Pay to Win?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by 1158511, September 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

You Rock. Thank You.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's more likely you mis-interpreted me, I'm been on Neutrino's side on this issue the whole time.

All abilities will be part of the same pool. Think of it this way, there are 8 Abilities, A-H.

Alpha might have A+D
    Progenitor might have B+G
    Delta might have D+F
    My Custom Commander might Have C+E

Ability D is the same for Both Alpha and Delta, or any other Commander that uses it. Along with that it meas that over time as we get more and more Commanders, depending on the size of the Ability Pool, some of those commanders will share teh same abilities as other commanders.

Whether the differences stop with Abilities, we don't know yet thought it seems likely.

Mike
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Other than the Mavor commander will be able to fire nukes at will for free ;)
  5. KNight

I'd expect nothing less, but the real question is;

Billy Nucks? ;p

Mike
  6. apocatequil

apocatequil Member

Any words on whether or not Notch's commander will be able to summon an Enderdragon?

I'm assuming that it's relatively obvious that he's one of the 10k backers. lol
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

No but it forces textured blending to point sampled.
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I also have never said anything contrary to what Neutrino has been saying about Commanders since we first started getting information.

I have no idea who you heard this from nlspeed911, but it wasn't me.
  9. laurenrarity

laurenrarity New Member

I do like the pay to win butten idea. Could bring in a lot of money. People pay for the silliest things nowadays so i bet this would profit too.

I can imagine it being a good trap too. Someone REALLY desperate is about to lose, presses pay to win butten but oops. He didn't fill out the credit card information and such yet so he has to start typing in his info and by the time he would be clicking the finish button, bam. "YOU LOST" in big letters over the screen cause he took too much time and his enemy whooped him.
  10. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Oooh, yeah, that's it then I guess. Awesome idea, that!
  11. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Your trolling us right?
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

see?

listen to this guy.
  13. KNight

Why? He assumes that Uber;

A] Can't balance thier own game.

B] Would listen to idiots that blame something completely unrelated to thier loss just because it's different.

Mike
  14. sumo0

sumo0 New Member

+1
    I'm not a kickstarter backer, but i will probably buy the game since i loved TA and supcom. But some people getting special commanders with special abilities creeps me out tbh. It's definately a push in the direction of a complete turnoff.

Don't hand out tools just for a select few just because they bought the game on Kickstarter (im going to be a customer aswell, duh).
    The Kickstarter backer: B-but, we were funding it on Kickstarter yada yada jibberish blabla.
    Give everybody the same tools.

If it will just be visual then i don't give a rats arse. I never notice if people have a "special" skin for their small pixelated unit anyways.

Let the community vote on it atleast.
  15. KNight

You make it sound like they're the only ones getting anything, but do you really think Uber is like that? here is a basic outline of the plan as we know it, based on lots of discussion with Neutrino back when the Delta was still all fresh and new.

First off, if you have access to the Backer's Lounge, Read this thread instead, it's much more indepth. If you've pre-ordered and don't have access you should PM Garat to get that fixed up.

Anyways, here is the short version of what we know so far based on talks with Neutrino back when the Delta was the new kid on the block.

All abilities will be part of the same pool. Think of it this way, there are 8 Abilities, A-H.

Alpha might have A+D
    Progenitor might have B+G
    Delta might have D+F
    My Custom Commander might Have C+E

Ability D is the same for Both Alpha and Delta, or any other Commander that uses it. Along with that it meas that over time as we get more and more Commanders, depending on the size of the Ability Pool, some of those commanders will share teh same abilities as other commanders.

Whether the differences stop with Abilities, we don't know yet thought it seems likely.

Mike
  16. omega4

omega4 Member

That's not how I read what he's saying.

I read it as his saying that some players (kickstarter backers) will get special abilities that will be superior to those abilities that other players get.

If true, then that could possibly lead to an uneven playing field.

If not, then we'll just have to wait and see....

17. KNight

And clearly you either didn't read, or didn't grasp my explanation, a Singular Unit pool doesn't truly allow for 'special treatment' like so many people assume.

Mike
  18. omega4

omega4 Member

I don't think he's saying that at all.

While comparing these games are apples and oranges, I just came from Planetside 2. Its developers are having an incredibly hard time balancing that game.

Even games like TA and SCFA weren't perfectly balanced. And if I understand it correctly, many of the developers from both games are now working at Uber.

So while I do have faith that Uber will get the balance right, I also think that other people are bringing up legitimate concerns that should not be dismissed so casually nor taken so lightly.

19. omega4

omega4 Member

And clearly you don't remember your own words:

"Whether the differences stop with Abilities, we don't know yet thought it seems likely."

Your assuming that all these different abilities are balanced. But what if they aren't.

20. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

That sounds like a "you" problem.

If abilities aren't the same, doesn't mean they can't be balanced. Look at Dota and LoL; their heroes and champions have different abilities and they're considered balanced due to incomparables.
    Last edited: June 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.