PC Rig Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thebigpill, April 21, 2014.

1. teju__

teju__ Active Member

Yes, I tried reusing them, but they were really bumpy and partly lost their shape. I think it might be possible if you are extremely careful and lucky, although I tried to be careful and it didn't work.

And damn, 15€ is like a third of what it costs on amazon now.:eek:
  2. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Nice, now I can get egoboosts in CPM again :D
    Also OT: went back to the
    W M O
    M
    O

[​IMG]
    JammySTB likes this.
  3. teju__

teju__ Active Member

Just you wai't. I will get huge train and make lots of ninja rails and damagé!

Also OT: What is with the steelseries logo? I saw those remade wmos on e-bay and wondered if they used some steelseries parts or whether they somehow sponsored it or if it's just there to confuse people. :confused:
  4. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

I honestly haven't got a clue. I got mine from eBay and as far as I can tell, it's just a stock wmo with a paint job (though the cable is a bit shorter than I remember from my old wmo). Maybe takasta (the eBay wmo/ime guy) has some kind of sponsorship thing going on with SS?
  5. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Took pictures for other uses so might as well up one here for better quality. These default keycaps are pretty bad.

sets.JPG
  6. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

A kings background?
  7. poiuasd

I like them.
  8. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Took these pics with my galaxy s4 so they may be a bit average. Anyway here's my personal setup.
    Specs are:
    Desktop:
    AMD FX 8320 3.5ghz 8 core
    12GB RAM
    2x 1TB HDD's
    ASROCK 970 Pro3 r2.0
    Sapphire AMD R9 270x Toxic Edition
    Corsair H50 liquid cooler (Closed loop)

Laptop: Asus ROG g74sx
    Nvidia gtx 560m
    16gb RAM
    2x 720gb HDD
    Core i7 (Dont remember model atm)

(Brace for incoming image spam)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. poiuasd

Do you actually like those LEDs or did you buy those particular illuminated parts because they were cheap?
  10. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I originally got this case from a friend who was upgrading a long time ago. The fans just happened to be included. I've been thinking of upgrading the fans to something more quiet like some noctua ones but at $30 each they're too damn expensive.
  11. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

OMFG there are cabels everywhere:eek:
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Ah yeah I finally replaced the old secondary 17" and 19" 4:3 screens with matching 21,5" 1080p screens:
    [​IMG]

before I'd have argued the difference would not be that big, but it turns out having matching screens is quite a difference, not only for a few games, but only i.e. when you move notepad++ to the side: it won't suddenly have a ton more linebreaks.
    reptarking, cdrkf and cwarner7264 like this.
  13. tollman

tollman Member

What is your central screen? Almost looks 16:10 but I guess that could be because of the bigger bezel. Did you go for 21.5 instead of something like a 24 for cost or because of table space? Or perhaps because then they would be larger than the central monitor? Just curious about your thinking as it may aid me in my own thinking for a future setup.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

EVE player I see - I bet your spreadsheets look so much better on those ;)
    zihuatanejo, Gorbles and cola_colin like this.
  15. cola_colin

Only started playing eve a few weeks ago. And yes those spreadsheets look so damn good when I can place them on all 3 screens ;)

They are all 21,5 1080p
    I got the 21,5 a few years ago as my first 1080p screen and had old 4:3 screens next to it for a while. 21,5 simply because I like the size, bigger without more resolution imho doesn't actually help since you don't actually get more space if you have the same resolution and I sit rather close to the screens anyway. And much bigger would simply not fit on my desk. 21,5 looks like the limit.
    The news ones are 21,5 to match the central one as closely as possible. Though there is a difference between the middle one and the secondaries: The middle is a fast 2ms tn panel. The secondaries are 5ms IPS panels. I think the better view angle of IPS matters more for the secondaries, since they aren't exactly in front of me.
    reptarking and cwarner7264 like this.
  16. tollman

tollman Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Aesthetically your current setup looks nice and symmetrical but I'd be tempted to put an IPS directly in-front for your main screen as IPS screens are so much nicer. The TN would still be angled to face you so the angle in theory should not be a major problem. Regardless, it is a really nice setup which I hope to somewhat emulate one day :)
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Just got a 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD, very happy with it. Very unhappy with MS, won't let me reinstall Windows to the drive without calling their support channel. Bliddy hell.

I mean I could hack it across, but that involves booting into Linux or another Windows-based HDD.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

RIP the rest of your gaming life ;)
  19. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Played EVE for 10 months, didn't use a single spreadsheet
  20. cola_colin

Yeah writing my own programs to do analysis is better anyway. It does print out a simple table with stuff though.
    reptarking and cwarner7264 like this.