Pay to Win?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by 1158511, September 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sumo0

sumo0 New Member

I know that everyone will get commanders with abilities. My point is that when i buy the game and become a paying customer i want to have access to the same abilities (can be translated into gameplay related stuff) as the Kickstarter backers and any other customer.

If that is already the case then plz tell me and shut me up:)

As stated earlier, i don't care about fluff. Give them all the fluff they need.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

If you can play any game that uses even remotely balanced incomparables then you're not paying to win.

If Uber can't balance their incomparables then we'll have a problem... but I doubt that.

So, "shut up"?
    Last edited: June 25, 2013
  3. omega4

omega4 Member

And it doesn't mean that they can be balanced as well.

Then it sounds like a "we" problem.

But please do continue the ad hominems. There's nothing better than listening to elitists and fervent backers of a game who think that its developers can do no wrong.

4. omega4

omega4 Member

If you can't tolerate other people's opinions or questions, then how about ignoring them instead of being a jerk.

5. nanolathe

Pfft, Uber's done plenty I consider wrong. Don't try and tar and feather me as an apologist, because I'm not.

And he told me I could say it if you'd check his post. Maybe reading more than one post at a time is too difficult for you, seeing as you double-post most of the time, hmm?
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I never said anything about being perfect, nothing is perfect the first go around.

You know what , I say with certainty that balancing out the abilities will be tough, and given people's ignorant reactions so far, it'll be an uphill battle. The point is that they'll work at it,they won't ignore it and they won't let it ruin the experience, even if that mean ultimately cutting it once they've tried making it work.

It's funny because that line has nothing to do with abilities, it's actually referring to the possibility of different stats like HP and such, similar to what we had in SupCom with each ACU being a bit different on top of having different upgrades.

Also because you seem to be having a hard time grasping this, Uber's Goal is for balance abilities, they' said it time and again. If an Ability happens to be out of line with the others, it will be FIXED.

That is the WHOLE POINT of it being called a "Single" Unit Pool, it contains ALL abilities. I described how it work in the post right after yours. If the description is confusing, please explain what specifically is confusing you.

So you're saying things have to be the same to be balanced? or just arguing semantics?

Mike
  7. omega4

omega4 Member

Then don't try to tar and feather others for sharing their opinions on a public forum with a goal towards bettering PA. Because that's what its here for.

8. nanolathe

Things most definitely don't need to be the "same" to be balanced. The idea of scales would go right out the window if that were even remotely true.

I also didn't tar and feather you (or the previous poster) as anything. I can only assume you don't know what the term "tar and feathered" means in this context.
  9. omega4

omega4 Member

No, things don't have to be identical to be balanced. But there's no denying that it's the easiest way to ensure that things are balanced with respect to abilities and the like.

I thought that was why Uber decided not to have different factions (e.g. Arm, Core) but that all players would have access to the same types of units from the start. Or am I mistaken?
  10. nanolathe

They did that to cut costs.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Primarily to cut costs, the are other benefits such as being easier to balance as well.

I also find it horribly ironic how people lament the loss of TA/SupCom style factions where every unit is different yet are resistant to allowing a SINGLE unit to be different.

Mike
  12. nanolathe

A convenient side effect, yes. But cutting costs was the primary concern there, you must concede.
  13. omega4

omega4 Member

I can understand how nervous you are being an Alpha backer and all. You're probably scared that a number of non-backers will come on these forums and mess up a game that you spent money on as an Alpha backer. It explains why you're reacting to others' opinions and acting so defensively.

Perhaps you should have more faith in Uber's doing the right thing.

Or maybe you can start an Alpha backers-only forum. That way, all the Alpha-backers' opinions won't get diluted with opinions from the rest of us (who are fervent fans of RTS games like TA and SCFA).

14. nanolathe

You do realise the irony, right?
    :lol:
  15. omega4

omega4 Member

Where did I ever say I lamented losing the TA/SCFA factions? I miss the stylings of the TA/SCFA units.

I'm not fond of the lego-looking cartoon network stylings of PA. So long as they look like either Arm or Core units at the end of the day, I couldn't care less if there's one faction or not.

Better yet, create different skins for different factions but keep their unit attributes identical.

-----

I realize that sarcasm and the Internet don't mix as well as they do in real life....

-----

Not a good sign if Uber is concerned about costs even after convincing some to buy access to PA alpha for $90....

Last edited by a moderator: June 25, 2013
  16. nanolathe

You weren't being sarcastic, you were trying to make a snide comment and it backfired.
    :cool:

Edit: A triple post? are you kidding me?

Use the damn Edit button for Science's sake.
  17. omega4

omega4 Member

Like I said, sarcasm and the Internet don't mix well.

Or did you think I was being serious about creating an Alpha-only forum as well.

Oh wait, you DID think I was being serious..... Too funny.

18. nanolathe

Huh, I was wondering where half my posts were when they don't show up in the GD subforum.

Crazy stuff these internets, eh? Maybe I need to sit down and have a cup of tea to clear my obviously addled brains. :roll:
  19. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Why are we posting in an old and dead thread?
  20. nanolathe

Better than someone making a new, superfluous one I guess. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.