Ping Kicker.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by racquemis, May 9, 2011.

1. fireuzer

fireuzer New Member

Burger's are a necessity?

I seemed to have missed your answer to the question. If you buy a Gameboy, do you have the right to play it?
  2. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Where did I say Burgers are a necessity? And to answer you, you have the luxury of playing the Gameboy, nowhere are your rights to luxuries stated.
  3. fireuzer

fireuzer New Member

You confirmed that if you buy a burger, you have the right to eat it. Why is this different than a Gameboy?
  4. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Weren't we discussing the ramifications of kicking someone if they reached 300 ping?

I did not know were were playing Monday Night Philosophy.
  5. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

A burger is food. Food is a necessity. Yes I forgot that I stated that, you have me there. But a Gameboy is not a necessity. Your health is not proportionate to your time spent playing a Gameboy, and you know that, for sure.

Edit: To NeoCyberman:

Everyone knows that that is the Tank's favorite game.
  6. fireuzer

fireuzer New Member

Mental stimulation is a necessity, without it the brain will shut down. Gameboy/MNC is one option for this stimulation, just as burgers are one option for the food necessity.

You're confusing right and necessity. They are not one and the same.
  7. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

GameBoy may be a luxury.
    But it is a luxury to which I have the rights, after I made the money to buy one by one via my own time and effort.

Likewise, Donald Trump doesnt have the right to fly around in any jet.
    But he has the right to fly around in his jet. He earned the money (I guess?) and he bought it. Being a luxury doesnt enter into it.

I spend time and energy to make money.
    Then with that money I put $5,000 into this PC and spend another $20 (OMG!!!) on a 100 mbit fiber connection.
    Then more money on the game itself.

After doing everything that is necessary to play the game at a large personal cost, it is completely reasonable for me to be upset should I not be able to play it. Whatever the reason may be.

L. Spiro
  8. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Alright you have me there. Lemme just see where your coming from. Why do you think that you have the right to play a video game? No flaming, just wondering. After this answer we can return to the topic at hand and hopefully keep the topic from being locked.
  9. zenstar

zenstar New Member

You have a right to be able to use what you have purchased for its intended use.

Btw: before you start getting too deep into this: what rights are you arguing about? There are so many different understandings of the concept.

For example: As an animal there are no inalienable rights other than what you can hold onto and fight for. Society grants you certain rights for being a member of that society but different societies give different rights. Then there are more vague rights which are often reffered to in arguments that are basically "this is how things should work and if someone makes them work the other way they deserve a punch in the happy sacks."

Before getting into a major arguement decide what rights you're talking about exactly.
    You don't have a born right to food. That's a right assigned by society trying to make sure it's members are healthy. It also fits as a general "happysack punch" right too.

I agree with L.Spiro though. If I pay money for a game then I should have a decent chance at playing it without the community cutting me off for whatever reason. If you're going to have a public server then it should be public and that means high tollerance for all types (including high ping people).
  10. duckling

duckling New Member

The server administrator has the can do what they want on their server. I don't see how this thread got so long.
  11. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Legal rights. Moral rights and the such are subjective, and therefor useless to an argument.
  12. fireuzer

fireuzer New Member

The question was never about whether or not they can do what they want with their server, it's about whether or not a dwindling community needs tools to make it dwindle faster.

300 is too low a requirement for classes like Support, but it makes perfect sense to kick Snipers. The script just needs a simple modification and I think everyone would be OK with it.

Depending on their play style, Support could theoretically go up to 500 without too much of an issue. There needs to be some gradient for the classes in between.
  13. zenstar

zenstar New Member

Define your region then. Legal rights differ around the world and are therefor useless to an argument until you define your region.

And I believe that you'll find other people are not really arguing legal right.
    Also: subjective things are not useless to an argument as long as both parties can come to an agreed definition for it. For example the moral "killing is wrong" is generally accepted as correct (for most arguments. there are exceptions) but that is a subjective moral.
  14. Llamatron

Llamatron New Member

Your rights and freedom stop where other people's start: if your right to play the game means everyone else on your server is going to get shot through walls, grappled while they see you out of grapple range, or other frustrating stuff like that, you're quite selfish and are not helping the game's population. Some people abuse that and join servers with high ping on purpose, 300ms is already quite a lot with so much instagib moves in game.

btw the "play support if you got high ping" doesn't work, afaik firebases shoot according to the client so they can shoot through walls too, and the shotgun does so much damage that if you get one or even two shots in before the other person reacts it's a huge advantage.

Anyway it's unlikely a lot of servers will run this script, but I'll surely join one running it if I have the choice.
  15. racquemis

racquemis New Member

I honestly don't understand tis entire disccusion, 4 pages of discussion while all i asked was help from a single person. nothing more. :lol:

Well anyway, The stattracker script is nearly complete and it will have a integrated pingkick feature which can be disabled or enabled. But that script is not going public for the time being. thinking of setting up a service that admins can use without using these scripts on their own systems.
  16. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Pretty sure you need to read the part about tailoring it to specific classes, specifically Sniper and Assassin.

And there is no evidence to suggest that Firebases are client-driven.

L. Spiro
  17. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

ITT people telling each other what they shouldn't do with their servers.
  18. fireuzer

fireuzer New Member

ITT people telling each other what kinds of servers they'd refuse to join.

Server admins tend to care about these things, especially since it's very easy to spike up to 300ms for 2 seconds even though you're sitting at a steady ~150ms for 98% of the game.

No one is saying the script shouldn't be developed, just that it should be done so carefully.
  19. racquemis

racquemis New Member

That's why i work with an average that updated at least 4 times a minute. i' m not stupid :lol:
  20. fireuzer

fireuzer New Member

I'm not quite sure how you managed to copy that last line of mine, nor am I sure what you're saying.

By a minute do you mean a second? Please tell me you do because checking ping 4 times a minute is abysmal.