Planet smashing dictating strategy

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zaphodx, March 30, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

With asteroids not being able to clear a planet totally no matter the size.

It could become much more interesting to have only half a planet devastated, and thus make invasions revolve around the use of one or more asteroids to devastate most of a planet, without completely clearing it.
  2. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Another aproach could be just up the cost of the halley's instead of having more halleys to build :)

I also like impacts not taking out the entire planet.

And another big factor is system design.
    I like the ZaphodX system and feel its pretty balanced, 2 planets and only 1 smashable, if the other team(s) fight for the smashable moon the other could go for both big planets and not having the moon does not mean game over.

I would say a good rule for system design would then be have 1 less smashable as there are unsmashable planets.
    Ofcourse other players may like having lots of smashable planets so its also a taste issue :)

But many people just seem to think bigger is better and create these big systems with many smashables that result in crap gameplay :)
    carlorizzante likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

simply the case of missing options like orbital transports and stuff ....
    Last edited: April 1, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. mavolio

mavolio New Member

I would have thought that gas planets wont be so heavily affected by a halley. So until they are in I don't see any point in trying to balance it, or you might just end up having to change it back.
  5. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I think the smashing of two planets should be slowed down drastically. Make it take a minimum of 5 minutes from when the halleys are activated to when the planet hits. Once the halleys are activated, an alarm should go off on all players screen and a giant skull and crossbones marker should pop up on the planet that is targeted. A doomsday clock appears in the corner and you now have 5 minutes to kill the halleys before your planet is wiped out. Also insert dramatic music.

This would create an epic "sudden death" mode where players are given a chance to attempt to defeat the superweapon before it comes crashing down on them. It would also force players to fortify the smashable up some instead of rushing for 3 halleys and launching as fast as possible.

You could also give halleys an energy capacitor that must be filled with something like 1-10 million energy before it can fire. This means that, even if you rush the construction of the halley, there is still a minimum amount of time it takes to fuel up, and it ensures you have a strong energy economy too.
    stormingkiwi and vyolin like this.
  6. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

When I make systems with smashable planets, I set the engine requirement to 15. If you want to blow up an entire planet, you're going to have to work on it for a while and you're going to do it with a relatively large and hard to lock-down world (which is always orbiting a much bigger, much harder to lock down world).

I think 5 engines is still a ludicrously low bar for such an unstoppable superweapon. "In the future, there will be other options". Well in the future I might be the president of China. For now, I avoid playing systems with easily buildable smashables.
    vyolin, stormingkiwi and igncom1 like this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Personally I'm a fan of have many if not all of the planets be usable, so that by the end of the game, most of the system is gone.