlar Member

I wouldn't bet on getting offline til December tbh. As soon as the server software is given out the game is in essence released and uncontrollable. The last thing uber wants is alpha being pirated.

No I would bet good money that all of alpha and all of beta will be ubernet servers only. Let people try to crack the client all they want. Without the server software or a valid ubernet accout you can't play. Thats how uber should keep it until launch day.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

It's not anywhere near confirmed. It's just what my brain is telling me is the most likely outcome.

They will want to "Test" offline LAN play, and I assume that you test a feature like that during the Alpha.

Buuuut Uber is iterating... I'm not sure they hold the industry standard definitions in high regard tbh. :lol:

I fully expect to see new features being tested in the Beta instead of there being a "Feature Freeze" at the end of Alpha.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I feel that will more so be due to emergent gameplay/issues as opposed to "oops we couldn't finish it in time for Beta" type of thing.

It's like the unit whitebox pics in a way, it didn't cover every unit, it covered the core things needed(Alpha) and the rest will be implemented as the need for a specific unit is discovered(Beta).

Mike
  6. nanolathe

Ehhh, I'm talking bigger than "units" here Mike. 3 Months is nowhere near enough for all the stretch goals to be in.
  7. KNight

The units was an example, the concept is the same whether we're talking about units or mechanics.

Mike
  8. jomegalisk

jomegalisk New Member

Can i pay for alpha access on the steam early access, or is that only for people who are backer and those who preordered?
  9. KNight

If you're a KS Backer or Pre-Orderer all you need to do is upgrade to a tier with Alpha access through Uber. Steam Early Access is primarily aimed at people who haven't already invested in the project already and/or want to make that purchase through Steam as opposed to Uber for whatever reason(s).

Mike
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

It's always easier to buy something through a site you're familiar with than one you aren't. I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to back via Kickstarter or through our site. I always have to take a few moments to question if I trust someplace when hovering over the submit button after entering my credit card info or allowing a link to Google / Amazon / Paypal.
  11. zaxth

zaxth New Member

Just saw the now recorded "livestream" and I must say my anticipation levels jumped a fair bit.
    Good job guys.
  12. terrormortis

terrormortis Member

13. nanolathe

Pretty much, yea. For the first Alpha tersters (Backers at $1000+) there'll probably only be one planet.

How much gets done between then and when you get down to the $90+ backers is unknown at the moment.

The German article is probably jumping the gun a little, but it's not reporting outright fabrications... just a little bit of a misunderstanding when it comes to timeframes.
  14. psychobob3

psychobob3 New Member

There's an interesting comment to this article. How much costs the early access on steam? Sure, i paid on kickstarter to support Uber and PA but it wouldn't be nice when others can get alpha access for 30 bugs or something like that and i had to pay 90 or more...

Any thoughts?
  15. nanolathe

Only One psychobob3. You payed $90 and you've still got more "stuff" than a Steam Early Access customer.

Uber aren't undercutting anything or anyone unless they start offering Pre-Order bonuses for less money than the Kickstarter. So far they have avoided doing that. I don't see any reason for them to start doing so now.
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  16. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

Early Access will cost $90
  17. gerii

gerii Member

Are you sure? There isn't a lot time between now and the start of the early access phase and iirc neutrino has mentioned that all backers will get alpha access before Steam early access starts.
    So I thought/think that the time between the higher paying backers and and lower paying ones getting the game will just be used to fix critical bugs.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

nanolathe is making baselase assumptions here that are proven wrong by the fact that the steam page of PA cleary states:
    Implementing multiple planets is not something that can be done in the day or two that might be between alpha access for 1k$ backers and 90$ backers.
  19. psychobob3

psychobob3 New Member

I will not be angry when the early access cost much less than the other alpha backers had to pay. Because they (me included) payed for the support of the game and Uber.

But i think there will be a lot of whiners who will have a problem with it.

Source?
  20. nanolathe

I think there's a language barrier that stopped you understanding my post Cola_Colin.
    Let me rephrase it:

*ahem*
    For the first Alpha testers (Backers at $1000+) I am 99.999999999% sure that there will probably only be one planet.

How much gets done between then and when you get down to the $90+ backers is unknown at the moment.

Just because there's only one planet, doesn't mean they can't add a Moon and still stay true to what's stated on the Steam Page. Considering we SAW a moon in the latest livestream, I'm not ready to rule out the possibility that it could be present in the Steam Early Access Alpha build.

Ok?

Geez, am I required to get this pedantic every time?
    :?

---

You also have not posted sources for how much time there is inbetween $1000 backers and $90 backers. I suspect that this is because you're pulling that "One or two days" figure out of your arse.
    ;)