Paging Neutrino...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by arm2thecore, June 19, 2014.

1. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Jon, I know you've got to be up to your neck in stuff, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been missing your posts and live stream participation. :)

Any chance of a status report from your view? How do you feel things are progressing? Any technical challenges you're finding exceptionally intriguing at this point?
    LavaSnake, tollman and hahapants like this.
  2. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Im still waiting for a email from him actually :p Sent it to him a while ago, but he probably is super busy.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I... am not sure why you.... but nvm that, it is none of my business. Have you tried submitting it to garat, brad nicholson, and metabolical as well? Usually you will get a reply from one of them and ofc they can talk to each other.

But, about the OP, there have been plenty of status reports from garat and brad and meta, and they sort of all present the game, the only difference is authorship. I enjoy all the updates despite the author personally, and meta's are popular because of the gameplay.
  4. duncane

duncane Active Member

I second the OP. I would love to hear an update from Mavor. Has he left Uber?
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lol I very much doubt it given he's one of the owners of the company?!
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

... the co founder of uber ? ... r ye cereal???
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

jumptoconclusion.jpg
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yes why... why would you think that? If that was just an attempt to coax him out of hiding, that is just silly. That is why I asked you to contact brad/garat/meta if you absolutely must, because they could literally bring whatever you give them, and hand it straight to him, seeing as how he has a game to work on MORE than he has a forum to check.

The devs said some time ago, that they are micro celebrities, a LOT of people try to contact them, and honestly some devs don't want to socialize with an entire 100,000+ person game community, they just work as a part of the Uber Entertainment company, and they don't even know what they should or can say about their work with "graphic design" or "net code".

Neutrino is usually very visual, and he definitely believes in Uber and their work being visual as a Kickstarted game, however they have to have something to present to you, and I am sure Neutrino personally has nothing to present that Meta, Garat, and Brad wasn't already streaming and such.

In other words, it isn't about the absence, it is about the necessity for presence. Saying "Hi" is nice every once in a while, but they aren't celebrities, they are a game production company. Go say "Hi" to wrongcat, zaphodx, marshall, or purkiss, they all stream, they love to say "Hi" to interested community members. They are at least closer to celebrities.

+1 to image above.
    brianpurkiss, Remy561 and popededi like this.
  9. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

robber364 likes this.
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm still alive guys (and gals)!

First off I want to say that the game is substantially close to my original idea of how this should play out. There are still a few minor missing things and quite a bit of playing with the tuning but overall it's in really great shape. As you guys know we don't plan on stopping support of the game after release. We are rapidly heading to the point where we are going to spend serious cycles on polish.

Very well. The technical challenges of this game were immensely greater than I initially realized. I also made some decisions that were long term in nature that made certain things more difficult (for example arbitrary topology of the planets that open up a ton of future possibilities). At this point we have a large team (much larger than originally anticipated) cranking at full speed.

The biggest one really is that all of the "cheat" rules get thrown out the door when dealing with round planets. Almost every aspect of the code is more complex because of that. What is "down" and what does it mean? You have to take a gravity centric approach instead of just relying on -Z being down.

Orbital has been the biggest gameplay design challenge by far. I think we will continue to make it better over time as we all explore the possibilities in that space.

Overall the game feels pretty epic to me and is true to the original concept in my head. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys can do with the engine as we expose more mod stuff.
  11. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Glad to see you're still alive neutrino! GL with everything you're workin' on!
  12. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Hi! :cool:
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  13. sookrispy

sookrispy Active Member

Ummm....Can anyone tell me what Neutrino's position or role is in uber?
  14. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

He's the CTO and visionary behind PA.
    melhem19 likes this.
  15. sookrispy

sookrispy Active Member

So that's why he is better than you at the game....
    tehtrekd, wpmarshall and garat like this.
  16. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I love how Garat liked that post.
  17. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Thanks for the report, Jon! It has been great watching this journey unfold - great work.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  18. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

#shotsfired #NicholsonvsMavor2014
  19. plink

plink Active Member

Good stuff as always sir, thanks for the update!
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

What if that's an imposter?