peregrins

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by reptarking, December 19, 2014.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Agreed, bring the Peregrine back, more (units) is better in planetary annihilation
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Only if done right, and the previous advanced fighter was not done right.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

But it's so easy to make it be done right. :\
  4. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Replying to my own post yay. I did the mod, it was cool. Not released on PAMM yet because I'm pretty horrendously ill (I think food poisoning, not the drugs, relax guys :p ) and can barely put a pizza in the oven let alone publish a mod.

Also as you may have seen, the patch today slightly screwed the anti-entity weapons. Here's a .gif if you haven't already seen the countermeasures (ideally both should be firing countermeasures, that's the problem with the patch).
    [​IMG]
    stuart98 and elodea like this.
  5. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Perhaps related to this much loved fix?
    Maybe there's a flag to disable that behavior.
  6. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Thanks burntcustard!

I hadn't even considered that possibility.
    Since it looks like the aircombat has improved, I'm hesitant to say fixed. Even if I accept current balance problems were separate to the problems the peregrin created.

I didn't like how a single peregrin could take out a whole squadran of aircraft alone while barely moving from the spot it originally fired at. So I'm hoping dogfights will be more interesting and tactful if and when they're reintroduced.

Overall though I'm hoping aircraft in general get an hp boost. I understand the problem with being able to mass bombers and snipe a commander, but the current health dies in one-two shot to anything else really irks me.

And I know I wanted bombers to stay out of enemy anti air defense, but I didn't want them to hover on the spot. Maybe long range tac missile? I haven't thought further and these ideas belong elsewhere.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Personally, I'd love to see the Kestrel repurposed as a tanky, low-med DPS gunship meant to tank ground AA.
    And the T2 bomber changed to a strat bomber role (high damage, no AOE or low damage, high AOE). That would be cool :D
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The problem with that is that exactly how the gunships in supcom2 worked, and that was horrificly horrible.

Noting that flys should have more HP then a tank, bar none.
  9. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Didn´t you hear it?!
    The Kestrels are awesome ( :eek: ) right now! :cool:
  10. mered4

By the time you get kestrels, both sides have a substantial airforce and/or AA setup. They aren't a good investment in metal compared to, say, Shellers.
  11. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

So the problem then is everything but vehicles die in 1-2 hits, and vehicles die in 3-4 hits?

Everything should get a ~100% hp buff? So that bots take 2-4 hits, vehicles take 6-8 hits.
    Air would take 2-4 hits?
    That way everything is stronger, but still you can't make 20 bombers and commander snipe.
    Lastly, I never confirmed this for certain but basic bombers 1 hit kill tanks?
    I'd have thought tanks being covered in armour and such would take at least 2 bomb runs to kill.

Going specifically to kestrels, I never really understood how to do any of that fine tuning. A best guess would be to leave it's damage (if we increase the hp of all the units)

At the very least, I'd want to play test this as a curiosity with no other changes to vanilla.
    I say that specifically so no-one feeds me crap about all their brilliant balance mods or that I can make my own:

As much as I respect and am amazed at the work put in, I don't know how to do it myself.
    But I specifically don't want 'lots' of changes made to a game that isn't even complete.

You'll just have to accept my bluntness, I'm genuinely trying to be nice but people keep pointing to mods. I don't want them right now.

On a separate note, I'm noticing basic fighters can shoot backwards? I definitely think they should only shoot at things in front of them. I'd probably say that'd fix lots of balance issues too....
    Last edited: December 25, 2014
  12. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Yes, and that´s completly all-right. You know why? Because they wipe away shellers. Because they wipe away any substantial amouth of AA.
    The Kestrel is one of the most powerful units in the game although their stats aren´t killer-like. It´s surprising that it works out, but it clearly does! Their playstyle---very manuverable, very banding (1= weak, 10=strong, 100=OP , 1000= ultimate) units, very good at guarding any med-sized planet!
    mered4 likes this.
  13. mered4

Yet another reason there needs to be a T2 cost reduction. OP units lurking in the shadows could quickly become a thing of the past.
  14. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I was thinking that Peregrines should cost a little more, be a little better (than hummingbird) , and be able to shoot at ground too.

But I mean, just a little better than hummingbird. Like, in an unlucky situation, a hummingbird could win.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

peregrins should have no aoe weapon but be able to transit through planets on their own with their weapon locked to fire only on airunits when in the airlayer ...
    that way humming birds stay a good defenderschoice
    julien119 likes this.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

that might be a good idea, as I think currently there is no such unit that can go to another planet and directly fight air units there?
    elodea likes this.
  17. MrTBSC

currently the austreus is the only unit able to transit between planets and entering the air layer but it simply isnt a combat unit ...
  18. MrTBSC

we have 2 units not used at all which are at moment the grenadier and t2 combat fabricator ... more is not better for when a unit is not used entirely ...
    bengeocth likes this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's just due to wonky balance, I'd say a T2 fighter would be nice for some role outside that of the t1 fighter, a role could even be as simple as a dedicated anti-bomber fighter (t1 fighters prioritize fighters over bombers).
  20. MrTBSC

it is fairly simple has the unit a real use?
    if yes then it can stay in the unitpool
    if not than it's a waste and should be either reworked or taken out ...
    i also gave a suggestion for the peregrin already ... something people asked for quite a while ...