Paper units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lauri0, October 7, 2013.

1. cfehunter

cfehunter New Member

I have to point out that in both warcraft and starcraft you'll be lucky if you have ~30 of those units; in PA, on a full scale map, you should be looking at hundreds at least.
    They could do with a bit of a health bump but not eight times their current health.
    fajitas23 likes this.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I didnt't play much Supcom (didn't even try it in multiplayer) but I felt very satisfied when taking down a 'The Can' or a Bulldog in TA. After all they felt like heavy units which were worth killing.

Which is exactly what we want? This would increase unit diversity, keep early game units viable throughout the game and encourages unit mixing instead of spamming T2 tanks.
  3. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

I haven't played TA.. but didn't people have way less units in TA than in SupCom? Even in SupCom units died quite fast.
    beer4blood likes this.
  4. fajitas23

fajitas23 Member

Good! Please listen to the other side, as well. Many, (most?) like the current HP system. We don't rave about it on the forum as we are busy playing PA or watching replays on youtube.

I don't want another Starcraft. I haven't even tried Starcraft 2. Blizzard made clear with Warcraft 3, that they are not interested in real time strategy but tactics. Unfortunately much of the industry followed.
    PA is focused on big battles and macro. Its an RTS. At least that what I got from the Kickstarter campaign.

PS: For the people who claim that there is currently no micro:
    http://pamatches.com/
    Find me one pro game where micro doesn't have a huge impact.
  5. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Simply build more units.... and micro is still in effect my three to four smaller groups of units always kill a unit blob. Flank and overcome!!!!
    fajitas23 likes this.
  6. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

YES!!!! UNIT FORMATIONS!!!! o_O :D
  7. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

If so it should be slight....IMO blue bottle or whatever do significantly well with their current Los
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll be able to mod the HP of each unit anyway in the final version so you can make those big big battles last longer if you want to.
  9. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I will throw this into the conversation......I think the defensive laser damage could be nerfed a little, or cost increase or both...... yes it should require a sizeable number of units to over run a defensive laser but I feel currently the speed at which lasers can be placed vs the number of units you can produce too overcome said embattlements is far to big of a difference....
  10. hanspeterschnitzel

Use mobile artillery.
  11. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Weapons are suppose to destroy and kill... I bet you the same people who are complaining about this would also complain if the units where harder to kill or had more health... They will be my commander dies right away or my base is destroyed right away because the units take way to long to kill... My defenses are useless because they don't kill the units fast enough... Supreme Commander got this right and when you are able to produce so many units so easily and fast why shouldn't they be able to kill or destroy each other just as fast... If you have not played Supreme Commander check out the Humblebundle you can get 9 games for 6 bucks and that includes Supreme Command and the expansion Forged Alliance...
  12. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

The more you increase hit points per dps, the worse point defense becomes.

Annoyed me so much when units in supreme commander walk past my lines of defense.....
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

What I was trying to say is that currently you can't micro for s hit.

It's easy to get the impression you have some margin of action when you compare doing nothing to trying to focus 100% on a unit or a group of units to doing nothing/a simple move command.

But you can't possibly compare the micro you could do in FA to the current micro microcosm of PA.
    Last edited: October 9, 2013
  14. boardroomhero

boardroomhero New Member

Why would that increase unit diversity? Right now, you get a huge advantage from mixing T1 and T2, because T1 is so very much cheaper, and through sheer number of bodies protects your T2. The only balancing that's required is 'costing' the T2 correctly, to ensure that a good balance is required.
  15. godde

godde Well-Known Member

You can perform micro in PA. Kiting, dodging.
    You can also do this with large groups of units which was impossible because of the delay between units getting their orders in SupCom and because the of the pathing where units will bump into eachother.
  16. hanspeterschnitzel

And this game is macro not micro heavy and is supposed to be like that. You aren't supposed to give ten bots in an army that has a few hundred bots some special orders or anything. This isn't Starcraft.
  17. lauri0

lauri0 Member

I think people are taking this too generally. Partly because I weren't specific enough initially. I updated the OP with a second edit. What bothers me is the fragility of more expensive(mostly T2) units. Low tier units seem pretty ok-ish.

Currently, low tier units have more effective HP when fighting each other compared to more expensive units. This should be the other way around.
  18. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

they need to die: not so fast, but no so slow.
  19. boardroomhero

boardroomhero New Member

While interesting, I disagree.

This, right here, is the reason why you have mixed groups of units. At the moment, you're paying a /lot/ more, per HP, for a Leveler than a T1 unit. That's what makes T1 viable late game- you get a ton more 'resistance' per metal spent. Levelers are very powerful, but you have to be careful with them due to their fragility. This also increases, on many levels, the amount of 'strategic' micro involved- you want to kite and be careful with you Levelers, because if they get flanked and attacked, they disappear quickly.
  20. lauri0

lauri0 Member

I'd rather T1 units would be viable late game due to their mobility or other traits than due to T2 units being made fragile and papery. Almost every single modern and non-modern RTS has solved the problem of T1 viabilty with other methods, why can't PA?
    Gerfand likes this.