Pelter and Holkins

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by probodobodyne, August 24, 2015.

1. whiskeyninja

whiskeyninja Member

I kind of like the idea of Pelters being cheaper and basically useless solo, but fairly dangerous if you group 3-5 together. If you give the enemy that long to build them up, you deserve the extra effort of amassing an air force to counter it. Just make them weaker to bombers, so a suicide run can chop them up.
  2. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Exactly. Sometimes, in a battle on multiple fronts, the extra distraction caused by a pelter will either go unnoticed and wreck havoc over time, or will will cause him to not pay attention to his bomber force for a few seconds as your ravage it with fighters. Generally, building a pelter or two will take less attention that getting rid of said pelters.
  3. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Fair enough, but how do you sustain attrition with the Pelter considering how meager its range is? If it is near the enemy base they are in a better position to attack it, so even if you deal with its very high build time and set up defenses it still costs more time and effort than is worth the performance you'll get most of the time.

Oh and I think it might go a long way if Holkins dealt additional damage to Titans; something worth thinking about.
  4. huangth

huangth Active Member

In my opinion, both arty building is fine.

In 1vs1, the Pelter is still useful for some situation.
    For example, when both sides push to a near position, and they all build some defensive structures with walls.
    It is risky for both side to rush enemy's forward base.
    Then it is time to build the Pelter and create the pressure to enemy.

I think the real useless arty building is the tactical missile launcher Catapult.
    It gets even shorter range than the Pelter gets.
    It is T2 building, and it is even more expensive.
    And its missile can be shot down by bot sniper GIE.
    I can't find out when I should build the Catapult.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

you should build cats whenever you aren't facing a pure not army. Facing orbital? Build cats. Air? Cats and flak. Vehicles? Mass cats. Titans? Cats. They are quite useful.
  6. huangth

huangth Active Member

I meet an opponent who builds many catapults.
    Soon I realize that the catapult is good to against T2 tanks.
    They are not as weak as I thought.

I feel the catapults is not suitable to kill small unit due to its overkill and low RoF.
    It is more suitable in middle and late game.
  7. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I think the catapult is fine but it needs a range increase. It should be closer to the t2 artillery range.
  8. huangth

huangth Active Member

Disagree, it will be too overpower.

Since it is very accurate, it should be treated as a point deference rather than arty building.
    And its range is quite good for a point deference.
    Last edited: September 7, 2015
  9. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Pelters and Holkins are fine as far as I'm concerned; excellent choice for contesting an area, cheap and effeective without being OP

I agree with philoscience regarding the catapult range; they're just shy of being effective enough in a defence role, primarily in the anti-orbital setup, as they're realistically the only proper static defence worth a damn vs Omegas, but still aren't effective enough due to range limitation. I'd like to see it buffed by 5% range, maybe 5% anti-orbital damage