Planetary Annihilation Alpha Information

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, April 19, 2013.

1. logon

logon Member

Do earlybird payment options have priority over the regular one?
    Because if not the 100$ variant 3,8k people will get access before we who where early backers.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I wouldn't stress about the alpha order stuff too much. We haven't finalized it but it's not like it's going to stretch out over a huge amount of time.

The order will be a combination of backer level and the order sequence.
  3. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Will the alpha support Linux?
  4. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

While not a direct answer It's important to note there will not be one alpha, but rather several versions rolled out over time. Some might be specific to a single platform while others are cross platform. We can't say exactly how it'll play out yet.
  5. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

So, does that mean that the alpha coming out late May won't have Linux support? Or not sure yet?

Has there been progress made towards Linux already?
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

They've been working on all 3 versions simultaneously, but in terms of testing it all depends how things go once testing starts, if the Windows version has 5x the issues of the Linux Version, you can bet more effort will be spent on the windows version you know?

Mike
  7. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Ah ok, good to hear that they've been working on all three platforms. Hope to see the alpha sometime soon
  8. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

It looks very good already. You could just put a 'Pre-Alpha' banner in a corner to remind everybody that this is going to look even better on release.
  9. narbays

narbays New Member

Ya, being a $100 backer I can completely understand the developers needing a large pool of players to test the game early. But to just give out the alpha to all backer levels eventually, even let people buy into it now... That kind of devalues my (and everyone else who falls into my category) investment.

As soon as I saw uber entertainment + kickstarter, I threw money at it. If you want a _large_ pool of players to stress test it, that's what BETA is for bro.

I'm still to this day telling people to pre-order the game. No need to lower yourselves and try to get a few more last minute sales by letting people buy into alpha at this stage of the development process. Give them beta for all I care. Just don't devalue the full-faith investment some of us made into you.

EDIT: according to your kickstarter... 1543 + 1000 + 3908 + 116 + 977 + 380 + 118 + 91 + 6 + 5 = That's approximetely 8000 ALPHA testers that actually paid for it long before the game had any actual substance. I alpha tested world of warcraft and several games before and after it. ALPHA tests don't have more then 10,000 people, and in most cases it's 100-200 people.

I dunno. I still love you guys. But despite all the fantastic things I saw in the video the only thing ringing in my head is this depressing feeling of you guys lowering yourselfs for some last minute sales. Do you really need to devalue investment of the 8000 of your strongest supporters?
  10. KNight

How does more alpha testers devalue my investment? More Money = a better product. They may have gotten 2M via Kickstarter, but that's only a portion of the budget, and every pre-order helps the project, if giving Alpha access Helps sell Pre-orders which help the game, I'm all for it.

Uber thinks it can handle it, and I don't any of us here have any place telling them otherwise.

Mike
  11. Moranic

Moranic Member

Now, we can start playing the waiting game...
  12. dffmmm

dffmmm Member

Do people who backed through paypall instead of kickstarter (but during the kickstarter campaign) fall under the "backers"?
  13. felipec

felipec Active Member

Yes
  14. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Hope the Alpha has a Semi-Working (Or better) Skirmish mode, so we can test out features, start detecting bugs n stuff, and modders can start working on PA mods ;)
  15. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Confirmed, all early backing was treated the same.
  16. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

If I could upgrade to alpha in the next month or so that would be great. I don't see how that would devalue the people who have already paid for alpha. I couldn't afford above the $50 level during the kick starter and couldn't afford any more when I finalised. I would have spent more but money this last year or so has been tight.

That and the fact my computer just blew up (PSU blew taking my mobo and god knows what else out) I still can't afford or even play alpha. Let people upgrade when they want though. The more money the better right?
  17. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If you login to the store right now, you should be able to upgrade. The only upgrades that are currently disabled are above $90. And those folks all have Alpha access, so hopefully not too many people waiting on that (there are a few, and I'm aware of them).
  18. Devak

Devak Post Master General

So just to clarify:

-if you bought Alpha access, you certainly will get it (duh)
    -if you bought it as a Backer, you have priority
    -if you spent more money, you have higher priority.
    -if you preordered without alpha access, you MIGHT get it if it gets extended that far (?)
  19. MazK

MazK New Member

If I go to the store page I can actually upgrade to the cosmic limited edition upgrade, which is above 90 dollars?. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just saying.
  20. KNight

I think it's more so that Access to the Alpha won't always be available to those that don't already have it, we know the Cosmic Edition is only around for another 11 days. It basically comes down to the fact that if you want to get into the alpha, do it sooner rather than later as the ability to upgrade to Alpha access isn't guaranteed long term.

Mike